Thread: V3.6 with unknown noise source

Potential Tuner

V3.6 with unknown noise source

Being a bit of a HPT newbie, thanks in advance for the help.

Using V3.6.16 downloaded earlier this week. New Ballenger AFR 500V2 standard connected to a 2011 EIO. The tune is essentially a 1bar MAP, Lingenfelter MAF, LS6 supercharged. All is retrofitted into a 1968 Camaro. The ECM has worked flawlessly since 2008, retuned for TVS1900 in 2010.

The problem is what appears to be noise in in #4 I/O. See screenshot below, lavender line for MAP.

[/URL]

The early time index with the smooth line is engine off. When the "noise" starts is engine start. However, the green I/O plug is disconnected at all times.

First thought, grounds. Commonizing the serial port, interface, etc. to a single battery negative yielded no change.

Oscilloscope readings on the IGN power to the OBDII connector also showed no significant differences than the battery.

A new cable from the interface to the laptop: no change.

When attaching a pressure sensor to #4, the "noise" gets worse (amplifies.) It will also occur at KOEO with no other inputs on I/O #1-3 but the ground still connected from #5 to OBDII to BAT-.

With the green connector disconnected, grounding I/O #4 just pulls down the noise, it does not cancel it.

I/O #2-3 are fuel pressure sensors. These too tend to be noisy when the car is running. Disconnecting them completely from the interface and grounds changed nothing on I/0 #4.

It does not appear that the polling rate for the I/O's can be changed, so possible smoothing by going to a lower frequency seems to be out. The "noise" should still not be occurring.

I'm open to trying anything.

Thanks for the help.

The inputs are not reliable when they are not connected.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner
    Keith,

Thank you for the feedback. However, as stated above, when the inputs are connected the noise is amplified. It gets worse.

"When attaching a pressure sensor to #4, the "noise" gets worse (amplifies.) It will also occur at KOEO with no other inputs on I/O #1-3 but the ground still connected from #5 to OBDII to BAT-."

The MPVI input could be failing then.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    The MPVI input could be failing then.
    If that's the case what is the best course to have it checked and how best to reference the problem?

You'll have to open up a support ticket.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Typically we troubleshoot analog input issues using the AA battery method as explained here https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...o-troubleshoot
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"