Thread: E78-A VCM with Direct Injection

Advanced Tuner

E78-A VCM with Direct Injection

Has anyone looked at these yet? I'm pulling down a Wiring Diagram so I can see, physically, where they are controlling the DI circuitry. There doesn't appear to be a LOT of extra unused circuitry in the E78.
    These are used in the 2nd generation Chevy Cruze with the Aluminum 1.4 Turbo engine.
    IF, I ever get my 2015 Trax 1.4T working I may try one of the E78-As.

Tuner in Training
    the 2015 trax 1.4 is not di, so the E78 will work for you. Steve
    Last edited by EFIHARNESS; 12-23-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS View Post
    the 2015 trax 1.4 is not di, so the E78 will work for you. Steve
    \\
    I tend to condense things too much.

My statement was meant to find out if anyone had looked at the E78-A wiring diagrams to see if the Direct Injector driver signal wires exited the E78-A connectors on the same pins as the E78. If they did, then an assumption could be made the circuitry inside had just been beefed up to supply more current.

That's ASSUMING a DI injector needs more current to open under more fuel pump pressure.

I'm tracking down a 2017 Gen II Cruze diagram to compare to my 2011, 2012 Cruze and 2015 Trax diagrams.
    I am a glutton for punishment.
    I don't really NEED to know this now, but maybe someday I will.

I'm still trying to figure out what is different, if anything, about a 2011 Cruze and a 2012 Cruze E78 ECM. Hollander says they are not interchangeable.

Tuner in Training
    The Di injection system is completely different than a regular injector. It requires high voltage (60-100+ volts) so it is not a case of just bumping up current. The E78, 78A do not have the high voltage required for DI. Gm/Delphi also sells a DI driver box to Hyundai for use on their DI engines. We have used these to run DI engines with conventional ecu's. Steve
    Last edited by EFIHARNESS; 12-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS View Post
    The Di injection system is completely different than a regular injector. It requires high voltage (60-100+ volts) so it is not a case of just bumping up current. The E78, 78A do not have the high voltage required for DI. Gm/Delphi also sells a DI driver box to Hyundai for use on their DI engines. We have used these to run DI engines with conventional ecu's. Steve
    So, is there an additional box goes along with the E78-A?

Never mind the wiring diagram should print out here any minute.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    So, is there an additional box goes along with the E78-A?

Never mind the wiring diagram should print out here any minute.
    OK, I finally got the E78-A diagram to print. There are MANY differences in pin layout. The Direct Injector are dirven out of the same connector, but way different pins. Much new circuitry in side.

So how does that all affect the HPT tables in the VCM Suite?

Anyone played with the 1.4T Aluminum engine tune?
    It's GM engine code (M) I believe.
    It's my WAG this is an all new engine, Bigger on the out side too.
    I have an acquaintance building one of the M engines for racing, but they are using an aftermarket ECM. That's all I know about the project. The M project has much more funding that I will ever have.