Thread: Thoughts on 2018 Mustang GT

Thoughts on 2018 Mustang GT

I am ready to drop the hammer on purchasing a 2018 Mustang GT. I like the idea of direct and port fuel injection and the 10 speed automatic as well. But with the chatter about the 'locked' ECU and the added complexities of the 10 speed, I need some additional input from others as to their reactions/positions on these features/obstacles. I assume that Eric et al, will be on top of this, but until I am satisfied that I can modify the ECU, I am in a holding pattern.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    I am ready to drop the hammer on purchasing a 2018 Mustang GT. I like the idea of direct and port fuel injection and the 10 speed automatic as well. But with the chatter about the 'locked' ECU and the added complexities of the 10 speed, I need some additional input from others as to their reactions/positions on these features/obstacles. I assume that Eric et al, will be on top of this, but until I am satisfied that I can modify the ECU, I am in a holding pattern.
    I've already looked at it enough to know that it is not locked :-)
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thanks Eric. You are now the one responsible for me going into a big money hole again.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

They will be speed density. Funny that cars for years were SD, then added the MAF, and now going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev1360 View Post
    They will be speed density. Funny that cars for years were SD, then added the MAF, and now going back.
    The Mustang GT will still have a MAF.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    speed density only on all ford ecoboost engines

I am ordering the 5.0. It will have two turbos on it after I take delivery.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

I'm hoping for the GT350 heads from the factory, but not going to hold my breath.

Tuner
    On a GT? You realize that these are now DI which means an entirely new combustion chamber.. so no, it will not have 350 heads

@15PSI when I saw this was going to have DI and PI I immediately thought of the Bobcat experiment and the possibilities of the engine and FI

Senior Tuner
    Back in 2010 I read an article about how I would regret buying a mustang with a coyote in a few years, because looking at the cylinder head there was a spot that looked like it could have had direct injection and the prediction that the mustang was going to get DI to compete with what chevy was doing was made.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...1-mustang-5-0/

I dont think the GT350 heads have this feature

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Back in 2010 I read an article about how I would regret buying a mustang with a coyote in a few years, because looking at the cylinder head there was a spot that looked like it could have had direct injection and the prediction that the mustang was going to get DI to compete with what chevy was doing was made.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...1-mustang-5-0/

I dont think the GT350 heads have this feature

I remember this article.

I looked closely at the Coyote heads, the cast part of the head in the combustion chamber in-between the exhaust valves is where they suspected the direct injector would be installed. They'd probably drill and tap the hole.

Looking at the GT350 heads, the spot between the intake valves is tight, but there's a lot of material between the exhaust valves much like the Coyote:

GT350

Coyote

Ignore the orientation of the photos, if you match up the coolant jackets and the smaller/larger valves, the spot is the same. The Coyote heads look like they are cast that way. The GT350 heads look like they CNC ported it a bit during production. I don't think it would be a problem at all for Ford to simply install direct injection onto the 5.0 w/ GT350 heads. I hear it raises compression to 12.5:1 which is perfect for E85/Flex Fuel. High compression and direct injection works very well with E85.

FRPP's website even describes the GT350 heads as "Coyote GT350 Heads":
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6050-M52

I've heard all kinds of wild stories from Mustang GT350 Fan bois, saying the 5.2L is a totally different engine with totally unique parts. The flat plane crank and block are very different, but I read about the GT350 headswap in Hot Rod Magazine a few months ago, where they said the bulk of the power gains in the GT350 are from the CNC ported heads and not the fancy flat plane crank.

Doing more research, the FRPP site shows what parts are needed to make it work on the Coyote. I also found another website dated 2015 where they already did the headswap with the help of Ford Racing Parts. These are aftermarket swaps. I could see Ford doing this at the factory for probably slightly more money on each GT (CNC porting of the heads, different cams, etc...) Heck, I'd gladly pay $1,000-$5,000 more per GT if it gets the 500+ hp GT350 headswapped 5.0 from the factory. That would at least give the stock GT a fighting chance against a base Camaro SS, Scat Pack Charger, or a tune-only 4300lb family sedan Taurus SHO with 2 baby seats in the back and a set of golf clubs in the trunk.

It's been about 7 years for the 5.0 Coyote and 8 years for the first-gen transverse 3.5L EcoBoost. Maybe Ford will do something very different for the GT in 2021 when they release the next Mustang? I hope they do something sooner for the 2018.

The F-150 w/ the DI and PI 5.0 V8 only gets an extra 10 hp and 13 ft-lb of torque. If that carries over to the GT, that is truly disappointing.

2018 Mustang GT is supported in the latest beta.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    2018 Mustang GT is supported in the latest beta.
    I think someone at support doesn't like me, 3.7 beta was taken away, just emailed support to add it again, I'm still on v3.7.214
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jn2; 09-19-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Jn2 - Support normally deletes my Beta every month or so. They are pretty quick at posting it back to your customer center.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    Jn2 - Support normally deletes my Beta every month or so. They are pretty quick at posting it back to your customer center.
    yeah, they added it back this morning

Tuner in Training
    3.7 beta full bugs, had many problem with it

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HPF View Post
    3.7 beta full bugs, had many problem with it
    like? I've been using it since it was announced to have "write calibration" only and it's been working good

I only use the Beta and have found zero bugs, other than a few mispelled words.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Senior Tuner
    I've found it to be mostly bug free, however I fought with some issues on a ZL1 a few weeks ago and ended up noticing things changed in the tune that I definitely would not have changed. Not sure if something in the editor changed them or not but somewhere into my first revisions it was modified.

Tuner in Training
    I just figured out when i use the 3.7 beta I must read the pcm again to adjust , don't use the old file the pulled out by 3.6 and adjust them.
    not likely you will face thats problem but its just happened with me with 2 car from maybe 7-8 cars - copperheads -
    Last edited by HPF; 09-26-2017 at 10:01 PM.