Thread: Frustrated...

Advanced Tuner

Frustrated...

I'm trying to tune the VE as I'm sure you all know. I decided to stop trying to use excel and just use the paste special multiply and now the car ran majorly lean. What am I doing wrong?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

When you do this, copy and paste special>mult by 1/2%

Post a tune file, that will help more.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Here are the tunes that led up to where I am. 2.2 wasn't bad, but I did the paste multiply and then in 2.3 scan, the car was waaay lean.

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

From the looks of it, 2.3's is set up to be leaner than 2.2?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner
    Purple,

I am not sure how you derived your 2.3 VE table. I took your 2.2 log and 2.2 HPT and got different values than you did in the 2.3 HPT. My version did not have the VE values reduce as much as yours did.

Tim

Advanced Tuner
    I set the hit count to 20, then I did a paste special multiply by %. Then I hit smooth selection once.

Leaner would mean that the values in the table go down so it thinks there isn't that much air going in so it doesn't spray as much fuel correct?

Looking at the 2.2 log, am I there already? I only have a spintech cat back. I think my problem lies in the high maf table because when I go WFO it goes waaay rich like 12.4 when I'm commanding 12.7-12.8.
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 06-17-2006 at 02:27 PM.

dont smooth the graph

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    I set the hit count to 20, then I did a paste special multiply by %. Then I hit smooth selection once.

Leaner would mean that the values in the table go down so it thinks there isn't that much air going in so it doesn't spray as much fuel correct?

Looking at the 2.2 log, am I there already? I only have a spintech cat back. I think my problem lies in the high maf table because when I go WFO it goes waaay rich like 12.4 when I'm commanding 12.7-12.8.
    I didn't touch any of the idle/part throttle areas of the VE or MAF when I tuned my car (stock). GM had those areas dead on. The high load/WOT areas did need work as you can see by the very rich A/F ratios.

I didn't smooth the new VE when I was looking at your stuff this morning. That is definitely something you need to pay attention to. Sometimes you want to smooth certain areas as opposed to doing a global smooth. If I have an area pretty close to where it needs to be I make sure smoothing doesn't destroy the areas that a very close.

Tim

Advanced Tuner
    MMm ok. I'm racing tommorrow, so I think I'll revert back to the "tim05" tune I know works. LOL.

When you make changes to the VE, do you make any kind of reciprical change to the MAF so that when you start tuning the maf, its not waaay off?

Do you think the scan with all the knock hurt the car at all? Most of it was when I was lugging in 3rd gear, not WFO.

Thanks guys. I'll get back to it on Wednesday. (car goes in for a new rear)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    MMm ok. I'm racing tommorrow, so I think I'll revert back to the "tim05" tune I know works. LOL.

When you make changes to the VE, do you make any kind of reciprical change to the MAF so that when you start tuning the maf, its not waaay off?

Do you think the scan with all the knock hurt the car at all? Most of it was when I was lugging in 3rd gear, not WFO.

Thanks guys. I'll get back to it on Wednesday. (car goes in for a new rear)
    Attached is the latest file for my car. I just did a little cleanup of the high load areas. I wouldn't be concerned about KR you see if the car is lugging. I would pay attention to normal throttle conditions. For example.. if you are cruising on the highway and you continually see KR while getting into the throttle lightly... that is something you will want to address.

As for your correcting the MAF... If it is part throttle stuff I will tweak slightly if the LTrims are not slightly negative. If I mess with WOT areas I will hook up the WB and tweak it based off the AFR error.

Tim