Thread: Truck PCM Calibration to Camaro PCM Cali.

Truck PCM Calibration to Camaro PCM Cali.

Sorry for the new post, but since this is a little different from my A/C Fan post, I figured I make a new one.

I need some guidance right now as I'm still new and learning each day..

Doing research, it's been said to use the Camaro/F-Body calibration if I want the fans to enable/disable when the A/C is working.

That being said is it just as simple as going to System-> General -> Platform Type, and changing 'GMT800' to 'F-Body'?

Or do I need to find a stock tune from the HPT repository and use it?

Lastly, looking at the PCM pin-outs differences between the Camaro and Truck PCM's from 99-2002, they are virtually the same other than changing a few pins for the TPS & Map sensor? or is there more to that?

Advanced Tuner
    I dont think you need to go that far, just change the Fan settings in System -> Fans and look at the Fan Type parameter. If that doesn't get you the results you need, then you're going to be segment swapping in a Camaro/F-Body system segment and adjusting the wiring as necessary.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I dont think you need to go that far, just change the Fan settings in System -> Fans and look at the Fan Type parameter. If that doesn't get you the results you need, then you're going to be segment swapping in a Camaro/F-Body system segment and adjusting the wiring as necessary.
    Unfortunately, changing the fan Parameters only affects it with Engine Coolant temperatures, from all the documentation I've been reading up the Truck system has no control for fans when the a/c is operating, the only system that can handle that is the f-body system.

I've been looking at LT1Swap.com and comparing the wiring between the Truck harness (which I have now) & the F-body harness, it looks like their is only about 5 pins I have to swap, however my question still remains.

Can I simply just change the Platform type from 'GMT800' to 'F-Body'? within HPT or do I have to pretty much get a complete F-Body stock tune from the HPT repository and use that instead?
    Last edited by AnimeFunTV; 08-05-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added

It does say on the bottom that changing the Platform type is not recommend by HP tuners.

I believe because you are still running a truck operating system and not a F-body operating system and the serial ID is different between the two as well.

I would try using the segment swap feature first before switching other things.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It does say on the bottom that changing the Platform type is not recommend by HP tuners.

I believe because you are still running a truck operating system and not a F-body operating system and the serial ID is different between the two as well.

You are correct, however I'm not sure by what you mean by segment swap. Be easy on me, I've only had HPT for about 3 weeks now, lol.
    Last edited by AnimeFunTV; 08-05-2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: edit

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeFunTV View Post
    Unfortunately, changing the fan Parameters only affects it with Engine Coolant temperatures, from all the documentation I've been reading up the Truck system has no control for fans when the a/c is operating, the only system that can handle that is the f-body system.

I've been looking at LT1Swap.com and comparing the wiring between the Truck harness (which I have now) & the F-body harness, it looks like their is only about 5 pins I have to swap, however my question still remains.

Can I simply just change the Platform type from 'GMT800' to 'F-Body'? within HPT or do I have to pretty much get a complete F-Body stock tune from the HPT repository and use that instead?
    If you have a 99-00 OS now, you will need to upgrade to a 01-02 OS from what I've read. Then you can segment swap a F-Body System segment in and it *should* work.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

I agree, it's more of an indicator of what the OS is setup for, not a changeable parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeFunTV View Post
    You are correct, however I'm not sure by what you mean by segment swap. Be easy on me, I've only had HPT for about 3 weeks now, lol.
    You need to get a F-Body file with the same OS # as your current file. Use this guide to segment swap the System piece over: Segment Swap Tutorial
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

Tuner
    i switched my platform option from gmt800 to f body, and swapped over all differences in the calibration from truck to f body, when I swapped a lq4 into my 95 f body. I wired in the ac and fans to work properly with the truck pcm it can be done without a segment swap I know hp doesn't recommend it but I have a few extra pcms so I figured id try
    95 z28 with 6.0, 243's milled .030 to about 11:1, ls6 intake and tb, brian tooley stage 3 231/242 617/593 112 lsa , fast/ areomotive fuel system, 1 7/8 tsp longtubes, no cats, turbo 400, 36 lbs GTP injectors

Well after much tinkering and the loss of 2 GM credits (more on that) I finally got it to work.

First off, I have two Truck PCM's the first one is the one I've been using, its the 2001 Truck PCM (PCM 1) with the 12208322 OS. The other is a spare 2002 Truck PCM (PCM 2) with a 12212156 OS.

I downloaded a stock 2002 Camaro from the HPT bin repository and pretty much went setting-to-setting transferring over the info from PCM 1 into this tune. The thought in my mind was since this was a Camaro bin is a 2002 and my PCM 2 is the same year with the OS I needed so I would just copy and paste the settings for the engine but leave the a/c & fans portion alone that way I can use the camaro calibration inside PCM 2.

So after about an hour of copy & pasting I was ready to save the camaro/PCM 1 bin file, that required me to use up 2 credits.

Well I thought "Okay, I'll just gonna load up the camaro/PCM 1 bin into the PCM 2 and that should work."

NOPE! Again, I'm new to HPT and tuning in general and when I went to try and load up the camaro/pcm 1 into PCM 2 the serials/vins didn't match (obviously) so I just blew 2 of my credits for nothing....

Frustrated I just walked away for a few minutes, got some cold water and just pondered my next steps....

My next game plan was to pull the bin off of PCM 2 and see what was inside it, that's when I found out it had the same OS as the 02 Camaro bin, by this time I was already reading up on ya'lls replies about doing segment swapping.

So I figured 'Why not?" Using the Camaro/PCM1 bin, I just segment swapped EVERYTHING over on to the PCM 2 bin. Saved it using 2 more credits and this time everything uploaded well into PCM 2.

Now for the fun part...

I started it up and everything ran okay, even though I didn't change out any of the wiring as the camaro and truck harnesses differ in some area's.

I shut it off and mocked wired this up...

1110.jpg

I wanted to see if this setup would work with the resistor in place and the 12v compressor relay, in short it did, but only one of the fans worked. I fiddled with the fan settings to try and enable the 2nd fan when the a/c turned on but the more I fooled around with it the less and less the fan would work or just cycle on and off.

So I reverted back and left it as it was when I first uploaded the Camaro/PCM1 tune that worked initially.

Next I went ahead and went to System->A/C->Hardware->Type Fitted, for the camaro it uses 'Analog' I switched it to 'Analog Cycling'.

What I wanted to test, IF I removed all the mock wiring, would the A/C fan(s) still work?

In short, YES! Well at least that one fan did, but beggars cant be choosers.

To try and make a long story short, I swapped out the PCM 2, put the PCM 1 back in and looked at its fan and A/C settings again copy and pasted only the settings for the fans and A/C and sure as hell the one fan enabled and disabled when the a/c was turned on and off...

I think in big part was because of this stupid setting all along...

settings before.jpg

I had told the PCM NOT to turn on the fan for the a/c at all... LOL Man, did I feel like an idiot.

FYI, for anyone whom may be running into other issues, I highly recommend copy an pasting the settings from the Fans & A/C from the camaro bin and not changing any other settings other than temps, I tried messing around with the delay's and pressure enable/disable and the fans didn't enable on time or cycled on and off. So yeah. That's my story.

Advanced Tuner
    Glad you got it working! Dang it, I didnt know you had the PCM 2 with that OS, it's a unified OS that works on almost everything that uses a 512kb P01 PCM. F-body, Truck, Express/SBC and so on. If anyone has the option to use it, I'd highly recommend it especially when dealing with these type of issues. The only downside is that you cannot change the VIN to match your vehicle as it breaks HPT's licensing (at least from what I've tried, but it may have changed now).
    ~Erik~