Thread: LDK vs LNF tuning new member

Potential Tuner

LDK vs LNF tuning new member

Hi all,

Im new here and also new at tuning so maybe this question has a simple answer but I can't seem to find it.

The ECM in my Opel is a GM E39A, its a manual. The engine is A20NFT

I would like to start tuning fuel trims and calibrate the maf sensor first before doing other things.
    In order to do that every tutorial explains how to deactivate the maf and first tune the VE table..
    For days i'm reading and watching video's but I can't seem to find the right table. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
    Kim

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    im pretty sure your ve table is under the edit tab in the editor. your looking for virtual ve
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply cobaltssoverbooster. I've been reading and viewing a lot of your guides so happy you are still active.
    This is my view in the Editor:

VE table not found.png

go to the edit tab at the very top of the editing software when your tune file is open.

select the "virtual volumetric efficiency" option. Thats VVE, this is what you will use to tune in VE mode. this tool allows you to apply corrections on a standard map and rpm based ve table and when you tell it to send updates to your tune file it will auto adjust the VE coefficients with the proper values to make your changes in the VE table happen.
    when it opens up it should look like this:
    VVE.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Found it! Thanks CSSOB!
    I looks exactly the same . However now I am not able to log this table correct, all values appear at the very bottom of the grid.
    I think I need to put a different PID in the row axis?

The first thing I would like to try is idle tuning because atm it smells very rich and it is not idling Ok. Sometimes it jumps up and sometimes it stutters and almost stalls..
    I do not want to drive the car before I have a descent base wich is free of problems so I thought to start at idle tuning...

To be honest this engine is brand new LDK with a lot of good parts ( Forged, fuelpump, 7163 EFR, head P&P, intake piping,..) and has been assembled by a official OPEL dealer but he did a very bad job.
    I took the car from the dealer, drove 200 Miles very calm and immediatly it had a check engine light so i decided to park it in my garage and search for a solution.
    First I had a very good look under the hood and was shocked! I made a lot of pictures and called the dealer.
    He told me he trusts his employ? more then me and that if there is something wrong is because I probably did it myself!unbelievable..

Long story short it appears his technician has done a lot of things wrong.. I could post some pics but i'm not shure that is allowed?

At this moment The car has been sitting 8 months and now it needs to go to MOT. For that is needs to pas exhaust emissions testing.
    I bought a PRO unit and decided to educate myself as much as possible and give this a try..

You may need to add some sensors to your channels list in order to plot the graph correctly. all you have to do is make sure each axis has a channel listed on the channel list and then track long and short term fuel trims for bank 1 only.
    then you make your axis match the table you choose and log ltft+stft maths against them. paste special (mult percent or mult percent half) to the vve tool then click transfer to coefficients.

i know how the system works since i monitored my sonic but i never actually tuned it since i was fighting a transmission shifting claim with gm north america and couldnt violate warranty.
    you may have to monitor manifold switch but im not sure what it is listed under let alone what it does. The lnf had a manifold switch setting that i always disabled, but it never showed a performance gain. maybe another member more familiar can guide you through the process now that you have found the correct tool.

Potential Tuner
    I saw the same option but also I don't know about any switch that influences the manifold. I think it is for variable intakes Only.

Yes, i understand the principal for using the graphs, thanks . I think maybe I need to set up a sensor trough math that compares map to baro pressure and maybe that wil give the right values. I wil try some things and I wil post back here for other people with same ECM.
    I can perfectly adjust the maf sensor by mapping maf frequency vs lt+st FT and then using paste special and multiply by percent. This way I get fuel trims very close to zero.
    By using my wideband I then check AFR during PE. If that is off and fuel trims are good than compensate in the PE table. Is that the right way or is there a better way?

But am I correct in thinking that during cold start the engine runs on VE ? and when the O2 sensor is warm it compensates via maf and fuel trims?
    Or is it just running fuel trims it used during the previous run? In any case it I think its best to have this table correct since now the engine has a very different turbo setup and the head is ported with oversized valves..

Thanks again for the reply's, I appreciate it a lot!

Advanced Tuner
    Your tables look similar to the LTG 2.0T

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Your tables look similar to the LTG 2.0T
    Yes, same ECU E39A
    Same than Cadillac ATS 2.0..

BTW Nice to see you around here Kim.