Thread: Duplicating my ECM onto a fresh, blank one

Tuner in Training

Duplicating my ECM onto a fresh, blank one

Rather than risking bricking my factory ECM (2015 Corvette Z06 A8) I was thinking I'd grab a spare PCM for $165 from RockAuto and then copy my virgin factory tune over to it. A couple of things I don't know, hoping people can answer for me:

a) Can I just read the factory ECM, plug in the blank new one, license it, and write the tune?

b) Does doing this set the VIN and so on? Or do I need to go a dealership and convince them to set the VIN with a Tech-2 before I can write it?

c) Can I do (b) on my own with a J2534 adapter and a subscription to acdelcotds.com or similar?

Thanks! Just trying to figure out the steps needed to "bootstrap" a brand new, blank ECM that I pick up from RockAuto or similar.

Thanks,
    Dave

The blank PCM must be programmed by a dealership level tool first before you can read it and license it.

You can have them program it to your VIN, then I would assume you'll have 2 computers for the same vehicle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Would it be least leg work and potentially save you a few bucks to buy a known good used PCM to duplicate your stock tune on it or just use the used pcm as your "custom" tuned pcm?

Assuming the spare used pcm is backed by purchasing the required credits, can you easily flash the current stock by overriding what ever is on the used pcm with your file AND your vin? Copy and paste/mirror tune basically.
    Last edited by * _ *; 04-29-2017 at 07:15 AM.