Thread: MAF-Only Transient Conditions

Tuner in Training

MAF-Only Transient Conditions

I'm beginning my tuning journey in MAF only with STFT disabled. Idle and low speed are dialed in but as I attempt to push deeper into the MAF ranges I get some pretty aggressive lean out as the STFT is slow to compensate (I've seen timing pulled over 3 degrees and it make me very sad). I understand that this is expected but not sure to what degree. How much RPM and throttle transient should I filter out for reliable MAF tuning data? <2% throttle delta? <5% RPM delta? In addition to the vehicle specifics below note that the Eforce kit appears to have significantly influenced the MAF in spite of using the original unit. Evidently the giant air cleaner and revised intake plenum require a noticeable MAF to Hz adjustment

Regards,
    DaveT
    2011 C6 base 6M
    Edelbrock Eforce SC
    Deka 60# inj.

Advanced Tuner
    You say STFT are disabled, but then say slow to respond. Need to clarify that. you need to log your AFR vs MAF and adjust the maf table accordingly using the error percentage.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for the confusion, LTFT is disabled. Yes, I'm logging MAF vs. AFR error and the question, as noted, is around understanding how aggressive we should be in filtering. I appreciate that this is going to be a dependent variable but I have no clue as to how much delta I should be removing as I look for error values. Case in point, if I look at Hz vs. g/sec error during steady throttle but rising rpm, I get a different error value vs. steady throttle and steady rpm. Clearly the answer is steady everything but this isn't practical for street tuning (my local dyno is booked through July and won't even respond for a schedule request).

Regards,
    DaveT

Advanced Tuner
    For street tuning, and dialing in MAF, I find it better to use LTFT + STFT error. Just kill the fuel modifiers and do your best to avoid rapid throttle changes. Go for long drives, gently progressing through each gear.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....