Thread: E38 CAN issues after manual conversion???????

E38 CAN issues after manual conversion???????

Morning guys

I have a issue with a 2007 holden commodore, We have worked on the vehicle previously.
    The car was originally a v6 version sv6, and had a L98 conversion with OTR, full exhaust, Large cam etc.
    We tuned the car and the everything went perfect.
    The owner has since had a auto to manual conversion, which was carried out buy another shop, it was towed to us to get retuned.
    I have flashed in a complete v8 manual OS into the vehicle and carried out changes to tune to get it running good.
    The issue im having is the scanner drops out after 5-10 seconds of running, so i cant data log.
    I also get a "ABS" light and numerous CAN-BUS com codes, If i attempt to connect to any module with a scan tool it wont
    connect unless i cycle the ignition, its like the connection times out?????
    Its like something is crashing the CAN-BUS
    I have an "invalid vin match" code inside the ABS module. I cannot use the Vin wizard to change the vin to match the Pcm vin
    with the vehicles other modules as the pcm recognises it as an incorrect (previously V6 OS now V8)
    But i assume this should not be an issue as the PCM has always had a different vin as the body modules.
    When they have done the conversion they have replaced the ABS module as part of the conversion kit and apparently programmed.
    Just wondered if anyone has done a conversion or has any ideas what the issue could be.
    I wana check all my side of things before i send it back to the dealer.
    Thanks in advance

What did you do with the TCM? The CAN network should have been rewired to delete the TCM
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Hi, it looks like that you will have no power in the ECU and some other modules like ABS unless you plug the TCM in. We did the same thing with GMC sieera 5.3 Eng and we could not communicate with the ECU, after so many checks we are almost sure today that no power will be available in ECU if TCM missing. We will have the TCM in place and we will update you what is the result.

In the transmission connector, jump out the CAN wiring. You'll see two twisted pairs with the same color combo (usually tan and tan/black). Tan goes to tan and tan/black goes to tan/black.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Hi,
    I get the TCM in place and the ecu working fine. But the engine wont crank.

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay, have been on holiday for the last two weeks.
    All the mechanical work/wiring was done by another shop. Im guna get back on the car today to see if i can track down the issue.
    Thanks for all the advice.

The shop has replaced the complete wiring harness with a manual harness

Advanced Tuner
    System>General, disable starter diag and clutch interlock.

HP OS>General, disable starter check. (you will have to do a full write for this to take effect)

I would recommend wiring up some sort of neutral safety switch. I used a micro switch on the shifter to break the ground to the starer relay.

I don't see why you had to replace your entire harness, you could have just bypassed your TCM CAN bus wires and been good to go on communication. Check continuity from the ECM pins to CAN bus pins on your ABS module, and BCM pins to diagnostic port + and -. Sounds like that was your main issue to begin with, still having same issue with manual harness? I would double check fuses, and really checkout that TCM wiring. Make sure you don't have your - and + crossed up.
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Quote Originally Posted by JHPerformance View Post
    I don't see why you had to replace your entire harness, you could have just bypassed your TCM CAN bus wires and been good to go on communication. Check continuity from the ECM pins to CAN bus pins on your ABS module, and BCM pins to diagnostic port + and -. Sounds like that was your main issue to begin with, still having same issue with manual harness? I would double check fuses, and really checkout that TCM wiring. Make sure you don't have your - and + crossed up.
    The complete conversion was carried out by another shop. We only have it here for tuning as it has a large camshaft etc
    I cant tune it tho as the CAN issue im having is dropping the scanner out every time i attempt to datalog
    Hopefully have another look at it today at some stage.

Yea if we carried out the conversion we would have just bypassed the TCM.
    Also have never done a auto to man conversion and needed to replace ABS module, I assume there is
    a difference between them factory?
    I have the original (auto) ABS module here so will try it today and see how my coms are.
    Also spend some time on the wiring.

Advanced Tuner
    changing the harness was the correct thing to do. it just simplifies everything and literally makes it plug & play.

Any problems your having would more than likely be due to the v6 to v8 swap. I would guess it's someone else on the can network not liking the responses it's getting from the e38.

for future reference - easier/safer to just modify the existing harness.... ABS off and TCS off lights on are because of config going from auto to manual... the cluster is looking for the TCM , cant see it so brings the lights on... at the same time the ABS unit is programmed for an auto and cant find it so brings light on as well... Best/easiest way is to get the ABS reflashed as a compatible manual and then the VIN changed back to the auto vin (to match the whole car) along with the cluster being configured to manual as well...

if the lights persist then they would have been on prior to the auto to manual conversion (mostly caused by the V6 to V8 conversion)...

oh also make sure you have a manual compatible tune file to "write entire" into the ecu - AFTER YOU HAVE READ OUT THE OLD FILE AND SAVED SOMEWHERE
    -----------------------------
    Ultimate Conversion Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledip View Post
    for future reference - easier/safer to just modify the existing harness.... ABS off and TCS off lights on are because of config going from auto to manual... the cluster is looking for the TCM , cant see it so brings the lights on... at the same time the ABS unit is programmed for an auto and cant find it so brings light on as well... Best/easiest way is to get the ABS reflashed as a compatible manual and then the VIN changed back to the auto vin (to match the whole car) along with the cluster being configured to manual as well...

if the lights persist then they would have been on prior to the auto to manual conversion (mostly caused by the V6 to V8 conversion)...

oh also make sure you have a manual compatible tune file to "write entire" into the ecu - AFTER YOU HAVE READ OUT THE OLD FILE AND SAVED SOMEWHERE
    Yea have done a complete rewrite with a manual file, The conversion kit was supplied with a Manual ABS module which has been programmed, so cant see that being
    an issue but agree that the cluster could be trying to find a the trans which could bringing on lights.
    The car has had some other mechanical issues so once there sorted will get back onto it.
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Eperformance View Post
    Yea have done a complete rewrite with a manual file, The conversion kit was supplied with a Manual ABS module which has been programmed, so cant see that being
    an issue but agree that the cluster could be trying to find a the trans which could bringing on lights.
    The car has had some other mechanical issues so once there sorted will get back onto it.
    Thanks for the advice
    If its an ABS unit out of another manual car then yes it will be an issue... has the wrong vin in it and will bring the light on in the cluster as well
    -----------------------------
    Ultimate Conversion Wiring