Thread: 2016 Coyote /w 2.8 LC Kenne Bell kit

Tuner in Training

2016 Coyote /w 2.8 LC Kenne Bell kit

Looking for base tune close to my build to compare. I initially searched tune repo and the Roush 727 seemed the closest. I added my injector characteristics and scaled the MAF vs Period to match KB inlet tube. Car starts, rough idle and logging really lean (up to 2λ) and STFT spike 20-40%. With those results I'm also looking for a suggestions on good email tuners (local to southeast PA would also a plus)? My preferred tuner Lund doesn't use HPT.

Car: Superlite GT-R
    Engine: 2016 FRPP Coyote create for SC (low compression)
    PCM: 2015-17 FRPP control pack
    SC Kit: 2.8L (LC) Kenne Bell kit /w 13psi pulley.
    Injectors: ID1000

Misc
    KB SC rear inlet manifold was modified for mid-engine. Looks similar to KB's bigun manifold, but fits 2.8 SC.
    BBK Shorty headers
    No cats, 3" exhaust
    Fuel regulator at 55psi boost ref
    Attached Files Attached Files

In Pennsylvania: Lund Racing. Before I was tuning my own cars, I had used Jon Lund (Sr. and Jr.) and had positive experiences with both. Lund Racing: (484) 442-0495
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Tuner in Training
    Spoke to Lund rep this past weekend, super nice and knowledgeable. But is currently a non-starter as they lock their tunes and don't use HPT. If I can't find a good solution via this forum, I might bite the bullet and buy their nGuage on top the HPT/MPVI Pro kit I just bought. But for now hoping to cobble together a base tune from feedback here.
    Last edited by fromoss; 07-03-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Their nGauge will not work with your HP Tuners software. I've had customers that have had them before and they cannot even be used to flash my tunes. It would allow Lund to tune the car for you though.

Tuner in Training
    Going to try licensing a new base strategy. Clarifying my OP, I only copied over all the Roush values onto the stock FRPP tune. It seems most start with the full Roush or Whipple instead and then tweak.

In the tune repo the Roush 727 is the latest, have others used this successfully as a base?
    I didn't see a Whipple when searching the repo, but this thread mentioned a sticky. Is there a sticky outside the repo tuners are posting strategies to?

Before licensing, looking for feedback from anyone who's used either tune as a base.

Senior Tuner
    You didn't get everything copied over was probably some of your problem. The compare feature doesn't work correctly with the Roush and Whipple tunes. I haven't used the Roush strategy but have tuned 2015+ with blowers.

What throttle body are you using? These cars are really sensitive to electronic throttle settings not being correct.

It's going to cost you 4 more credits to start with the actual Roush tune so be aware of that. You will have to license it and then flash it to your ECU, then read it back out and license the file read for further changes.

Senior Tuner
    Something else to add... I'm sure you realize this but your setup is closer to a Whipple than Roush. Haven't compared the two tunes a lot but if both are pretty well dialed in for their blower setups you would be better off starting with the Whipple tune.

Tuner in Training
    @ridenrunwv Thanks for info and agreed I will start with Whipple, unless others chime in with cons against Whipple from experience. Using the 168mm ellipse TB from KB with the stock drive motor and APPS, know of any tables for that volume or would you suggest just scaling up the Whipple (guessing 132mm is in that tune)?
    Last edited by fromoss; 07-05-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: TB size correction

Advanced Tuner
    What throttle body is on it? Is it the whipple 168mm?

EDIT: just saw your post, if you are using the KB throttle body than you seem to have the wrong TB table data, I am working on this right now and it drives and idles with out issue. 2.8KB with 168mm TB.

IMG_0237.jpg
    Last edited by Jn2; 07-05-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    its 168 KB, I tuned this before and run great, happy to hook u with TB tables

Tuner in Training
    @Jn2 set me up with TB tables for the KB 168mm. Do these match up with what you've used?

TB data.png

On the MAF vs Period, I was going to scale up the stock FRPP table to the 4.5" diameter KB inlet tube. But those scaled numbers are still smaller than the Whipple tune. Any feedback on which to bias towards as a starting point?

MAF vs Period.png

Afterwards will log and adjust for STFT+LTFT as documented on other MAF tuning threads.

Tuner in Training
    After replacing the stock tune with the Whipple based one, I'm in a no start condition. Where the fuel pump isn't getting any voltage on start. If I flash back a previous tune, the engine starts.

The FRPP control pack doesn't require the PCM's to initialize the starter, it only requires ign. on signal to wake up. However I tried re-wiring to let the PCM handle starter request, but afterward the starter didn't initialize either. I confirmed PATS switch was disabled and clutch bottom switch was closed. The PCM does wake on ign. as the scanner connects and aux items run.

Any ideas on what would cause no volts to fuel relay out related to a tune? Would the Whipple tune not be compatible with the FRPP PCM?

Latest tune attached.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fromoss View Post
    After replacing the stock tune with the Whipple based one, I'm in a no start condition. Where the fuel pump isn't getting any voltage on start. If I flash back a previous tune, the engine starts.

The FRPP control pack doesn't require the PCM's to initialize the starter, it only requires ign. on signal to wake up. However I tried re-wiring to let the PCM handle starter request, but afterward the starter didn't initialize either. I confirmed PATS switch was disabled and clutch bottom switch was closed. The PCM does wake on ign. as the scanner connects and aux items run.

Any ideas on what would cause no volts to fuel relay out related to a tune? Would the Whipple tune not be compatible with the FRPP PCM?

Latest tune attached.
    the FRPP Control Pack usually comes with a different strategy than the OEM cars do. While I am not sure if you can change the strategy on them like you would a normal car or not, I would suggest tuning the car while using the FRPP strategy that came with the control pack(OE file). Unless there is a feature in the Whipple strategy you want(like IAT being read from IMRC pigtails) then you really shouldn't need to run their strategy to get the car going.

Quote Originally Posted by HPF View Post
    its 168 KB, I tuned this before and run great, happy to hook u with TB tables
    can you share with me the tables. I am working on 2011