Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Request: Convert to 3bar Setup for Turbo

Advanced Tuner

How To Request: Convert to 3bar Setup for Turbo

I have a 3bar MAP sensor Part #12592525 and larger injectors ready for a switch to turbo boost. I'm using a GM E38 ECM and HP Tuners version 3.4.78 to tune it.

I can't seem to quickly find the process for going to a single bar NA setup to a 3bar turbocharged setup. I could really use a How To document in bullet point format right about now.

Some guys have suggested I will be going to a Speed Density tune. Please supply your opinions and let me know how to do it. Remove the MAF sensor and then??

The turbo headers haven't shown up yet, so I am starting to build the cold side right now. Many thanks in advance to those that chime in.
    Last edited by scottt28; 03-04-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Where in Texas are you? May be better to take it somewhere. Technically you don't need a custom operating system to use a boost map sensor. You don't need to ditch the maf either.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Where in Texas are you? May be better to take it somewhere. Technically you don't need a custom operating system to use a boost map sensor. You don't need to ditch the maf either.
    I live right up the road from you in Round Rock. Mocking up the cold side today.

Is it as simple as installing all the parts (hot sode, cold side, injectors etc). and firing it up?

Yea today is gross. Lol.

Yes. Put in map sensor data and injector data, and go. The enhanced OS gives some more functions but nothing required. The only nice thing is the boost enrichment.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuning Addict
    And baro update limiter if your running SD only... I personally think of that one being the most important - not so much at lower altitudes, but if changing altitude at all - very important as fueling will change 5 to 20%...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Yea today is gross. Lol.

Yes. Put in map sensor data and injector data, and go. The enhanced OS gives some more functions but nothing required. The only nice thing is the boost enrichment.
    I'm using 120 lb TFS Injectors... No scaling required with the new setups?

Some have suggested that you ultimately end up with a speed density tune when boosting... if that's the case, can't I just get rid of the MAF?
    Last edited by scottt28; 03-05-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Some computers allow for 127lb/hr injectors before needing to scale, without knowing exactly what you are using I can't tell you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Some computers allow for 127lb/hr injectors before needing to scale, without knowing exactly what you are using I can't tell you.
    GM E38 ECM and Fuel Injectors, TFX™, 120 Lbs./Hr., Bosch-Style, 2.2 Ohms Impedence, Jetronic Plug, Universal, Set of 8.
    Last edited by scottt28; 03-05-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Those are low impedance injectors and not plug and play with your ECM.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by scottt28 View Post
    GM E38 ECM and Fuel Injectors, TFX™, 120 Lbs./Hr., Bosch-Style, 2.2 Ohms Impedence, Jetronic Plug, Universal, Set of 8.
    Okay but what GM E38, they put those in tons of vehicles and not all are the same.

The early ones like in a corvette or a G8 or GM truck can only handle so much injector before needing to scale. Any of the computers from like 2010+ got a larger limit.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay but what GM E38, they put those in tons of vehicles and not all are the same.

The early ones like in a corvette or a G8 or GM truck can only handle so much injector before needing to scale. Any of the computers from like 2010+ got a larger limit.
    The ECM/original tune is for a 2009 Chevrolet Express van VIN 86YSYSK25288SFAP. Does that help?

To me, no as I don't have the file to view.

But if you do, just look at and hover the mouse over the injector flow rate table. It will either say 63.5 or 127lbs/hr for the size of the injectors it can work with.

Advanced Tuner
    To me, no as I don't have the file to view.

But if you do, just look at and hover the mouse over the injector flow rate table. It will either say 63.5 or 127lbs/hr for the size of the injectors it can work with.
    And THAT is a great little piece of advice. 127 lbs. I am golden. Thanks!

Assuming they are rated at the fuel pressure you're running. If they're rated at 3 bar and you're running 4 then you'll be over

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Assuming they are rated at the fuel pressure you're running. If they're rated at 3 bar and you're running 4 then you'll be over
    I'm told that Holley/Accel/TFS 120lb injectors are the same... and they flow 120 lbs at 43 lbs fuel pressure. I'm using a 3bar MAP and I can't imagine running more than 3 bar of boost. I'll probably be running around town with 6-8 pounds of boost. The trans is only rated to 700 ft lbs, so I don't want to push it until I get some billet shafts etc.

Totally different things. Of course you aren't running 60 psi of boost, lol

GM typically uses 4 bar fuel pressure, i.e. 58psi. which turns those [email protected] fuel pressure into ~138lb/hr injectors @ 58psi

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Totally different things. Of course you aren't running 60 psi of boost, lol

GM typically uses 4 bar fuel pressure, i.e. 58psi. which turns those [email protected] fuel pressure into ~138lb/hr injectors @ 58psi
    These injectors are rated at 120lbs @ 43.5 psi fuel pressure. I called TFS.... they said "call Holley because they are the same injector"... which I thought was pretty crappy customer service. It seems the SOB was too lazy to check into it and I will remember it.

So I called Holley... the guy that picked up the phone said he has asked the engineering guys for injector flow rates @ various voltages and offsets and never been able to get them. Again, I thought this was pretty crappy customer service. It seems that they sell the stuff, so they ought to have the data.

Right now, it seems I'll be running these injectors at 43.5 psi - leaving all of the offsets as they are now.

Buddy I'm telling you this again, those injectors are 2.2 ohm a.ka. low impedance. Your ECU will only drive high impedance injectors without an injector driver box (which I don't recommend)
    You will be much further ahead to return those injectors and pony up for ID850's or larger, with real usable data that are high impedance designed to work with your stock ECM.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    Buddy I'm telling you this again, those injectors are 2.2 ohm a.ka. low impedance. Your ECU will only drive high impedance injectors without an injector driver box (which I don't recommend)
    You will be much further ahead to return those injectors and pony up for ID850's or larger, with real usable data that are high impedance designed to work with your stock ECM.
    Roger that.

Anybody got an opinion on FIC 1100s versus Deatschwerks 1200s?

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/ls3-ls...99/IS303-1100H

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products...tors-20-detail

Advanced Tuner
    I use Fuel Injector Connection exclusively and have had no issies