Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Ford Mustang 5.0 automatic trans shift point assistance

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    GHuggins you can shoot it to bill at hptuners.com, I'm going to try disabling the anticipated shifting and go from there. I'll make sure to either report back here or eventually try to create a write up on some stuff as there really doesn't seem to be much public how to information for these tcm's unfortunately.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

It took me a while to get it figured out too, but this is what I found works:

First disable anticipated shifts

Datalog vehicle speed and undriven wheel speed. These should match and at the most vary by 1-2 mph at most throughout the log. If they don't match, adjust vss tire revs until they are close.

Under Normal RPM Limit set 1st and 2nd gear at 5500RPM

In your datalog, see where your MPH is where you want your RPM shift to be commanded. Set MPH to 1MPH above what the MPH is at that point.
    Now, with anticipated shifts off, commanding the shift is not where the shift will actually complete. For instance, in 1st, I target my shift to occur at 7700RPM, but I have to command my shift in 1st at 6200RPM

In second I command my shift at 6900RPM for instance. Your datalog will prove that your shift commands at these RPM's even though the shift will complete much later (the RPM you really want the shift completing)

Last, if you still see your shift being commanded before the RPM or MPH you specified, you may need to play around with N/V base increasing it. There is a relationship between what the ECU thinks your RPM is relative to MPH and N/V base drives that calculation. So having N/V set too low can cause the ECU to think it should be shifting earlier because it has hit the targeted MPH before the WOT RPM.

I hope this helps Bill! These are all the steps I had to do to get my car to shift and target the shift where I want it to.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dbb2797 View Post

Datalog vehicle speed and undriven wheel speed. These should match and at the most vary by 1-2 mph at most throughout the log. If they don't match, adjust vss tire revs until they are close.

In your datalog, see where your MPH is where you want your RPM shift to be commanded. Set MPH to 1MPH above what the MPH is at that point.
    Now, with anticipated shifts off, commanding the shift is not where the shift will actually complete. For instance, in 1st, I target my shift to occur at 7700RPM, but I have to command my shift in 1st at 6200RPM

In second I command my shift at 6900RPM for instance. Your datalog will prove that your shift commands at these RPM's even though the shift will complete much later (the RPM you really want the shift completing)

Last, if you still see your shift being commanded before the RPM or MPH you specified, you may need to play around with N/V base increasing it. There is a relationship between what the ECU thinks your RPM is relative to MPH and N/V base drives that calculation. So having N/V set too low can cause the ECU to think it should be shifting earlier because it has hit the targeted MPH before the WOT RPM.

I hope this helps Bill! These are all the steps I had to do to get my car to shift and target the shift where I want it to.
    Good info. Also set Max Accel. to 100.

I have my car shifting at ~8K N/A. Best of 10.56 in the 1/4 mile and holds the record for stock long block N/A 11-14 1/4 mile time. Stock fuel system to boot.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Good info. Also set Max Accel. to 100.

I have my car shifting at ~8K N/A. Best of 10.56 in the 1/4 mile and holds the record for stock long block N/A 11-14 1/4 mile time. Stock fuel system to boot.
    What does the max accel do exactly? I've seen some people adjust it upwards a bit, stock setting is 35

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbb2797 View Post

To sum this up, stupid ford logic

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    What does the max accel do exactly? I've seen some people adjust it upwards a bit, stock setting is 35
    If you have anticipated shifts enabled it used to calculate the RPM at which to shift based on acceleration rate.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    If you have anticipated shifts enabled it used to calculate the RPM at which to shift based on acceleration rate.
    Does upping or lowering make it shift quicker? Later? I could have really known that a while ago
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Raising it allows the PCM to more accurately calculate when to begin the shift on a car significantly quicker than stock, though even on a supercharged car, I haven't seen a difference. My junk's probably not near fast enough though to notice.

Senior Tuner
    Max accel is used in traction control logic not shift anticipation.

Thanks for the clarification. Explains why I never saw a difference.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Bill, if you don't have this fixed yet I have a 14 that shifted rather nicely - it was a roush tune, but should still work for you / I did have to change things a little to make it shift sooner - kept hitting the rev limiter before it would shift otherwise, but I can send them to you or whatever you prefer.
    Would you mind letting me give that a try?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thanks for all your help guys I believe I'm making some good progress now, by disabling the anticipated shifts I was able to get the vehicle to shift at 6850 in 1st gear, I'll need to do some more testing for verification but things appear to be moving in a positive direction at least.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Did another run through 1st & 2nd today, shifting as well as I could've hoped. Advanced traction control turned off shifts at 6850 in first and 7000 in second. Now to start on timing a bit. At least we have mapped points pids so its not horrible to log

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Did another run through 1st & 2nd today, shifting as well as I could've hoped. Advanced traction control turned off shifts at 6850 in first and 7000 in second. Now to start on timing a bit. At least we have mapped points pids so its not horrible to log
    Yeah log the Mapped points and lower the OP enable load so you can go to the OP map quicker. Also disable "OP enrich required"(or something like that) in the VVT section of the tune...