Thread: Forced Induction Steady State Tuning Advice

Forced Induction Steady State Tuning Advice

I would like some advice on steady state tuning. I have yet to write up the base tune for it but I will be setting the car into open loop via the HPTuners e40 pcm write up. I will be tuning for both Speed Density and MAF as my GTO does not see more than 2Bar a grand total of13psi. On the street tuning the car with the MAF I have not had any issues. I just want to compare MAF to VE.

For SD,

I am familiar with the concept of steady state tuning when it comes to NA VE. My concern for 2BAR type tables is how to tune the heavier load ranges of the table(s); particularly when it transitions from Vacuum to Boost. IOW's do I continue holding load in each cell transitioning into the lower boost VE table, say for example 1-3psi, aiming for 14.7:1? Or do I save the Part Throttle style tuning for the Vacuum side only stopping at 100kpa.

In addition,

This GTO runs a dual pump set up with a vacuum regulated return line. The secondary pump is activated via a HOBBs pressure switch at roughly 6psi. I have already adjusted base fuel pressure via the regulator at the factory recommended 59psi. What should I expect to see when the car goes WOT on the dyno with this set up. Will I be able to smooth any effects the secondary pump activation will have on the AFR with just tuning the tables or is are their other parameters that should be addressed as well.

Tuner
    with tuning the second pump should be no problem. the tune will tell u what it wants. It may have a rich spike but I don't see y it would affect anything. I usually tune my part throttle area below 100kpa as I would with a NA engine. Smooth part throttle driving around. As going into boost u should be commanding some type of PE and so the tune will compensate. I usually take my time and work the tune up on 5psi boost increments.

My buddy Denmah on ls1tech says he usually uses this for timing. http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...end-5-3-a.html

I also start out with a rich VE above 100kpa to have some safety for error. Boost and LEAN bends rods! I know!
    Last edited by brandon6.0; 01-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    2000 silverado rcsb lq4/4l80e. Custom s480 turbo setup. 93oct meth injected. SD Tuned by me.

2007 tbss ls2/4l80e. Nitrous!!! MAF Only Tuned by me.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon6.0 View Post
    with tuning the second pump should be no problem. the tune will tell u what it wants. It may have a rich spike but I don't see y it would affect anything. I usually tune my part throttle area below 100kpa as I would with a NA engine. Smooth part throttle driving around. As going into boost u should be commanding some type of PE and so the tune will compensate. I usually take my time and work the tune up on 5psi boost increments.

My buddy Denmah on ls1tech says he usually uses this for timing. http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...end-5-3-a.html

I also start out with a rich VE above 100kpa to have some safety for error. Boost and LEAN bends rods! I know!

the GTO is supercharged via a magnuson tvs2300. I would not have that boost control you suggest. but I understand. In essence treat it like you would NA. keep part throttle tuning under Vacuum (x<100kpa).

Getting a little more technical here,
    under NA circumstances at WOT, the histograms would highlight the edge of the table 100 KPA heaviest load or so throughout the RPM range.
    For Boost in my case, would I be shooting for 14.7:1 in these cells or should I slightly enrichen the AFR; even though this is not considered WOT range anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs1 View Post
    the GTO is supercharged via a magnuson tvs2300. I would not have that boost control you suggest. but I understand. In essence treat it like you would NA. keep part throttle tuning under Vacuum (x<100kpa).

Getting a little more technical here,
    under NA circumstances at WOT, the histograms would highlight the edge of the table 100 KPA heaviest load or so throughout the RPM range.
    For Boost in my case, would I be shooting for 14.7:1 in these cells or should I slightly enrichen the AFR; even though this is not considered WOT range anymore?
    Don't confuse yourself, the air is still there and so is cylinder pressure. It's not like cylinder pressure goes down under 100kpa just because you add FI. Leave PE Enable Criteria the same as NA.

This is also why some of the custom OS have PE and BE so you can richen up for heavy load under 100 and even more for over 100. You might look into a custom os for your application.