Thread: 2006 GTO LS2 setting P106 at idle

Tuner in Training

2006 GTO LS2 setting P106 at idle

Hello all,

I have an engine (6L, LS3 heads/intake manifold, aftermarket pistons/cam/rods, bored .030 over) being controlled by an E40 2006 GTO controller/cal/pedal/throttle. Currently I have it running off the MAF only (LS3 vette intake/MAF). It runs fine like this for the most part but recently I lowered idle down to 650 rpm from 800. I started to set P106 at idle. When I search, most people say to change the table for expected max/min MAP, but that doesn't seem to exist for me. The only thing showing up in the diagnostic tab for P106 is to enable/disable the high and low portion of the test.

I don't see MAP dropping out ever, or spiking, so I think my wiring and sensor are ok, but it must be in the tune. I think the cal might be comparing MAF airflow to the VE airflow and if they don't match close enough it causes it to set a code? I also had it where I did a pull yesterday, and as soon as I lifted the engine stopped responding to pedal until I keyed off and back on. I then had a P106 set, which I assume disables throttle.

Any help is appreciated. I will try to set idle back to 800 and see if it fixes it, but am curious what others have found.

Thanks.

That table is only in the Gen 3's
    For gen 4 just turn the switches for the checks off.

Advanced Tuner
    If you find the table number you can email support and ask them to add/map it for your OS if available.

There is no need to have anything mapped or added to fix his issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VodeAn View Post
    There is no need to have anything mapped or added to fix his issue.
    That would be your opinion. Not everyone is keen on disabling everything. There has to be a reference table used to make the comparisons.

It is not an opinion that a new table is not needed to fix the issue.
    It may be your opinion that you'd rather not use a switch.

Understand the difference?

"Not everyone is keen on disabling everything." This is not the equivalent to raping the PE table, turn the switch off and be done.

Also there does not have to be a reference table to make the comparisons, the test may use data from a formula in the code.
    Does there have to be specific tables behind each switch? The Post O2 Switch and Catalyst Test switches both make comparisons using O2 sensor voltages, do they have tables? Maybe, maybe not, do we need them even if they exist? Nope.

I will say it is nice to see some thought about not wanting to "hack" everything off with switches, but don't over complicate this. In this situation the switch is your friend.

Advanced Tuner
    Turning it off doesn't "fix" anything. It simply ignores the condition and stops turning on the light. If there was no reason to have the test GM probably wouldn't have it in there. If HpTuners adds the needed table then what's the harm?

Tuner in Training
    I have changed the coolant thresholds for the P101, 106, 121 to now run unless less than -40C. I will have to see how it works for my issue and if it fixes it. Hopefully that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglegoat View Post
    Turning it off doesn't "fix" anything. It simply ignores the condition and stops turning on the light. If there was no reason to have the test GM probably wouldn't have it in there. If HpTuners adds the needed table then what's the harm?
    "Turning it off doesn't "fix" anything. It simply ignores the condition and stops turning on the light." No. That would be turning the DTC's off but not flipping the switches.

Let's suppose a table existed and you did have access to it, being able to raise the values in a table to ignore the "condition" would do the same thing as flipping the switch.
    Are you are saying that you want a table to tune the test so that it still trips if the vehicle develops a vacuum leak? The gen 3 stuff doesn't do a good job of that even with the tables. You can have rotted leaking pcv hoses on an F-body and you'll get a bank 1 & 2 lean code long before a MAP sensor code (if ever). If you pull the booster hose you might get it to trip but you had better not need a code to notice a leak that big.

"If there was no reason to have the test GM probably wouldn't have it in there." What? Are you kidding? We do know exactly why the test was placed there. It is there to check function of the MAP sensor. Big cams trip the test, because the MAP sensor now reports values outside the expected range. You obviously don't want to blindly disable every sensor test in the ECU, but some of factory tests are no longer useful once certain modifications have been done to the vehicle.

Again, the test may not even have tables like it does in the Gen 3 controllers. The expected ranges may be part of a formula in the code and not a table.
    If you are so interested in adding a table that may not even exist, and is useless even if it does exist, you can now add your own definitions to calibrations using the User Defined Parameters feature for $169.99 USD
    Last edited by VodeAn; 06-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LS3RX7 View Post
    I have changed the coolant thresholds for the P101, 106, 121 to now run unless less than -40C. I will have to see how it works for my issue and if it fixes it. Hopefully that does it.
    Sorry you have to read us bickering about this, I just don't want you or anyone else thinking there's anything missing to fix this.

I suppose you could make the min -40 and the max -39
    When necessary to disable those tests, I usually leave the max ECT stock and raise the min to one degree lower than the max, like this...

Attachment 70114
    Last edited by VodeAn; 06-06-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Drove the car this weekend on a road trip with a few friends. Let one of them drive some too. So far the issue hasn't come back after my latest cal change. Hopefully that was the issue. Once I get my VE tuned I will try to turn the codes back on and go from there. Just following up in case someone else has this issue.