Thread: Advice please!! Idle surge and tune

Tuner

Advice please!! Idle surge and tune

Could a few of you tell me how to make this idle better with my cam? (226/ 236 112) And explain how? And if this tune needs any changes in your opinion...and where? PLease. I'm really trying to learn how this HP tuner works and would like some help. I'm reading as much as I can and have played with the idle...but seem to make it worse. I must be missing a lot!! The more I read, the more I get confused!! Did everyone who started get pretty confused or was it pretty natural to get into? There sure is a lot of things you can change on these tunes!! Tell me what you think??

I bought the tuner in the hopes of getting my son into it, but he seems to have lost interest (16 and discovered girls)! Now that I have all the pieces, tuner, DVD's, and online schooling, I've been playing with it and would like to learn! I've built cars from the ground up but never new what the computer tuning was about until I opened the editor and did a few logs ...WHOA!! Now I'm a little lost but I'm really wanting to figure it out!! The scanner and editor look like cool tools once I can get some of it figured out...with help!! PLEASE!!! I have the Calibrated Success video but seems like it's a little different AND in depth for me right now. And I'm still reading the ERM stuff!! Does anyone have a good way of learning this??

Here is the latest log and the tune is from someone else!! I do trust his tune but would like to know if I can improve anything?? Someone had said that the MAF needs to be done better but I'm not sure how. The surge isn't too bad when I push in the clutch and it probably just goes with having the cam??

And my questions are probably pretty vague but since I'm new...maybe someone can let me know. I've had previous questions on here with very few responses so, it would be nice if people just give me straight up advice...or let me know that I'm on my own..and just kick rocks, move on. Haha. Or maybe there is a few that are willing to explain...and guide!! Latter would be great!!

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by XxScottxXN; 07-18-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added

Tuner in Training
    I'm no expert by any means but what helped me the most with my 212/218 114 lsa cam was under the Idle RPM tab was to push out the proportional enable rpm error to 100 and under the Spark tab move the idle adaptive spark overspeed/underspeed tables over one space right so that spark correction comes in above 16. 0 & 16 are zero's then all other numbers are stock. its a very conservative approach but it helped.

You may also disengage spark smoothing and see what that does for you since it is a manual.

You will probably have to work on your VVE & MAF tables with the cam to smooth up the idle also. There are a ton of write ups on here, do a lot of reading and play around with it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2010 View Post
    I'm no expert by any means but what helped me the most with my 212/218 114 lsa cam was under the Idle RPM tab was to push out the proportional enable rpm error to 100 and under the Spark tab move the idle adaptive spark overspeed/underspeed tables over one space right so that spark correction comes in above 16. 0 & 16 are zero's then all other numbers are stock. its a very conservative approach but it helped.

You may also disengage spark smoothing and see what that does for you since it is a manual.

You will probably have to work on your VVE & MAF tables with the cam to smooth up the idle also. There are a ton of write ups on here, do a lot of reading and play around with it.

Ok. I have played with the over and underspeed and I seemed to have made it worse. I wasn't sure exactly how to make the right change. I'm not sure if I would do any damage to my car by some of these adjustments??

Tuner in Training
    The proportional change will delay the air flow corrections until it hits a 100 rpm swing. Its a slower reacting correction whereby the spark correction is a much quicker. My understanding is the spark smoothing is also working at the same time so it could be affecting the over/under corrections as well.

Have you tried cutting the over under corrections in half to see how it affects the idle?

Tuner
    Thank you JR2010
    I zeroed the over under tables to 16 on all 6 of the tables but left the spark smoothing enabled and changed proportional enable rpm error to 100 and that worked...so far it seems to idle better. I'll test it better this weekend.
    First I tried what your last reply said and it made the idle really bad when I cut the over/under tables in half. I think that's the same approach I did before from reading the same thing somewhere else. Should changing the over /under tables in half like that be the correct way to do my idle? Now I guess I need to figure out my VVE and MAF tables right? Small changes?? So I don't mess something up??

Senior Tuner
    make sure fueling is good first, log adaptive idle spark, and as many idle airflow pids that u have it will all help telling what u need to correct it, if u look in my last thread https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...w-when-rolling there is some good info in there and a set up for your scanner to help get the info u want by gmtech16450yz also with a cam u may want to try some more timing like 15-18 or so see if that helps, also u can disable the idle spark correction and then see what the idle does that will show u how close the airflow corrections are if it goes crazy then they need work also, dial in the air so the spark dosnt have to do all the work will make for a better more controllable idle

Per our tutorial, proportional idle is the instantaneous error correction and Integral is an "averaging" error correction. Issues with Proportional normally show as erratic idle and Integral shows as a rolling error that comes and goes. They can be modified by increasing the RPM enable or modifying the airflow values per idle pm error values. The over/underspeed spark correction is fast acting and needs to be reduced on large overlap cams to preclude "constraining" the natural lope of the cam similar to the airflow parameters.

When you have the idle where you think it is done, disable the adaptive spark correction...you may be surprised. The spark control can be a crutch and "hide" issues with adaptive idle airflow control. Go back and work the Proportional and Integral until it is the best it can be...then re-enable the over/under spark for added control.

And yes, you cannot tune your idle until both the MAF and VE airflow models have been tuned especially down in the idle area's.....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Agree completely with mowton, I had to adjust my vve and maf once it had the idle where I wanted it. And yes it will surprise you when you disable the adaptive spark. I found my vve table was part of the issue once I dialed that in and then the maf my idle smoothed up nicely. Still not perfect but with my cam it has a subtle lope at idle.

Tuner
    I also noticed that the tuner changed knock sensor level!! Should this be changed??

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by XxScottxXN View Post
    I also noticed that the tuner changed knock sensor level!! Should this be changed??
    How does it compare to the stock settings? Sometimes its done to desensitize them so they don't retard timing as quickly.

You can put them all back to stock and scan to see where the knock retard if any occurs.

Tuner
    It's double from stock setting. I'm not at my computer but I think stock is at 120 and its set at 240. ??

Knock sensor sensitivity, minimum, decay rate..? Which table exactly?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Not a fan of what your tuner did to the knock sensor settings. Be safe and just put them back to stock for now.

Your airflow doesn't look that far off, it just looks like you need to get the fuel mixture and timing closer at idle and coastdown. Start with getting your idle timing tables the same as the main spark table, at least in the idle areas. Quick and dirty is basically copying your high octane table to your idle and coastdown tables. Your adaptive spark tables are actually more aggressive than the stock table I compared to.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, PUT THE TABLES BACK TO STOCK.

Sorry to yell! This is important advice for a beginner though. Don't assume your tuner did the right things. If you don't have the original file for your car, download a STOCK tune file for a '14 Camaro with the same engine/trans as yours. Use the compare tool and like I said, if all else fails try the stock settings for any particular table first. You can always go back to what your tuner did if you need to. If going back to stock on a particular table made it better but went too far, compare to the tuners table values and multiply the difference by .5 or so. That will get you a happy medium between stock and what your tuner did. (If that's the right direction obviously.) If it made it better but not enough, multiply your change by 1.5 or 2 and see how that does.

Try Mowton's advice and shut off all adaptive spark. (He's a smart guy!) It is a VERY good way to see if your airflow is in the ballpark or not. Lots of people have problems with their idle dropping too far, then recovering too high when coming to a stop. Disabling all adaptive spark will often show you that it's the coastdown spark being too aggressive that causes that problem. Intuitively, most tuners would think adding airflow would help, but it actually makes it worse. Disabling adaptive spark and seeing your car coastdown at 1500rpm will easily show you that there's too much air on coastdown. Another way to get a better coastdown or clutch in stop is to taper your desired rpm by mph. For instance, if you want it to idle at 800rpm, set the idle speed min table to 800 at 0mph, 850 at 4.7mph, 900 at 9.3mph and maybe 950 or 1000 over the rest of the mph columns. That way the adaptive spark won't be pulling a bunch of ignition timing trying to get your idle speed down when you're coming to a stop.

Too much to swallow so fast? lol. Take your time, ask lots of questions and always keep backup tunes so you can revert back to a "known good" file if you screw something up. The compare tool is one of the most important and most used tools imo. (Sounds like you already have that handled by your stating that the knock sensor settings were doubled. They were.) The idle stuff is pretty safe, you can mess with most all of it without worrying about blowing up your car. I'd start with giving it more ignition timing, then work on your fuel mixtures. Again, quick and dirty is if your idle LTFT's are running at -10%, go to the corresponding cells in the MAF calibration "Airflow vs. Frequency" table and multiply those values by .9, which would lean mixtures at that airflow by 10%, which should bring your LTFT's back to 0. Or play it safe and only try to go half way at a time in your corrections by multiplying by .95 (5% less fuel.) Make sense?

edit...

Just wanted to add something that's important for EVERYONE to remember when idle tuning. Ignition timing is OUR friend. It's NOT the factory's or the EPA's friend. Increasing ignition timing (to a certain extent of course) makes your engine run smoother, cooler and more efficiently. The problem for the manufacturers is increased ignition timing causes increased HC's. So they try to retard ignition timing, especially on decel, and also try to keep the throttle plate open as far as possible to again reduce emissions. This is the opposite of what the engine runs best at. So keep that in mind. When all else fails, throw more timing at it! lol. Ok maybe not, but I'm a BIG fan of lots of ignition timing.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 07-21-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Knock sensor sensitivity, minimum, decay rate..? Which table exactly?
    Knock sensor level (initial level)
    I changed it back to stock values

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Not a fan of what your tuner did to the knock sensor settings. Be safe and just put them back to stock for now.

Your airflow doesn't look that far off, it just looks like you need to get the fuel mixture and timing closer at idle and coastdown. Start with getting your idle timing tables the same as the main spark table, at least in the idle areas. Quick and dirty is basically copying your high octane table to your idle and coastdown tables. Your adaptive spark tables are actually more aggressive than the stock table I compared to.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, PUT THE TABLES BACK TO STOCK.

Sorry to yell! This is important advice for a beginner though. Don't assume your tuner did the right things. If you don't have the original file for your car, download a STOCK tune file for a '14 Camaro with the same engine/trans as yours. Use the compare tool and like I said, if all else fails try the stock settings for any particular table first. You can always go back to what your tuner did if you need to. If going back to stock on a particular table made it better but went too far, compare to the tuners table values and multiply the difference by .5 or so. That will get you a happy medium between stock and what your tuner did. (If that's the right direction obviously.) If it made it better but not enough, multiply your change by 1.5 or 2 and see how that does.

Try Mowton's advice and shut off all adaptive spark. (He's a smart guy!) It is a VERY good way to see if your airflow is in the ballpark or not. Lots of people have problems with their idle dropping too far, then recovering too high when coming to a stop. Disabling all adaptive spark will often show you that it's the coastdown spark being too aggressive that causes that problem. Intuitively, most tuners would think adding airflow would help, but it actually makes it worse. Disabling adaptive spark and seeing your car coastdown at 1500rpm will easily show you that there's too much air on coastdown. Another way to get a better coastdown or clutch in stop is to taper your desired rpm by mph. For instance, if you want it to idle at 800rpm, set the idle speed min table to 800 at 0mph, 850 at 4.7mph, 900 at 9.3mph and maybe 950 or 1000 over the rest of the mph columns. That way the adaptive spark won't be pulling a bunch of ignition timing trying to get your idle speed down when you're coming to a stop.

Too much to swallow so fast? lol. Take your time, ask lots of questions and always keep backup tunes so you can revert back to a "known good" file if you screw something up. The compare tool is one of the most important and most used tools imo. (Sounds like you already have that handled by your stating that the knock sensor settings were doubled. They were.) The idle stuff is pretty safe, you can mess with most all of it without worrying about blowing up your car. I'd start with giving it more ignition timing, then work on your fuel mixtures. Again, quick and dirty is if your idle LTFT's are running at -10%, go to the corresponding cells in the MAF calibration "Airflow vs. Frequency" table and multiply those values by .9, which would lean mixtures at that airflow by 10%, which should bring your LTFT's back to 0. Or play it safe and only try to go half way at a time in your corrections by multiplying by .95 (5% less fuel.) Make sense?

edit...

Just wanted to add something that's important for EVERYONE to remember when idle tuning. Ignition timing is OUR friend. It's NOT the factory's or the EPA's friend. Increasing ignition timing (to a certain extent of course) makes your engine run smoother, cooler and more efficiently. The problem for the manufacturers is increased ignition timing causes increased HC's. So they try to retard ignition timing, especially on decel, and also try to keep the throttle plate open as far as possible to again reduce emissions. This is the opposite of what the engine runs best at. So keep that in mind. When all else fails, throw more timing at it! lol. Ok maybe not, but I'm a BIG fan of lots of ignition timing.
    ok!! I changed the knock sensor back! Changed the timing tables! I tried the idle speed, rpm vs mph and it seemed to still surge so, I changed it back. Did a few MAF changes! New log and tune!!!Does this seem better to you! Seems smoother on take off and gear changes! It still surges at times and I don't think I'm making ground! I'm still trying to figure out how to read the graphs and charts?? Here is the latest!!
    And thank you for the help so far....EVERYONE!!
    Attached Files Attached Files