Thread: Noob Question, I6

Tuner in Training

Noob Question, I6

OK, I bought HPTuners with Extended IO to play with my 01 SS. Plus I got a wideband.

My girlfriend has an Envoy. Really nice truck, but gas mileage is less than great.

I've been reading through the forum here. Before I license to fiddle around with her PCM, I have a few questions.

1) Is is possible with the software the way it is set up now, to make the thing run leaner?

2) If so, how?

3) I have a decent handle on the routine for tuning an LS1. Run open loop, log, adjust ve's, calibrate maf, etc. How much of this applies to what I understand are 4 VE tables??

4) Does the thing have a knock sensor, and can you log knock retard to set optimal ignition timing?

My goals on tuning her vehicle would be to set up pseudo lean cruise, make sure timing / mixture is optimal for city driving (she insists on putting higher octane gas in it), and making sure it is rich enough at wide open throttle. Any advice?

--97T--

Quote Originally Posted by NinerSevenTango
    OK, I bought HPTuners with Extended IO to play with my 01 SS. Plus I got a wideband.

My girlfriend has an Envoy. Really nice truck, but gas mileage is less than great.

I've been reading through the forum here. Before I license to fiddle around with her PCM, I have a few questions.

1) Is is possible with the software the way it is set up now, to make the thing run leaner?

2) If so, how?

4) Does the thing have a knock sensor, and can you log knock retard to set optimal ignition timing?
    Im still a newb at this myself, but what I can tell you is that the PE Enrichment tab would help with your questions 1 and 2. I did a sort of write-up, not sure if it would be much help to you, but i'll post it up either way..

your 4th question is that yes this engine does have a knock sensor... from the look of my runs, a very sensitive one at that!! My hardest part of my tune is actually trying to get rid of as much knock as i can, no matter wat i do, it's still always there...
    Last edited by Mep_q8; 06-26-2006 at 06:30 AM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Tuner
    If your looking to get better mileage, many people find that tuning your VE tables and your MAF helps with this. Changing the PE tables will NOT give you better mileage. They just control the Commanded Air Fuel Ratio. Another thing that I found in my Colorado was that I got 3/4 of a mile to a gallon more just in tuning my trans. Setting up the TCC and the shiftpoints to suit my driving style also made the truck alot more driveable.

AS for question Number 3... It's not as simple as all that. The big stumper that we are on right now, is how to figure out what phase the cam is in to know what table we need to be on. They gave you guys access to the tables on the trail/voy's, but us colorado guys are without them at the moment.

#4, yes you can.
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.

Tuner
    way to zq8... you sound like a pro tuner now!!!! as for your questions niner... all those things are possible and you do have a knock sensor...

the VE tables are going to take you a while to get right, but that is half the fun if you ask me. Chris also posted in one thread that Foff and i were talking in and he let us know these I5/I6's are similar to tuning a LS2/LS7, and we all know how easy that is
    2005 Chevy Colorado
    4/4 drop
    1.25" thick front and 1" thick rear sway bars
    Nitrous Express wet kit
    billet servo
    JL12W7 in custom ported box w/ Phoenix Gold 1200.1

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by zq8bob
    If your looking to get better mileage, many people find that tuning your VE tables and your MAF helps with this. Changing the PE tables will NOT give you better mileage. They just control the Commanded Air Fuel Ratio. Another thing that I found in my Colorado was that I got 3/4 of a mile to a gallon more just in tuning my trans. Setting up the TCC and the shiftpoints to suit my driving style also made the truck alot more driveable.

AS for question Number 3... It's not as simple as all that. The big stumper that we are on right now, is how to figure out what phase the cam is in to know what table we need to be on. They gave you guys access to the tables on the trail/voy's, but us colorado guys are without them at the moment.

#4, yes you can.
    the early I6's dont have a maf...its all VE baby.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    the early I6's dont have a maf...its all VE baby.
    Right... forgot. Still kinda loopy on Cold meds ...
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I guess I'll keep on reading to see if I can find a write-up on it.

--97T--