Thread: ready to tune idle but not sure

Potential Tuner

ready to tune idle but not sure

Hi folks...noob here and I bet thisd has been asked a thousand times.
    I am using this HP Tuners for the first time, watched a couple videos and played with it...think I have it set up for my car with the credits etc...I think.

2006 Z06

I simply want to raise idle. How is this done?

How do I save it and flash it to the computer without messing anything up?

Any video or simple instructions? Most people's videos arent very good and not to the point.

Thanks for any help I can get.
    T

If you spent the 2 credits to license your computer, then the next step to raise the idle is easy.

Open up the stock tune file, go to engine > idle > base idle RPM. Click that table and adjust the idle to where you want it.

Save as under a new name. You can then connect the MPVI to the vehicle and the laptop, turn the ignition on but do not start the vehicle, click flash > write to vehicle. You will only have to do a write calibration and not a write entire when doing any normal change like this.

That's pretty much it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

i would change the startup idle table and the min idle table to be sure that everything matches

Potential Tuner
    Ok, thanks guys. I know this is basic stuff but I just opened the box and connected for first time.
    I'm pretty sure I licensed the computer the kit came with 8 credits.
    I clicked "read vehicle" then went to save the file in downloads. Then it said "not licensed etc" so I choe my VIN number and went forward.

I clicked engine > Idle > then there is a table for idle at certain temperatures, max idle and maybe minimum Im not sure.

Then I just made all 1000 rpm since the tuner had 1000rpm at cooler temps and then lower during op temps down to 850rpm, then up to 900 rpm at higher temp range over 230F. That 100 to 150 rpm makes a difference and less strain on alternator, faster turning fans.

When I save it, what do I click, then what actually gets saved, the whole tune, or just the idle file? So, the new name is to save the same tune but with higher idle (and whatever changes I make)?
    Then I think I understand the flash part, you mean I will flash (write to vehicle) only what I have changed,(calibration only) no need to reinstall (write entire) the whole tune again, right? I didnt even realize I could do this without the thing connected to vehicle till you told me. So, I can change the tune on my computer then go out to the car and flash it.

Reason for changing idle:
    When the idle is at 1000 the alternator is charging much better and the car is happier especially with the high draw fans. I'd like to make everything 1000rpm at all temps, even 1050

I have a light flywheel too.
    I'm just want to be sure I'm getting the part where we actually flash to vehicle and if there are other items I need to address for idle speed or this is all I need to look at. Eventually I'd like to try and cool the engine down a bit at idle (the external parts like headers etc since there are some singed parts, mostly from running way hot but still IMO too hot under the hood.

Someone suggested I log the tune and post it but I am really not sure how to do that yet.

So, finally, simply use the table that deals with idle vs coolant temperature? That's all I seem to be able to find right off the bat.

Potential Tuner
    Hey 5FDP, thanks for the reply on this. I actually used your instructions because thats what I needed then went back again the second time I messed with the fans etc.
    Straightforward and gave me a little confidence. Now, I need to learn how to "Log"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by avido View Post
    i would change the startup idle table and the min idle table to be sure that everything matches
    I did get the idle raised up a bit more although everyone tells me it shouldnt be necessary with an oem cam. I do have a lighter flywheel and clutch though if that matters. It just seems like I have to give the ca more fuel than I should when moving from a stop too.
    The real reason though is to combat an idle charging weakness issue. Just to test it in traffic in the commute and see the results.

You mentioned a startup table: Is there a startup table I should be looking at too?
    Also minimum idle is still pretty low compared to target idle speed. The idle was at 850 and minimum was at 650.
    The tuner had it this way, about 25% lower than target I wasn't sure if I should raise it or what the standard adjustment is in relation to target idle. He may have just missed this though.