Thread: First time user needs help with MAF change calibration

Tuner in Training

First time user needs help with MAF change calibration

Just downloaded tuning software and match it up with my LS2 swap. I need help getting it to run with the new MAF. I went from the "round" to the "card" style and now it barely runs. I knew going in that this was going to be a problem and one of the reasons I bought the HP Tuner. There is a lot of information on how to go through the tuning process but most of what I read says that after I make changes, I need to drive the veh. How can I do this if I can't get it out of the driveway?! Is there a way to get right to the MAF calibration so that the veh is driveable? I can fine tune it later.
    One other thing that I suspect is also causing some problems is the AIT readings. If I scan the cold engine, I'm getting a high AIT vs the coolant temp. Like 90 vs 70. This is before I ever start the engine. Once I do get it running, the LT and ST trims are off the wall but come back after 20 minutes or so. It's actually driveable at that point but once I shut it off, all the bad reading return. I understand that the PCM is adjusting the fuel trim and that it's going to go back to the original settings once it's shut off.
    Thanks
    George

Tuner
    Can you post your tune please mate.

Advanced Tuner
    If you're sure the new maf is wired up properly, what I would do is go to the repository and download a tune from a vehicle that has this style maf stock (ls3 or ls7 vette for instance) and start with the maf values from one of those tunes. Chances are it will be in the ballpark. A log would be helpful so that we can see if the maf is actually functioning however.

Tuner in Training
    How do I run and post my current tune? I like "sevinn's" idea of looking for an ls7 maf values.

Funny I came looking for help with the exact same issue.6.0mass.hpt
    I'm not trying to hijack your thread but we are having the same issue and I'm just starting tuning. Lets see if some one can help us.

I can actually drive my car but it lacks power and I cant give it much gas. I did copy a 2010 ls3 maf table and it got it driving but no power. I can rev it standing still but no load capability's. I just built my ls2 with a ls9 cam tho but it was running on the old maf.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gpbelton View Post
    How do I run and post my current tune? I like "sevinn's" idea of looking for an ls7 maf values.
    If you want to attach your current tune and a log or two, click "go advanced" on the editor for your forum reply, then find "Manage Attachments" and finally click "add files" then "select files" to browse to them on your PC.

In order to get a factory calibration with a card style maf, you can look for a stock tune from an 08-13 vette in the repository. Be careful that your maf hz headings are the same before you get to copying and pasting however.

Tuner in Training

Where do I find the "repository

Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    If you want to attach your current tune and a log or two, click "go advanced" on the editor for your forum reply, then find "Manage Attachments" and finally click "add files" then "select files" to browse to them on your PC.

In order to get a factory calibration with a card style maf, you can look for a stock tune from an 08-13 vette in the repository. Be careful that your maf hz headings are the same before you get to copying and pasting however.

Tuner in Training
    I know I'm sounding like an idiot asking such simple questions but this is all new to me. If you could tell me where to find the repository, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I know I'm sounding like an idiot asking such simple questions but this is all new to me. If you could tell me where to find the repository, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks
    It's no problem. Check the link I posted above. You'll need to register on the customer page before you have access but my link should take you where you need to go.

Tuner in Training
    Got it! Thanks. I think I need to log some runs so that I have some data to compare to.

Advanced Tuner
    If you swapped to a card MAF and you are using the IAT built into it as well, be aware that (a) some "adaptor harnesses" seem to be wired wrong (or, I suppose, there are more MAF variants..) anyway, it needs checking, the pinning was wrong on IAT part on mine, and (b) you will need a different temperature curve because its not the same as an older round MAF.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    If you swapped to a card MAF and you are using the IAT built into it as well, be aware that (a) some "adaptor harnesses" seem to be wired wrong (or, I suppose, there are more MAF variants..) anyway, it needs checking, the pinning was wrong on IAT part on mine, and (b) you will need a different temperature curve because its not the same as an older round MAF.
    Yeah this is why I mentioned to make sure the wiring was correct. I know when you swap to a card style maf on some cars you have to swap some pins around even if the plug is the same.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the warning about the MAF pins. I figured that out after frying the first one!
    Edit......I now have it running so that I can drive it! I thought I saved the logs but apparently I didn't. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on how to save them? I start the scan, drive around and "saved the Channel". Obviously that's wrong. I didn't "stop" the scan. Maybe that's my problem.
    Last edited by gpbelton; 07-01-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Figured it out. The hz tables don't match so copy and paste won't work. Mine start at "0" and the vet's start at 1000. I did a rough match and it's at least drive-able now. Also did a calibration on the AIT sensor.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gpbelton; 07-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Figured it out. The hz tables don't match so copy and paste won't work. Mine start at "0" and the vet's start at 1000. I did a rough match and it's at least drive-able now. Also did a calibration on the AIT sensor.
    Great job getting it running. I don't have hpt on this computer so I can't look at your logs but I bet it felt good to drive it away!