Thread: Beginner questions before I buy

Potential Tuner

Beginner questions before I buy

I'm new! First post.

Looking for advice before I purchase HPT.

Here's my situation-- I have (6) 2002-2006 5.3 and 6.0 complete take outs with harness/computer/accessories/trans(4l60e and 4l80e) complete. Not planning on doing any custom tunes for now-- just stock computers until I learn how at a later time. Would like to get at least a few stock swaps done first. I am swapping these engines into mostly older Chevy trucks and cars. (1960s)
    I am paying a tuner $150 each to delete VATS and emissions so I can do the swaps. Modifying the harnesses ourselves.

My questions are--

Should I invest in HPT Standard or Pro and do the deletes myself? (I believe I am capable to learn)
    Are credits (and how many) used to do these deletes only?
    About how many stock swaps will I do to make the HPT investment worth it? 3? 6? more? Not including any future custom tuning, although I hope to later on.

Trying to decide if I should buy HPT and do it myself or just continue paying my tuner guy $150 each swap I do.

I appreciate any and all input!!!
    THX!

I would buy it, it's worth your time if you want to put it towards learning. Depending on how deep you wish to go with tuning in the furture can determine which one to buy. The standard interface will do just fine for you and most others. The pro is better if you have extra outputs like wideband sensors, pressure sensors and want data logging without your laptop on you. Though the Pro is still nice for when you do start using a wideband for fuel tuning, makes it a easier to setup.

If you bought the HPT with 8 GM credits, you'd get 4 vehicles you could tune right away. Each of those truck computers takes 2 credits each and once you have a license for them you can tune each computer an unlimited amount of times. Keep each computer in it's own folder of course so you don't mix them up.

Once your credits are gone each following computer is 2 credits again and costs you only $50 per credits or $100 per vehicle. If you do end up doing several more engine swaps you'll save $50 each time.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you SFPD!
    Can I use Pro without wideband for now and and purchase that later when I need it?

yes you can use the pro with out a wideband sensor and add it on later on.

Senior Tuner
    Pro is the way to go. Analog data output on widebands is so much faster than serial and only the pro version supports analog.

Your credits won't transfer so if you decide to go to pro later on you will lose the progress you have made towards the unlimited licenses... Or lose the unlimited if you have it.

Lose it might not be the best wording but it would only exist on the standard version.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Pro is the way to go. Analog data output on widebands is so much faster than serial and only the pro version supports analog.

Your credits won't transfer so if you decide to go to pro later on you will lose the progress you have made towards the unlimited licenses... Or lose the unlimited if you have it.

Lose it might not be the best wording but it would only exist on the standard version.

You can upgrade your standard to pro and transfer your credits over to the new pro. It requires you to mail your standard to HPT and pay the upgrade fee. I just did one 2 weeks ago.

Senior Tuner
    That's awesome. Never mind what I said then. I have always just read where credits can't be transferred but I guess that's just if you don't have the old one to turn in to them.

Potential Tuner
    Thx Guys-- I ordered and received Pro (from Summit because I had a $50 coupon).

Going to buy a inexpensive new laptop dedicated to HPT tomorrow--- any recommendations?

First two 'jobs' for the HPT this week are---

5.3L/4l60e swapped into a 1965 C10 but computer doesn't seem to communicate with gas pedal. All parts from donor vehicle. Had VATS delete done by local tuner. Hope to use HPT to double checks that VATS are deleted correctly, and diagnose issue with throttle pedal. Engine will start and run for a couple seconds and die.

Second 'job' is another 5.3/4l60e swapped into a 1968 C10 panel truck. Swap is done except I haven't deleted VATS yet. Hope to delete VATS and emissions on this one myself with my new HPT and get it running also.

Any tips or tricks or advice offered is much appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    Take your time and do it right. it's a steep learning curve having acess to all these parameters once you build some level of comfort things will start to come easy. in order to tune correctly you need to have the scanner setup according. Any real tuner will tell you the scanner is just as important as the editor.

Senior Tuner
    The scanner will be very useful in diagnosing things also. For example, you might find on the engine dying problem that your MAP sensor isn't working correctly by watching the data on the scanner.

Potential Tuner
    Bought a dedicated HP Laptop for HPT at the shop today. Hope to have time to plug in the tuner and check it out!

Potential Tuner
    I am a computer/tuning GENIOUS!!! LOL (it was super easy)

So I was able to VATs and emissions delete my first swap and she RUNS!!! Although simple and easy, I am a little nervous about all this "new" info going into my brain! lol Feeling accomplished in my first baby step.

BUT... The computer for this swap is one I had flashed by someone else (in the business of flashing). The truck never started on his flash, and when I read it, it showed the VATs as 'serial'. I think it should have been set to 'none'. This computer is locked so I cant flash it unless I spend my credits (may have to) or take it back to the guy who flashed it for a redo (not gonna happen).
    I have my 2nd swap truck sitting here with the exact same set up. So I spent credits and flashed this computer---- VATs set to 'none'.
    Started right up! Can I assume he didn't have VATs deleted on 1st computer since it wouldn't run, and it read as 'serial' ??

Ok- back to truck- started with 2nd computer- I still have a throttle pedal problem. No value 0% shown on scanner. Computer doesn't seem to be communicating with pedal. Pedal is not responsive. I am thinking I have it wired incorrectly, or there is supposed to be a jumper wire somewhere, or maybe something I am missing. I know I will get it, just haven't figured out the problem yet.
    Any ideas are appreciated!

I will leave 2nd computer (that I flashed) on truck number one and figure out pedal problem
    I will use 1st computer (that other guy flashed) on truck number 2. I will spend credits to re-flash this computer if I have to to get it to run.

THANKS!