Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Multiple VE tables

Let me know if you have success with them & what you find out!

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    You are my new personal Hero...

EDIT: Couple of questions EC...

You just set the MAf Hz fail to 0 and turned off Closed loop with the live controls right? No trans issues or anything?
    Last edited by zq8bob; 06-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    now you've gone to far Bob
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Don't worry Bill, you've been on the list for a while too.
    2007 Mustang GT

I just set the MAF Fail to 0. Didn't see much reason to go O/L as the motor itself is stock. If it had different cams, blower, turbo, long tubes, etc then I would have spent time in O/L tuning. There's enough to keep you busy in the 4 VE tables as it is.

As to trans, it behaved beautifully in SD mode. No issues whatsoever.

As to procedure, I fixed the VE's & then the MAF. The VE wasn't so bad, just a bunch of tables to deal with.

It was amazing how the KR comes and goes on these trucks. One second there's KR, the next, none, then it comes back again!??? In the same g/cyl-RPM cell too! That was the part that really gave me the most fits.

I had KR in places I've never seen it before like .20 g/cyl at 3200 RPM. That's pretty light load for KR to occur! And again, it would come & go. No rhyme or reason. MAF On or MAF Off it didn't matter.

BTW: It was tuned on 87 octane but I don't think the octane rating should cause the amount of KR I was seeing. Guess I need a couple more trucks to work on to find out if this is a normal occurance or vehicle specific.

HTH anyone else tuning an I5

EC

Tuner
    wow thanks for those extra tables EC... i was thinking the motor never hit the max postion like it should.. i guess we need to head over to the request forum to request our cam controls like the I6 guys have... that would make a load of differnce. i have been tuning my VE tables as well and the truck does respond beutifuly to SD mode... i am honestly thinking of keeping it in SD unless it performs that well with the VE all in line and the MAF scaled to how it should be
    2005 Chevy Colorado
    4/4 drop
    1.25" thick front and 1" thick rear sway bars
    Nitrous Express wet kit
    billet servo
    JL12W7 in custom ported box w/ Phoenix Gold 1200.1

Having all the tables in line will smooth everything out but I don't know if it's worth any HP or Tq as things move around a bit as the PCM makes adjustments.

EC

Tuner
    i doubt it gained any extra hp or torque... but the motor is pullling in mor air for sure and using it than when i have the MAF turned on.. now all that could change when i get it scaled and the VE tables all in line but at this point the truck picks up much quiker in the light to mid throttle range in SD mode... WOT is still the same though... we need acces to our cam angles and what-not now is what we need... i made a post in the requests section so we'll see what happens
    2005 Chevy Colorado
    4/4 drop
    Nitrous Express wet kit
    billet servo

Tuner
    EC, I think the reason you were getting weird knock like that is because we don't have a true knock sensor as it were. The computer uses a mathematical setup to know where the engine should be at all times, and when this reading is not what it expects, it treats it as knock... even if its just a bogging of the engine... Kind of a weird setup, and even with bone stock timing on 94 octaine, I was seeing KR in some places of 3 anr 4 degrees.
    2007 Mustang GT

Tuner
    So you got the MAf back in place yet?
    2007 Mustang GT

Tuner in Training
    how do I set my truck to run in SD mode? I got the maf fail at 0 hz and set the 101, 102, 103 DTC's to MIL on first error. Is there anything else I need to change? I think it's still getting feedback from the maf.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    unplug the maf

Tuner in Training
    yeah? isn't the IAT sensor in the maf as well? it's safe to unplug it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    ahh didnt realize yours had the iat in the maf...why is it you think its still getting feedback?

Tuner in Training
    it's probably not... I'm using ECtune's config, and on the chart display the injectors are following the MAF Hz. but I guess that's what's supposed to happen, right? Also, I did some logging yesterday in sd mode and made some changes to the ve tables. well I drove about a half mile today and threw a 0068 code. I was getting this code before the tuner but was only at WOT and ~5300 rpms. I just figured that my maf was off and needed to be recalibrated for the new intake. I got the code today at part throttle and low rpms. not exactly sure what as the scanner doesn't show that information when a code is thrown as far as I know.

anyway, while in sd mode I shouldn't be getting this code if my maf is off, I guess my map sensor's going bad???

Quote Originally Posted by zq8bob
    EC, I think the reason you were getting weird knock like that is because we don't have a true knock sensor as it were. The computer uses a mathematical setup to know where the engine should be at all times, and when this reading is not what it expects, it treats it as knock... even if its just a bogging of the engine... Kind of a weird setup, and even with bone stock timing on 94 octaine, I was seeing KR in some places of 3 anr 4 degrees.
    Actually there is a knock sensor attached to the block near the skirt. Saw pic's of it on ColoradoFans.com.

It was in a post pertaining to a TSB for exhaust valve springs during a particular production run. Happens around 20K miles. Yikes!
    BTW: The sensor looks to be a corporate type of sensor as the LS2 uses it as well.

EC

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by zq8bob
    So you got the MAf back in place yet?
    not yet.... the temps here vary over 30 degrees between day and night and then when it rains it is humid other wise it is dry as a bone, so i am getting all my VE tables done before i start to scale the MAF. Reason i am doing all this is i plan on installing a computer in the truck and hooking it up to my in-dash dvd player so i can tune on the fly in the truck for what ever is going on... i'll update when i am done but i can tell you the truck is performing better and better as the tables get dialed in
    2005 Chevy Colorado
    4/4 drop
    Nitrous Express wet kit
    billet servo

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Actually there is a knock sensor attached to the block near the skirt. Saw pic's of it on ColoradoFans.com.

It was in a post pertaining to a TSB for exhaust valve springs during a particular production run. Happens around 20K miles. Yikes!
    BTW: The sensor looks to be a corporate type of sensor as the LS2 uses it as well.

EC
    Yeah, the exhaust valve springs are somewhat notorious on the '04's... Same with the heads... My truck is an early '05 build, so I am half expecting to be the proud owner of a new head in about 12K more miles..

about the knock sensor... weird. Everything I had read said that we didn't have one... Even Foff was asking about it... Wonder why we can't monitor the knock sensor directly then, and have to look at the "total knock retard" (or whatever its called) pid...
    2007 Mustang GT

Same PID as the LS2's. Doesn't have the old KR PID. GM does things "differently" as they "progress". hehehe

Tuner in Training
    I've disabled the MAF and DFCO and my factory VE tables seem to be right there. +/-4 with with a few cells at -5 -6. does this seem right? I disabled the DFCO because my fuel trims would go to -10 and lower when I was off the throttle. I kept adjusting the table for the -10 and no change.