Thread: 4L80e problems

Potential Tuner

4L80e problems

I purchased an 0411 computer with a base tune and when I got it installed the trans would not work properly. I ended up buying hp tuners and quickly realized that the tuner had the wrong trans selected in the tune. I have changed the trans in the tune and changed the gear ratios and the trans will shift now but it doesn't seem exactly right. Could someone please look at the tune file and see if there is other changes that need to be made. I know that there is a lot of tuning that needs to be done, just want to make sure the basics are there for the trans to function properly. The trans is a 4l80e and the tuner selected 4l60e.

My truck is a 2000 Chevy k2500 with a 383 stroker, tuned port injection, 0411 upgrade, long tube headers, dart heads, comp cams 262/264 duration .450/.480 lift roller cam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you do an entire trans segment swap? Or, simply change the "tab" 4L60e to 4L80e,...and change the ratios in the gear ratio table?
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Potential Tuner
    I just changed the tab and gear ratios.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I purchased an 0411 computer with a base tune and when I got it installed the trans would not work properly. I ended up buying hp tuners and quickly realized that the tuner had the wrong trans selected in the tune. I have changed the trans in the tune and changed the gear ratios and the trans will shift now but it doesn't seem exactly right. Could someone please look at the tune file and see if there is other changes that need to be made. I know that there is a lot of tuning that needs to be done, just want to make sure the basics are there for the trans to function properly. The trans is a 4l80e and the tuner selected 4l60e.

My truck is a 2000 Chevy k2500 with a 383 stroker, tuned port injection, 0411 upgrade, long tube headers, dart heads, comp cams 262/264 duration .450/.480 lift roller cam
    I have searched the repository for a tune file but can not find one for my OS.

I'm new to tuning as well bud,.....the guys on here have taught me a lot over the past few months. I'm definitely not a tuner,...but, I do know, that tab dohickey does 5/8th's of **ck all .
    I'm fairly certain you have do a full segment swap (for both the trans and trans diagnostic segments) to replace the existing 4L60e (in the tune) to a 4L80e, to properly operate your trans. One of our more experienced guys will chime in and confirm for you (especially if I'm wrong here,.....which wouldn't be my first time,....but, I do try to help people because the guys on here have helped me a lot).
    What operating system are you running and who'd you get the 0411 from? I think I'm running the *****156 operating system on my 0411 (I'll have to check) but, I'm fairly certain there were some ****156 OS/4L80e's in the repository.
    You running a stroked 350 Vortec? Or the HT383e?
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

I think I saw a tutorial on "how to segment swap" on here somewhere,...

Jonesy, I checked, and yes I'm running the 12212156 OS.

If your running same, there are a few 4L80e tunes in the repository you can use to segment swap (best if you do both trans and trans diagnostics). I used tunes from a 2001/02 Chevy Express (or GMC) van,....they had the 5.7L Vortec's w/both 60 and 80e's,....thus, since your running the 383, it'll be the same engine segments as the 5.7L Vortec (meaning, you won't have to change any of the other segments,.....only have to swap the two trans sections).

Sucks that your tuner put the wrong trans in your PCM,......sounds like your having my kind of luck. Hope this helps man.

Potential Tuner
    Huctchinson. I appreciate all the feedback. My motor is just a 350 that I stroked. I got my computer and tune from pcmpowertunes. If I wanted to send it back he would probably fix it, but I don't really want to mess with it. I am starting to think that maybe the OS is possibly a custom IS from a different tuning software. Not really for sure. Can you look at the tune file that I posted and tell?

Potential Tuner
    That should say OS not IS

Advanced Tuner
    You have a custom speed density enhanced RTT OS from HP Tuners. If you go to Edit>Calibration Details>Controllers you will see all the information about your custom OS. Four lines down next to "operating system:" you will see 12208322 -> 1271012. This means you started with factory OS number 12208322 which was later converted to HP Tuners OS number 1271012.

You can not convert back to a non custom OS, you can only do a full overwrite. If you need the original file you need to contact your tuner and have them email it to you.

I have never tried to segment swap a custom OS.
    I build stuff...

Yeah man,.... I've never worked with a custom OS. Might be simpler if you send it back to pcmpowertunes and have them slap the 4L80e on it for you. A few days turnaround and at least you'll know it's right (hopefully). I don't know if HPTuners Support can help,....wouldn't hurt to ask?

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys for all the help. I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place and contacted Jim at pcmpowertunes. He is always very helpful, he updated my tune and emailed it to me.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks bro i think i did it in three minutes