Thread: Torque Management Only?

Tuner in Training

Torque Management Only?

I was wondering if only disabling torque management on my 2004 4.8 GMC (4 speed Auto) is ok. I've only messed withed the torque management and nothing else. Just trying to keep it from pulling spark after each gear. Is it safe?

Senior Tuner
    Leaving the truck 100% stock is safe. Although even 100% stock vehicles can have drive train problems. Modifying anything puts more stress on the drive train. With that being said I turn off all TM on every tune I do, including my own 04 Silverado with a 4.8L. Been that way for 4 years and 50K miles.

Tuner in Training
    When I first removed the torque management from my 2005 5.3 Sierra, I had really sluggish shifts. Especially the 1-2 and WOT 1-2 was horrible. Besides the crappy shift feel, it made me concerned about burning clutches in the trans, so I installed a Transgo shift kit and a 093 servo. Cleaned up the shifts for $60 worth of parts + fluid.

Senior Tuner
    There are other things to do in the tune to make the shifts crisper with TM removed. I never just remove TM without changing time delays and line pressures too. With TM pulling the throttle back on ETC vehicles they are going to seem crisper. The rear gear ratio and tire size can have an effect on how they feel. Lots of 2WD 05-07 Classics have 3.23 gears and feel like slush boxes when shifting.