Thread: VIN swap for 5.7 vortec conversion

Potential Tuner

VIN swap for 5.7 vortec conversion

I have sort of a rookie question here, for starters the vehicle is a 2000 Chevy Blazer, 4.3, 4l60, 4wd and the guy is swapping to a 96ish 5.7 Vortec motor. I will be doing the tuning and unlocking for him. At this point, I think we are going to get a new pcm for it, that's already for the v8 to save licensing his pcm, and then also licensing a stock v8 tune to save him some money on the credits. So far my experience has been in the later LS motors, and so doing the older SBC style motors on HP Tuners is new to me.

He wants to retain his vehicle's VIN in the pcm, and I know that a VIN swap is generally simple, so long as the OS's match. My question is if there is any specific hardware # of a pcm that we will need in order to have the same operating system as his original so that I can change the VIN over. Were there many different OS's in that style, would the v6 and v8 likely be different OS's and not let a VIN swap happen?

I appreciate any help or input, as I would hate to have him buy and license a new pcm, just to find out that the vin swap wont work anyways.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

What is this with vin's and saving licensing stuff about? A new pcm requires new credits. and you are not licensing a vin so much as a serial number in that pcm.

I'm not sure which ones will allow you to swap in the VIN,...but,...I do know one that you can cross off your "potentials" list,...it's the popular 0411 PCM swap (that many do in 96-99 GM trucks).

I can't change the VIN on my 0411 swap using HPTuners because the OS/VIN's need to be compatible (which they're not),...but if you know someone with EFILive, they can do it for you in a few seconds,.....not sure why they can and we can't.

AutoWiz,....he's simply asking what PCM's he can use for the swap - that will also allow him to transfer the VIN into it - I'd imagine it's because his buddy has emissions inspection requirements,...which we don't have down here in Florida.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    What is this with vin's and saving licensing stuff about? A new pcm requires new credits. and you are not licensing a vin so much as a serial number in that pcm.
    That is not really how the HPT licensing systems works. If you have only tuned vehicles in their original configuration, then you will have never encountered this situation. Those who have done powertrain conversions, where the VIN in the controller(s) must the vehicle VIN, are all too familiar with this issue.

HPT will generally allow you to license a controller with a preexisting VIN / OS mismatch. This means that prior to licensing the controller with HPT, you must change the VIN with some other utility. As the VIN and OS do not match, the HPT licensed used does not count toward any type of future upgrade to a year / model license, or unlimited license.

If you have already licensed the controller with HPT, then attempting to change the VIN to match the vehicle can become an issue.

Being a 2000 Blazer it should have the 0411 ECM factory. Then its just a matter of doing a segment swap
    2001 Jimmy ,L31 with marine intake,CPC conversion,Nv3500 5 speed,SAS,Dana 44's front and rear,4.30 gears..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bronc3buster842001 View Post
    Being a 2000 Blazer it should have the 0411 ECM factory. Then its just a matter of doing a segment swap

The 0411 (12200411) PCM (P01) was used in the 2001 and 2002 model years. The 1999 and 2000 P01 PCMs were 4896 (093504896).

A 2000 S-series Blazer with the 4.3L V6 engine was originally equipped with a Vortec (Black Box) PCM.

Advanced Tuner
    I can swap 98-2000 black box vins.. PM me privately please.