Thread: tuning info books guest etc?

Tuner in Training

tuning info books guest etc?

I've browsed the stickies and so on. I get the steps I understand some of it but I do understand why. I've seen info on the tuning school ERM a the denmah has a HP tuners course. Does anyone have a guide on the market for the basics that goes into intermediate/advanced use?
    Its a learning process everything is I hate to be that guy reselling his interface because they just can't grasp the concept.

Advanced Tuner
    Contact Ed Mowton (mowton on here), I believe he offers some one on one training and I know he has a fairly comprehensive guide he wrote and sells. His site is www.ermperformancetuning.com
    I build stuff...

If you are focused on GM products, as stated above, contact Ed. If you want a basic primer on Ford Coyote engines/ECUs, check out LaSota's Cookbook. There are several hands-on reputable training organizations as well.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Engine Managment Advanced Tuning is a book by Greg Banish, it's a good read for just getting the basics down of how systems work. It's not going to really show you a step by step with HPT as HPT has changed like 5 times since some of these books have come out but you'll get a good grasp of the basics.

I'm still waiting for HPT to even begin to update some of the how to's for new beginners because it seems hardly anyone understands 3.4+ software at first because there is literally no "newbie" guides for just getting yourself setup yet. It's understandable if they are rather busy getting content out to customers and explanding their product but they said they'd work on this stuff over a year ago with nothing yet.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Engine Managment Advanced Tuning is a book by Greg Banish, it's a good read for just getting the basics down of how systems work. It's not going to really show you a step by step with HPT as HPT has changed like 5 times since some of these books have come out but you'll get a good grasp of the basics.

I'm still waiting for HPT to even begin to update some of the how to's for new beginners because it seems hardly anyone understands 3.4+ software at first because there is literally no "newbie" guides for just getting yourself setup yet. It's understandable if they are rather busy getting content out to customers and explanding their product but they said they'd work on this stuff over a year ago with nothing yet.
    Thank you all for the props. Put alot of time and energy into the version 1.3 and the soon to release version 1.4 will be a beginners/advanced version with tons of detail. Also agree Greg's books are top notch for EFI/PCM theory and tuning strategies. As far as step by step HP Tuners, our tutorial takes you through each process (idle, VE, MAF, WOT, drivability etc.) using HP Tuners graphics and even have several embedded videos's showing how to's...

Ed M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mowton; 05-24-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo's
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I integrated my lm7 harness into my 1995 s10 started up runs well except a physical pcm issue so I need to get that and a y pipe built.
    I feel like if I can get a legitimate grasp on the subject it wouldn't be that bad? I've noticed just from searching information on ve alone seems people suggest 3-4 different ways and some are "outdated". It leads to a good amount of confusion and from what I've seen arguments lol.
    I'm assuming you are a hptuners dealer as well?

Quote Originally Posted by chrism1791 View Post
    I integrated my lm7 harness into my 1995 s10 started up runs well except a physical pcm issue so I need to get that and a y pipe built.
    I feel like if I can get a legitimate grasp on the subject it wouldn't be that bad? I've noticed just from searching information on ve alone seems people suggest 3-4 different ways and some are "outdated". It leads to a good amount of confusion and from what I've seen arguments lol.
    if its for me, then yes, I am a dealer as well.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    yes it was sorry for not being specific haha. Ill probably pick up the book first read some while looking over just the vcm suite while reading etc. Then purchase hp tuners im sure this is the type of thing that hands on experience really helps and im not really a person that can pick up something without actually doing it.
    Creating pid's etc seem to be the confusing part but I am guessing its just another language using a identifier number to create a pid without saying maf vs blah vs blah?

i bought ED M. bough. i have a lot of injection strategies knowledge since i'm a lamborghini tech and i have been working with them for more then 11 years. The only thing i have to say is that everybody should get that course before thinking to buy any hptuner suite. i'm also italian and i thought the language could have been a issues but i was wrong. the course is so well made that everyone will understand. including my mother. I bought the ED course and both thetuningschool ( 1000$)as well. 2 different thing. with the Ed one you wiil know what to change simply because you know how everything works.In conclusione i would say there is nothing better for the price. i also have the greg banish book and i think those books are great but they need to be updated

thumb up for the ED course.
    p.s. i.m not a professional tuner just a guy who wants to learn as much as possible because it's my passion
    Last edited by avido; 05-27-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    chrism: you are right! There's lots and lots of outdated or just wrong info floating around, much of it was written with good intentions but... Problem with the damn net is that such things just stay there for ever, they don't go away! I would go with a book or course if possible (just my opinion...) it will likely save you a fair few blind alleys like the ones I went down, haha...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Advanced Tuner
    As stated, there is a lot of misinformation on the internet about HP Tuners. Much of it is pre 3.x and some is simply incorrect or inefficient.
    Having spent a bit of money and a lot of time looking at several different avenues to teach myself what I know I would do it differently in hindsight. Most of this information wasn't available when I purchased HP Tuners years ago but if I was starting today I would:

1. Keep an open mind. If you think you are defeated, you are.
    2. Get Ed's book / class sessions - His book is the most current, cost effective, up to date and thorough method I've seen. Lots of what, why AND how, plus lots of bonus material.
    3. Read Greg Banish's two books - lots of information on what and why, but very so no little how to. Most important, you will have a good understanding of how the PCM thinks after reading them.
    4. Read Dan Maslic's book - lots of good information on what and why, but a few gaps in the "how to" area. Another good read that will help you understand how things work behind the curtain.
    5. Search this forum - lots of good information, but needs a LOT of sorting for relevance. As stated, much data is for previous versions.
    6. Datalog a good running 100% totally stock vehicle under a wide variety of conditions. See what the PCM commands the engine to do, how it reacts and learn to understand it. If you don't understand a stock vehicle, you will never get that cam, turbo or supercharged engine combination to run well or shift properly.

I haven't been to any live, in person tuning classes so I can't discuss those. Having been to several group training sessions in my professional life, there are a lot of variables that can affect the quality and most are outside your control.
    I build stuff...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism1791 View Post
    Buy HP from Ed, you wont be disappointed with the training he provides. Buy his manual also, definitely a good read.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    ...the soon to release version 1.4 will be a beginners/advanced version with tons of detail.
    Eagerly waiting!

Time flies and updating everything to 3.x takes lot of time.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    As stated, there is a lot of misinformation on the internet about HP Tuners. Much of it is pre 3.x and some is simply incorrect or inefficient.
    Having spent a bit of money and a lot of time looking at several different avenues to teach myself what I know I would do it differently in hindsight. Most of this information wasn't available when I purchased HP Tuners years ago but if I was starting today I would:

2. Get Ed's book / class sessions - His book is the most current, cost effective, up to date and thorough method I've seen. Lots of what, why AND how, plus lots of bonus material.
    3. Read Greg Banish's two books - lots of information on what and why, but very so no little how to. Most important, you will have a good understanding of how the PCM thinks after reading them.
    4. Read Dan Maslic's book - lots of good information on what and why, but a few gaps in the "how to" area. Another good read that will help you understand how things work behind the curtain.
    5. Search this forum - lots of good information, but needs a LOT of sorting for relevance. As stated, much data is for previous versions.
    6. Datalog a good running 100% totally stock vehicle under a wide variety of conditions. See what the PCM commands the engine to do, how it reacts and learn to understand it. If you don't understand a stock vehicle, you will never get that cam, turbo or supercharged engine combination to run well or shift properly.
    So true.

Some additions:

7. Try networking; i.e. introduce yourself to a local tuning community/dyno folks
    8. Keep asking questions if you feel unsure, even if you're not always getting feedback

Tuner in Training
    I appreciate all this info a lot of my family are techs and some just backyard mechanics so I have had to learn to do quite a bit and understand what sensors in a basic form do. I'll have to gets eds book it will more than likely be useful in diagnosing even normal issues with in depth info on how sensors work together. I'm still getting my truck to perfect running condition vacuum leaks etc right now before I think of even touching anything lol

Potential Tuner

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post

I haven't been to any live, in person tuning classes so I can't discuss those. Having been to several group training sessions in my professional life, there are a lot of variables that can affect the quality and most are outside your control.
    I'm a complete newb when it comes to tuning. I have a cammed Camaro that I want to learn how to tune on bit will first follow your advise here. I'll be picking these three books and will purchase Ed's materials after I've read the other three. I definitely want a good fundamental understanding of the WHAT and WHY before I start making changes.