Thread: Basic 6l90 tuning

Potential Tuner

Basic 6l90 tuning

Trying to find the maximum i can get out of a 6l90 here. I have it in the truck in my signature. I feel like i am not accessing a lot of low end torque. It is dead down low, especially from a stop, and i think it is more trans tune related than engine components/tune. What can I safely do to access the maximum capability from this trans. The motor is basically stock. 216/220 .600/.600 112 lsa. Stock convertor. 3.73 rear end (I realize a 4.10 would go a long ways in this conversation). I do have some torque management reduction, shift time reductions, and shift pressure bumps. No specifics accessible at the moment, but i believe its fairly conservative.
    Cammed 6.0 2011 2500 hd

Tuner
    The biggest improvement with my truck was 1 thru 4 tcc apply speed i set mine to 318 then raised 5th and 6th apply speed, it took care of alot of the bottom end lag,But i also have no TM, 52 grand on the clock and still going, it's all in how you drive.

Your tune could be helpful, helps to see what you have adjusted and then someone could give pointers.

But really heavy truck with stock stall will surely limit you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Agreed, I try getting my customers into a converter and gear swap before any other modifications.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Potential Tuner
    Ill see if i can get my tuner on here to post. But i guess convertor and gears are in order too. Can anyone else substantiate the torque management delete? This is the firdt positive thing ive ever heard about going that route.
    Cammed 6.0 2011 2500 hd

You can limit/remove some TM but it's not normally a good idea to remove all TM on a 6L80e/6L90e.

Most if not all the tuning you need to do is through adjusting shift times, shift pressures, pressure preset and torque factor adjustments. Heavy ass trucks can do more harm to a transmission than a 3,500lb car.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I know its easy to toast one of these in a truck this big, which is why im curious as to the parameters i need to stay within on the tune. I understand what needs to be adjusted, but i would love some quantifiable parameters on TM reduction, shift times, shift pressures, pressure preset, and torque factor adjustments. Just a ballpark would be great. Im honestly pretty happy with ny shift times and pressures, but the rest would be great to have some hard numbers to go by. Also with that cam what stall speed should i be looking fir and whose convertors play nice with this trans.
    Cammed 6.0 2011 2500 hd