Thread: VCM scanner not scanning data on LS1

VCM scanner not scanning data on LS1

So yesterday i loaded a SD tune on my LS1 in the VCM editior and when i went to connect the VCM scanner i kept on getting this error. Ive never had this problem before. So I turned the car, hit the connect to vehicle button, it started to open all the drivers and loading the data then i get this error.

2017-05-02.png

So then i close, shut off the car, close the log file. I then turn the key to start, hit vehicle connect, it works and its logging, then i start the motor and it logs for like 5 secs then nothing, data goes blank. I hit disconnect and reconnect then i get the error again. I loaded a different MAF tune and still the VCM scanner would not connect.

2017-05-02 (3).png
    2017-05-02 (2).png
    2017-05-02 (1).png

So im not having issues with the VCM editor. it connects and allows me to upload a tune. Just this VCM scanner is all of a sudden not working right. I tried disconnecting the battery for a bit. checked my OBD2 port for voltage and grounds, cables are good. Hell i just bought the HP tuners unit like a month ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled the VCM suite. Ive tried different config files. my laptop battery charger is NOT plugged in.

Could there be a problem with my PCM?? Or the scanner program? Could someone please help me out with this cause this is so frustrating that all of a sudden its not working.

Advanced Tuner
    I had a similar odd problem where I suddenly and intermittently couldn't reliably read or flash CAN bus swaps or even stock CAN based vehicles. Even more perplexing, all the OBD II vehicles and swaps were fine. Turns out I had an open connection in the interface cable.

Just an idea.
    I build stuff...

i thought it might be a cable too. But if it was the cable the VCM editor wouldn't work either...I also have one of those code readers that i plugged into the OBD2 and it wouldn't scan either for codes. im thinking my PCM is messed up somehow but the car still runs...so I have no idea. I checked all my fuses, relays, and the terminal ends to the OBD2 port. everything seems fine. My engine harness BTW is a Painless harness so it should be good.

Could something have happened switching from a SD tune to MAF tune. Should i load the stock tune and write entire???instead of write cal?? Maybe change to a different OS system like 1 BAR MAF??

Advanced Tuner
    Sure its not some PC issue? Anything changed...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Nope PC is running fine, and the one thing i did try is is reloading the A and B channel drivers on MPVI pro and updated the other system drivers on the box itself. Maybe thatll work, havent tried scanning yet. Also hit up HPT support section to see if they can shed some light on this issue.

After the channel A/B uninstall and reinstall the VCM scanner is still not working. Still getting the error message that it won't connect. The other issue i had is once i had the car started and running, i shut the car off and tried to load a tune with the editor. turned key on hit write cal and the loader timed out. weird thing too is that the fuel pump didnt prime either like it normal does when i go key on. so timed out the 1st time, turned key off, waited about 30 sec. key on and tried to load again. Failed 2nd time, timed out. Then key off, and disconnected battery, waited about 3 min, reconnected, key on and hit write cal, tune loaded fine, and motor started up. Why is this??? Someone please help, dont understand whats going on here.

Document
    HP Tuners
    VCM Scanner
    Vehicles

Delete everything in there. This happened to me a couple weeks ago, and that fixed it.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Today i uninstalled the VCM suite and reinstalled, I double checked my relays once more by ohm testing and activating the relay with 12v power. All the relays check good. I made a short video of what the vcm scanner is doing so hopefully someone can help me out with this.

When i contacted HP tuners support i sent them the debug file and the scanner and editor info file and they replied with "you have a wiring problem." Anyone else ever had this problem?

Also i posted the voltage readings for my OBD2 port. I did notice that when the car is running the power pin connection seems to be fluctuating. Dont know if that is throwing off the readings or not.
    Last edited by tattooedsgt; 05-08-2017 at 12:03 AM.

So just a question? Could I have a corrupted PCM?? If i did would the motor still fire and run?? Reason i asked cuz i contacted Painless performance and the tech hotline said that i should check all my grounds to the harness, check, gtg. Then since i have my battery in the trunk, he asked i had my battery ground to the motor, NO, but the motor is grounded to the frame and frame grounded to the body. So i went out and bought a 15 ft of 2 gauge wire, hooked the neg term directly to cylinder head and proceeded to fire up the VCM scanner. and motor.
    Same crap, error code. called Painless back looking for any other things to check and i had told him what i had done and uploaded a SD tune then the scanner would not work. (BTW it was not a repository tune) just did the MAF fail on a stock tune. The painless tech said he could almost guarantee my PCM was corrupted.

So i went ahead and bought another PCM off ebay for a 99-00 camaro, so thats in the mail. So thinking that my PCM is failing i thought well i might as well try take my stock tune with a 1 bar MAF OS and write entire, just to see if by erasing the entire PCM and loading a new OS would do anything to fix the problem, NOPE, tune failed mid way through the erasing so now the car wont start at all. FML.

Im new to tuning and love to learn how to make power from tuning but im really regretting buying HPT and sticking with Fuel injection. Should have gone with a carb'd intake and been done. So much F-ing around