Thread: Are 5th gen V6 camaros prone to false Knock?

Are 5th gen V6 camaros prone to false Knock?

I've been using HPT for going on 11 years and this is the first V6 I've actually attempted to tune. The car I'm working on has a LOT of KR even at easy driving situations, is this common? I'm working on a 2011 Camaro btw. KR LOG.hpl
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

from personal experience YES, my 2010 was over advanced from the factory took a few degrees away and much better. also look at your fueling if thats off too much it will create knock in the lower rpm/load areas 1500-3000 rpm that is where most of mine was. these bosch ECU are not easy to tackle..but tune very similar to the LNF and there is great info on here to learn from..

just looked at the log send me a pm some thing i need to point out

Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
    from personal experience YES, my 2010 was over advanced from the factory took a few degrees away and much better. also look at your fueling if thats off too much it will create knock in the lower rpm/load areas 1500-3000 rpm that is where most of mine was. these bosch ECU are not easy to tackle..but tune very similar to the LNF and there is great info on here to learn from..
    Thanks for the info, to be totally honest I have questions about the timing. Under main spark advance would I retard all 4 tables or just the max? Looks like optimum spark is for just torque calculations. I'm lost when it comes to a v6 & multiple cams lol.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Senior Tuner
    depends on the miles and the valve coking. coking kills the gdi engines. some take more timing, some take less. i have seen variations of all of them in the ones i have done.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    depends on the miles and the valve coking. coking kills the gdi engines. some take more timing, some take less. i have seen variations of all of them in the ones i have done.
    Didn't know about the coking issue but it makes sense. He's running a catch can but I will recommend having some top end cleaner ran through it, thanks for the info.

Senior Tuner
    the best way to take care of the issue is to walnut shell blast the ports. i see a lot of 3.6's cars falling to the wayside due to this issue.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    the best way to take care of the issue is to walnut shell blast the ports. i see a lot of 3.6's cars falling to the wayside due to this issue.
    Thanks I'm sure that's the only real way to get it completely clean but I'm sure I won't be able to talk him into doing it right. I'm sure that top end cleaner can only do so much.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
    just looked at the log send me a pm some thing i need to point out
    what wer eyou wanting to point out bc im having a lot of issues on tuning a V6 camaro also
    2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 6 Speed
    FAST 102 Ported, NW 120 TB, Ported Heads, LG G6X3 Cam, Vararam CAI, Catless Full Exhaust.