Thread: Any tips for catless idle smell?

Any tips for catless idle smell?

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 6.1 with heads/cam/exhaust and no cats. Even though the afr is dead on, it really smells at idle. Are there any tricks on the Mopars to clean the odor up like there are on the GM vehicles? If this keeps up, I might end up with some HFC's.

Advanced Tuner
    I have the JBA high flow catted 3 inch mid pipes on my HC. It smells some on start up in the garage even with it open. Then it starts clearing up a bit after the car is warm. They are definitely not as effective as factory cats. I put 3-4 gallons of E85 on fill up. That helps substantially. But it is not a cure all.
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have any leaks or a tailpipe not dumped out past the undercarriage for preventing cabin carbon monoxide permeating in?

Exhaust system is completely sealed. I don't see how this would prevent filling my garage with horrid exhaust stench whenever I'm idling. I have several modified, catless vehicles and this is the only one that the wife complains that the smell creeps into the house since it's so strong. It's really bad.

Advanced Tuner
    Whats the afr when idling? Any oil consumption?

14.2 to 15.5 at idle. No its not burning oil.

Hi John, some of this has to do with injector timing. HPTuners does not show this on VCM editor.

Tuner in Training
    I am having the same issue with this 2013 Durango R/T with Headers, No Cats, and SRT8 Catback. The VE table is pretty close to being spot on and with NN either on or off I get stank at idle. Nothing horrible but it is definitely there and the wife isn't exactly thrilled with it since this is her daily driver.

Advanced Tuner
    Make for certain you have the exhaust exiting properly from under/away from the chassis & you do not have any exhaust leaks that will allow those leaks to seap into the cabin.

If where the fresh air inlet vent pulls outside air is being fed fumes, it will not only smell horrible, but can become lethal.

Advanced Tuner
    If it's a street car, put HF cats on it unless it has some huge overlap cam or leaded fuel. If you can't because of one or both of those things, #because racecar and live with it.

Tuner in Training
    Haha yeah fair enough. I know for sure that there are no exhaust leaks and you can only smell it when outside the Durango. As for the HF cats, that was my intent when I got the headers but when they showed up it ended up being resonators in place of the cats.... look like cats on the outside but they sure are hollow all the way through!