Thread: Need Info on ECM replacement after it has been tuned.

Tuner in Training

Need Info on ECM replacement after it has been tuned.

I'm looking to buy HP Tuners and have spent at least a month playing with the demo software and getting used to how the menus operate and where things are ect, ect. I understand how the credit system works to license a vehicle to tune but what I am not understanding is say, I tune a truck one day and everything is customer satisfactory, but as time goes by it eventually suffers an ECM failure and gets the ECM replaced and reprogrammed with factory tunes ect. Since the vin didnt change can I simply re up-load the tune or do i have to completely re-license the ECM to up load the tune back? Any information will be helpful. I am a capable mechanic and confident in my tuning abilities I just want to be fully informed before committing to a purchase and I want to know these things before I start tuning vehicles for customers so I could inform them if it would cost them additional money to put their tune back on their vehicle if they have to have the computer replaced. I haven't found this information anywhere yet. Any additional information pertaining to using this software that may be quarky or really good to know before committing to the purchase would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance and happy tuning!

Senior Tuner
    Think of it as licensing the actual PCM, not the VIN. If the PCM is replaced with a different one then you would have to license the different PCM again. While PCMs do occasionally go bad in the 13 years and thousands of vehicles I've tuned it is pretty rare to have to replace one. If it was just the VIN that was controlling the license then you could flash multiple PCMs with the same VIN and only purchase one license. And you can see why they do the licensing the way they do.

If you have to completely replace the PCM, you'd have to license that computer. So costing more credits. Then you could copy over the changes you had made in a previous tune file to the new "stock" file on the new PCM.

You won't want to write a tune file from a different computer straight into another computer, something could mismatch or glitch and brick your new computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks I was just curious because I have replaced more than a few older GM truck computers since I have started working for the Chevy dealer. Having to license the unique PCM ID makes sense rather than licensing a vin tag ID. I have used Ford IDS to flash the same vin to multiple work trucks to fool a hand held scanner into loading the same tune on a fleet of trucks. I have pulled PCM's from junk trucks and reprogrammed with GM's software to a new truck as a replacement but didn't think I could move the tune file quite that easy. If I am understanding correctly once I have unlocked or licensed a PCM I can make as many adjustments as I'd like without additional cost at any time I choose, correct?
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider117 View Post
    If I am understanding correctly once I have unlocked or licensed a PCM I can make as many adjustments as I'd like without additional cost at any time I choose, correct?
    Yes basically you license a tune, and a PCM. Change one and you need another license. And yes you can do unlimited mods to your tune once licensed and copy setting out of any other unlicensed tune for free, you can also read any supported PCM for free to see/copy settings to your licenced tune... Also HPT has recently made huge updates to the Editor and Scanner, v3.4 from v2.24 and that update was also free. They also made OS Enhancements for those OS which support them, for free. They have a newer one v3.5 coming eventually, should have even more support and features, will likely be free.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 01-25-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Thank you sir! Making my HPT purchase today. I'm only going to get the standard VCM as I don't need the ability right now to bring in external sensors. Maybe one day in the future but for now the standard setup is all I need. Hopefully it arrives fast and I can get to tweaking with tunes!
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

if your using the standard version on a CAN vehicle, then if you need, you can use AEM 30-0333 CAN wideband. You can also use Serial output Widebands connected to the laptop serial input. No real need to pay extra for the analog inputs anymore since the digital outputs don't work with 3.4 anyway.

"An OBD-II output can be used in conjunction with CAN based OBD-II ports found in 2008 and newer vehicles to replace or supplement stock O2
    sensors with the fast LSU4.9 sensor for more accurate mixture control. A 0-5V analog output and serial output is included and can be used with data loggers or aftermarket ECUs"
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires