Thread: Any tuners near St. Augustine Fl?

Potential Tuner

Any tuners near St. Augustine Fl?

I have a LS3/460 with a PCM that was tuned wrongly to a 2008 Silverado. Running a 4L65e transmission. Engine cranks, and sort of attempts to start but will not.

I spoke with the vendor I purchased the wire harness and PCM from, and ultimately they checked the records on the tune and told me I need to get someone out to tune it correct.

I'm in St. Augustine, Fl. Anyone out there that is close that could come to get it tuned?

Tuner
    Im 3hrs away. Did it have any tuning previously? Or did u just swap in a pcm and standalone harness? U have hptuners access?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    can you verify which PCM it has?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Does 1008 make sense for which PCM?

Here's an update on where I'm at, etc.

My engine is a new crate LS3/430. Transmission is a 4L65E.

Problem I've been chasing is it is hard to start. It cranks a lot, occasionally fires a bit but right back to cranking. I did get it started a couple times, and it seemed to idle fine then.

So I spoke with the vendor where I purchased the wiring harness and tuned PCM. He asked if I had checked fuel pressure, and I hadn't then , but have since. (More on that in a bit). After discussing for a while, they pulled up my records to check the tune. Here is an approximation of what he said:

You need to get it dino tuned. That engine comes with a 4L80 transmission, and with your 4l60 you are using, we didn't have the software (I'm presuming a particular 'kit' or whatever that you get from GM to tune it), and so we programmed it for a 2008 Silverado.
    Someone I communicated with on my build thread in Chevytalk did say that certainly that engine would need a tune more like a Camaro.

So, I got the fuel pressure gauge yesterday, and checked pressure. It is a problem. When I first turn on ign, the pump pressures the line to around 70, pump stops, and pressure immediately drops to 0. Then cranking engine it stays at 0, when cranking stops, the pump runs just a moment...it gets to 40 then drops to 0. Long story short, I need to put a check valve in front of the filter/regulator (which is back by the tank).

Assumption is that will allow it to start.

But after all that, even if it starts, I am assuming I need to get it tuned.

Oh, BTW, I don't have HPtuners access.

Potential Tuner
    sounds like u have a fuel problem

Tuner
    yea u have a fuel problem. what pump and fuel setup u running? A check valve will help. Just had to install one on my buddies l83 swapped c10. In the tune u can change your pump prime seconds to help pressure build up. Can u hear the pump prime up with just key switch on without cranking? should try and prime up for like 2-3 seconds thin shut off. Sometimes with aftermarket fuel pumps its best to try and prime at first until pump cuts off thin turn off key switch thin prime a second time and crank. should fire right up. A lot of ls swaps ive dealt with have this issue and the second prime and crank always works.

It will for sure need tuning. But reading back over what u said, u stated u built 70psi at first. That's pretty high! normal ls engines run around 55-60psi. Unless your turbo or something.
    Last edited by brandon6.0; 01-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    2000 silverado rcsb lq4/4l80e. Custom s480 turbo setup. 93oct meth injected. SD Tuned by me.

2007 tbss ls2/4l80e. Nitrous!!! MAF Only Tuned by me.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon6.0 View Post
    yea u have a fuel problem. what pump and fuel setup u running? A check valve will help. Just had to install one on my buddies l83 swapped c10. In the tune u can change your pump prime seconds to help pressure build up. Can u hear the pump prime up with just key switch on without cranking? should try and prime up for like 2-3 seconds thin shut off. Sometimes with aftermarket fuel pumps its best to try and prime at first until pump cuts off thin turn off key switch thin prime a second time and crank. should fire right up. A lot of ls swaps ive dealt with have this issue and the second prime and crank always works.

It will for sure need tuning. But reading back over what u said, u stated u built 70psi at first. That's pretty high! normal ls engines run around 55-60psi. Unless your turbo or something.
    I have a check valve ordered. I plan to put it on the engine side of the fuel filter/regulator.

I did in fact try the multiple ign on idea. It does pump up for about 2 seconds. Interestingly, it will not turn on the pump that soon. But, the pressure drops so fast, I'm not sure it would help. I think the check valve is necessary. Some folks I' ve been speaking with on another forum (my build thread) think I should fix whatever is the problem inside the tank. Oh, well, this is a tune forum...I won't bore you with all that info.

BTW...I have since recorded a video. The first few seconds, showing a countdown, was originally an audio recording I did by setting my phone against the fuel tank. You hear the pump, then hear a hiss...like pressure bleeding off. The video then goes to cranking the engine. You see the initial pressure on the switch turn-on, then immediate pressure drop; then cranking and no pressure; cranking stops and the pump runs just for a second and builds about 40# then drops off. The other noise you hear in the video at the end is not the fuel pump. It is an electric power brake pump.

I just looked at the video again. Looks like the initial pressure is going to 60. It drops real fast.

It is interesting to hear lots of people have this problem with LS conversions. I'm not sure why mine won't do the second prime, until after turning the ign on /off 3-4 times. It's like 'it knows' it just primed

BTW...I do need to plan on a tune after I get the fuel problem fixed. I'm sure the Silverado one is not that good for this LS3/430.
    Last edited by 56_kruiser; 01-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Tuner
    yea at this point I would drop the tank and check things out. your intank feed line off the pump could be cracked or loose. Most guys have the regulator near the firewall which makes pressure bleed down take a lil longer because the return line is longer. With the regulator being closer to that tank bleed down could happin quicker. I would try the check valve first if that don't fix it thin drop tank. What pump u using? and regulator?

Clean swap by the way!!
    2000 silverado rcsb lq4/4l80e. Custom s480 turbo setup. 93oct meth injected. SD Tuned by me.

Potential Tuner
    yea at this point I would drop the tank and check things out. your intank feed line off the pump could be cracked or loose. Most guys have the regulator near the firewall which makes pressure bleed down take a lil longer because the return line is longer. With the regulator being closer to that tank bleed down could happin quicker. I would try the check valve first if that don't fix it thin drop tank. What pump u using? and regulator?

Clean swap by the way!!
    I've been talked into dropping the tank and checking the pump/line inside. I'm thinking it not necessary, but, oh well.

I'm using a Walbro SS340 pump (I tried to include a link but the forum will not allow me to do that. Strange...it even has the icon to put in links). I asked about who they purchase from as I was concerned it might be one of those knockoffs. But they buy direct from Walbro in large qtys.

Potential Tuner
    Well, I'm hearing different things. So I have located a guy that could come by with HP Tuners. But here is what he told me:

You need to call the place that did your initial tune and have them email you a correct file for the tune it should have. It doesn't make any sense that they couldn't tune it due to being a 4L60. You can set what transmission in HP Tuners. I could be messing with this in trial and error for quite a while.
    So I just got off the phone with PSI, the company I got the wiring, PCM and tune from. He said:

No. You need to get it dino tuned, where they put it on the big rollers and tune it while driving it on the rollers. And you can't just choose a transmission. The software is based on a VIN (of course I have no VIN associated with this) and the engines are matched to transmissions. The 2008 Silverado is the base that will get you going, then you dino tune it for best performance.
    [sigh][/sigh]

I don't know if there is a dino within a thousand miles. (Given that Daytona is down the road, I suspect there is somewhere).

At this point, I just need to get it running. But not sure what to think about getting it tuned, or if any place around to do it.

Tuner
    Tampa tuning in tampa. Heard hes pretty good. But u don't need no dyno to tune a vehicle. yes it would help but its not needed. It can be street tuned as well. All my stuff is street tuned.

your harness should have separate PCM and TCM with separate OS. if so u need a TCM for a 4l65e. That thing definitely needs an 80e. The 60e trans are junk!

With your setup being an ls3 platform as long as u have a ls3 stock tune file to start with u shouldn't have any issues. Doesn't matter if its a 2008. The TCM does need to match the trans tho. I think u can look up a TCM for your OS system and swap the TCM calibration only. Some of the better tuners will know more.
    Last edited by brandon6.0; 01-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Tampa tuning in tampa. Heard hes pretty good. But u don't need no dyno to tune a vehicle. yes it would help but its not needed. It can be street tuned as well. All my stuff is street tuned.

your harness should have separate PCM and TCM with separate OS. if so u need a TCM for a 4l65e. That thing definitely needs an 80e. The 60e trans are junk!

With your setup being an ls3 platform as long as u have a ls3 stock tune file to start with u shouldn't have any issues. Doesn't matter if its a 2008. The TCM does need to match the trans tho. I think u can look up a TCM for your OS system and swap the TCM calibration only. Some of the better tuners will know more.
    Thanks Brandon. That is in align with what I"m finally coming to understand.

So, I do have the separate TCM. My understanding is that the PCM is tuned to a 2008 Silverado which I understand would be an L76 6.0. My LS3 430hp is a 6.2. I understand that my engine really should be tuned from, say, a 2008 Camaro LS3 base.

My understanding is that if the TCM is already programed for my 4L65e, it's fine and I can continue on. The local fella tells me it would be easiest to get 'the file for the 6.2', so he can just load it.

Except for where I purchased the stuff (PSI Conversions), I'm told I do not 'need' a Dino Tune.

One thing that has caused some of the confusion is that it's not starting is what caused the PSI rep to check my tune, and assume that was why it wasn't starting. But turns it it is fuel problem. I should note that fuel pressure was the first thing he asked about, and I told him I had a pressure gauge on the way. But upon his inspection of what they used to tune with, he was thinking I need a tune.

I am becoming of the opinion that PSI tunes everything to a 2008 Silverado, and that they don't have a Camaro file. I plan to call there Monday, and talk to someone else, and see if I can get them to send me a 6.2 file.

I am assuming the car will run fine as is once I get the fuel pressure problem resolved, but it may not be optimal for the engine I have.

Tuner
    yea the engine should run fine with the correct fuel pressure. Your tuner should be able to go into the tune repository and pull a stock 08 6.2 file. Thin upload that into yours. Shouldn't have any issues doing that. But even with having the 6.0 tune file currently, the engine should still run fine. I see no issues with having a 6.0 file already.

EFI alchemy is in Green Cove Springs but fixing the fueling issue first is probably most of you problem. Me personally i am curious if the VATS is not deleted. I would remove computer control of fuel pump and just have it running and try to start it if it starts then immediately shuts off the vats is still enabled and i am amazed they sold you the setup that way. Let us know

e67 or e38 has separate trans computer correct so I would assume he needs the trans controller for a 4l60(5) whatever it is correct?