Thread: Starting questions

Tuner in Training

Starting questions

I have a 2008 G8GT that is cammed, cold air intake, headers and is catless.

It runs great and idles just fine. The only issue I haven't resolved yet is sometimes it has a very weak start. What I mean by this is, it turns over fine. Starts quickly too, but the rpms are very low and it slowly comes to life. It does this when it's warmer out and it tries to die once in a while. I've had warm morning when I start it and it fired up for half a second and dies.

What tables should I look at to make it have a stronger start?

Cam specs 219/223 .625/.625 112+0 lsa

Still learning myself but have you adjusted your Target Idle Speed?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sixt9stang View Post
    Still learning myself but have you adjusted your Target Idle Speed?
    Oh yeah that's all good. It idles great and everything. It's just on startup it doesn't have the powerful start. It slowly starts up. Not as in the starter has trouble, it does fine. It's the whole initial start seems weak at times.

Although now I've got it fixed up a bit better. Finally started playing with the tables and found the ones that seemed to help

Tuner in Training
    can you tell me what tables you adjusted to fix you problem? or post a copy of your tune.

i am having the same problems.

I would also be interested in the tables or your tune as I will be putting my car back together this weekend after removing the DOD.

I had similar issue on a similar setup, adjusted numerous things idle airflow/rpm, start up airflow, idle spark,cranking spark etc but
    was unable to fix, I dropped 20% off my cranking VE table and found a great improvement.

Tuner in Training
    I modified my startup airflow by 5% at a time until it finally started coming to life better. Completely fixed that issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sixt9stang View Post
    I would also be interested in the tables or your tune as I will be putting my car back together this weekend after removing the DOD.
    PM me your email

Senior Tuner
    with a cam u can try less timing around 150 rpm so it's more into compression which helps ignition, i use around 5 deg then increase up to idle timing at 800rpm works well and lowering cranking VE around 85 can help, just see what yours likes