Thread: Cough and misfire and boost spikes

Advanced Tuner

Cough and misfire and boost spikes

I've got a Kenne Bell boosted Camaro. And I have been fighting what I thought was boost spikes. When I'd do hard shifts, it would sometimes cough and then pull a ton of timing. I could literally hear the engine do something that sounded like a cough (for lack of a better term). On my logs, I would see a very very short but large boost spike that lasted a millisecond.

So I tried something odd. I had kept pulling timing in this area thinking that it was the culprit. I put back in the original timing curve that Kenne Bell had for their canned tune which was about 3-5 degrees higher in this area of my spark chart depending on the area. Took it out and beat the snot out of it. And I'll be damned...it fixed the problem. I couldn't believe it.

Any of the tuning experts know what this anomaly is? Was the fuel transient shot combined with too low of timing causing a misfire that belched back up into the manifold and registered the boost spike or something? Does the higher timing help the flame to get going and not cause the misfire?
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Tuning Addict
    There's been post about this in the past, but basically the misfire causes a couple of things - engine pause due to the non firing cylinder so I guess boost has a split second to "back up" and there's no heat going out during the exhaust stroke resulting in a lack of scavenging to help pull that air mix in during the next intake stroke. You'll always pretty much see these little quick boost spikes with misfires... You might even want to try adding another degree or two if it took 5 to clear It out...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I've had "backfires" on engines with severely retarded timing under load or heavy transition (like when your messing with the distributor) it could be the same thing here just more sensitive.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    ive had a mis and due to the cam it reverbed back into the intake causing a spike in boost as well as increased IAT at the same event, it also coated my injector tips with unburnt crap fuel on the problem cylinders and they needed a clean, was found to be lean as i entered boost from failing pump

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    There's been post about this in the past, but basically the misfire causes a couple of things - engine pause due to the non firing cylinder so I guess boost has a split second to "back up" and there's no heat going out during the exhaust stroke resulting in a lack of scavenging to help pull that air mix in during the next intake stroke. You'll always pretty much see these little quick boost spikes with misfires... You might even want to try adding another degree or two if it took 5 to clear It out...
    It's running about 17 degrees of timing on the big end now. So I'm a bit hesitant to add even more back. But I'm going to monitor my KR for a bit. So far, not getting much. So maybe I can add another degree in.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners