Thread: First time Tuning, SD tune, Feedback requested

Tuner in Training

First time Tuning, SD tune, Feedback requested

This is my first time tuning the LS engine with HPTuners, I'd like some input on my recent adjustments on my V.

06 CTS-V LS2,
    Ported Heads,
    2.02 in 1.57 ex valves
    TBSS intake manifold, 88MM TB (due to a screwup with the LS2 unit, will be getting an LS3 goldblade here soon to replace)
    1 3/4 LT headers, no cats.
    550cc injectors,
    450 lph pump
    Aeromotive fuel rails,
    aeromotive, in bay regulator
    -6 feed/return lines
    Flex sensor

I've done a few days of log/drive, and adjust with STFT's Here is my latest Log/Tune.
    3_30_2017_001 SD MAP.hpt
    2017_03_30_002.hpl
    I think I'm probably ready to turn on the maf again and start scaling that. what do you think?

Your VE map is pretty choppy but looks like it's dialed in under light loads. It's really lean for higher loads and I'd get that right even if you switch into MAF. That drop in your VE map shouldn't be there and it should look somewhat more like this:

map3.png

Interpolate that valley out should get you closer. Until then I'd be careful on heavy pulls because your wideband shows > stoich when loading the motor. It might have knocked if you were running more spark
    Last edited by NJ_Phil; 03-31-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    2012 C6 Base, Kooks 1-7/8" LT, Catted, NPP
    Novi 1500SL, 10% OD IW, Big Blower Cam, Flip Drive, 2x Alky, ID1000
    Nitto NT05R 305x19, 255x18 on CCW T10s
    Self built and tuned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod2UTqrVwM

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Phil View Post
    Your VE map is pretty choppy but looks like it's dialed in under light loads. It's really lean for higher loads and I'd get that right even if you switch into MAF. That drop in your VE map shouldn't be there and it should look somewhat more like this:

map3.png

Interpolate that valley out should get you closer. Until then I'd be careful on heavy pulls because your wideband shows > stoich when loading the motor. It might have knocked if you were running more spark
    Can you point me to where in the log you see the WB going lean? the highest number i'm seeing on the WB's is ~3:22-3:23 in the log where I was having chop issues (jerkyness pulling my foot off the throttle, then pressing it on again) my Widebands are setup for EQ ratio, so >1 is lean, <1 is rich.

Go to 4.34 in the log when you are wot and lambda is .99---lean, should be around .86. Look at the ve table at 83kpa at 5200 rpm. That is the dip that phil is talking about. Your wot spark is low, but that is good as your low octane table is the same as the high octane. Under fuel, Is the boundary table stock? Is all of the injector data correct? If you are going to disable PE, don't go wot. Maybe don't log maf when you are tuning ve.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 03-31-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

^^^ What he said ^^^

Senior Tuner
    .your EOIT Boundary table is WAY too delayed and could be affecting fueling 770+ deg...!!!
    .injector tip temp offset should have some values in there
    .PE table is hilly the VE needs correcting dont use the PE to correct for VE issues
    .PE TPS enable can be much lower to help its not actual tps% used, about 10% in table is about 40% actual
    .transient fuel disabled..?

Tuner in Training
    OK, as far as I know i Have PE disabled, maybe that's one part of my issue. I'm not trying to tune PE right now, i'm trying to get the VE tables correct so the PE calculations will also be correct.

I removed the injector tip temps because I read somewhere they cause issues when logging right after flashing, is this wrong? what is the correct way to do this?

the EOIT table is delayed because that's where the calculator from here suggests.

Maybe i'm blind, at 4.34 i'm seeing O2's switching just fine, and a commanded 0.990 EQ ratio......

Why shouldn't one log the MAF when tuning VE? is there a problem with having more information in the log? is logging MAF screwing with the ECM's calculations even though the MAF is failed and therefore running SD?

as far as WOT without PE, I retarded my Spark tables far enough that I'm confident i'm not causing issues with predetonation, and I understand that sustained operation like this will burn valves. again I'm just trying to get the VE table in, so I can move on.

the Injector data is as correct as I can find for these injectors and my setup. I've done quite a bit of calculations to try and get them exactly what they should be (granted, this is my first HPTuners experience, so i could be doing things wrong here)

I took NJ_Phill's advice and interpolated out that valley, then logged again this morning. here's the results of that. It seems my VE is quite rich in the upper RPM ranges. How do you usually log these ranges reliably? stick it in second and rev the engine through the roof? (not so happy about that one, but it seems to be the only way shy of a dyno)

3_31_2017_002 SD MAP drastic.hpt2017_03_31_002.hpl

suggestions from here? with explanations of why please. I am trying to understand WHY to do things, not just to do them.
    Last edited by Ironhydroxide; 03-31-2017 at 09:56 AM.

As for the VE:
    You should be always be monitoring AFR readings off your wideband in a graph that has matching axis to your VVE tables. (Map vs RPM). The AFR on that sensor is by far more important that any trim values when under load. There are many ways to tune and most who have WB do enter PE so trims have no effect and tune off WB readings but I suppose your way of disabling PE and using trims is OK... well kinda ok....but STFTs couldn't correct enough around that pull @ the 14 min mark of that original log and it leaned out. Graph MAP vs RPM if you haven't already and you'll see it.

rich.png

You're getting close and the low end is pretty nice... Just set up a graph with the same axis as your VVE table, copy that graph data and paste using 10% to your VVE table and write the equations back. Since the VVE table is "reversed" your graph will have map on the vertical axis and RPM on the horizontal so don't set it as shown.
    Last edited by NJ_Phil; 03-31-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Senior Tuner
    .its best to keep PE enabled just encase and just use a filter to remove any changes in EQ, the VE stays correct whether ur in PE or not (with WB) its all just a multiplier from VE anyway
    . those EOIT numbers are way too delayed so something is off in the calculations, what cam specs do u have..? zero out the RPM table, set the ECT to all 90 and boundary to all 520 for now then u can make changes after that see what its like durin a drive

Maybe i'm blind, at 4.34 i'm seeing O2's switching just fine, and a commanded 0.990 EQ ratio......

What I was trying to point out was that you are running at 14.6 afr (.990) at wide open when it should be 12.5--to 12.8 afr or .86 or so lambda. The other guys covered the rest. Good tuning.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post

What I was trying to point out was that you are running at 14.6 afr (.990) at wide open when it should be 12.5--to 12.8 afr or .86 or so lambda. The other guys covered the rest. Good tuning.
    Gotcha, thankyou for helping.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    .its best to keep PE enabled just encase and just use a filter to remove any changes in EQ, the VE stays correct whether ur in PE or not (with WB) its all just a multiplier from VE anyway
    . those EOIT numbers are way too delayed so something is off in the calculations, what cam specs do u have..? zero out the RPM table, set the ECT to all 90 and boundary to all 520 for now then u can make changes after that see what its like durin a drive
    CAM specs are 277/287 @0.006 227/234 @0.050 0.614/0.576 113+2 LSA

I see you've gone through that EOIT calculator quite a bit as well, is something off elsewhere in my map causing me to have to retard the boundary so far? Or am I just trying to make the EOIT's way too late? I notice in most other peoples graphs their Normal RPM (degrees) is full 0, but mine isn't.

can you explain what you mean by a "filter to remove any changes in EQ"?

Thanks
    Last edited by Ironhydroxide; 04-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Senior Tuner
    yea set your eoit RPM to all zero then u use the boundary for the rpm changes, what i do is set boundary to all 520 then lower the ECT table until the fuel isn't going out the exhaust, then use the boundary from 1500 up just increase as it likes it but keep it smooth, the filter is maths in the scanner so u can filter out say the lean change when the EQratio goes from 1.0 to say .85 on the WB so if u set them up right u can just drive around with WB going and only see the good data, then u don't have to try and tune in stoich all the time

Senior Tuner
    just make sure u have the latest V17 of the eoit spreadsheet, your overlap is within 1 deg of mine so the changes i mentioned should be good for your idle (ECT all 90, RPM zeroed, boundary 520 up to 1500rpm) or depending on IPW u could try ECT at 80, then just adjust it for the rpm keeping it smooth as it goes up
    Last edited by 07GTS; 04-02-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I don't know why the OE tune for this car had so much in the normal RPM table. I have pulled all of that out, as well as pulling all the normal ECT at operating temperature, and scaled the warmup temps to coincide. the boundary is much less aggressive now. I pulled the calculator from the last post with the calculator uploaded, so I am guessing that's the latest "version" I've adjusted a fair amount. Here's the most recent tune/log. I think it still needs a little richer in the higher kpa's and a little leaner in the off throttle higher rpm.
    4_01_2017_001 SD MAP LS3 throttle maps.hpt
    2017_04_02_001.hpl
    2017_04_02_002.hpl

Senior Tuner
    looking at your tune those eoit settings still look strange and tried them in the sheet and are way advanced down low and too delayed up top, shouldnt zero the ect just set it to all 90 and set the boundary to all 520 with the rpm all zeroed, that should suit your cam for idle then only adjust the boundary from 1500rpm up to suit what your engine likes, it may like all 520 or if not change the 6000rpm to 530 and interpopulate to the 1500 and see what its like and just go up like that at a time (best results on a dyno to see the differences in torque as u change it)