Thread: How many GEN III pcms support Flex Fuel?

How many GEN III pcms support Flex Fuel?

And is anyone preferred over the others?
    I recently found out why you cant put a flex fuel OS on a non flex fuel pcm.
    And want to get the best one to use for a few of my setups and swaps so
    I can run dual fuel with flex sensor without constantly changing the tune.

02 Tahoe... it has a 2 bar upgrade... but works fine for flex fuel with a sensor

So only one?

Advanced Tuner
    The answer to your question is that ALL Gen III PCMs (P01 or P59) support Flex Fuel. However, the question that you actually seem to be asking, is which Gen III Operating Systems support Flex Fuel.

With the P01 (512 Kb PCM) there is only one OS that supports Flex Fuel (12216125 - used only with 2002 L59 or L18 engines).

With the P59 (1 Mb PCM) all OS appear to support Flex Fuel, but the Flex Fuel system is not always active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    The answer to your question is that ALL Gen III PCMs (P01 or P59) support Flex Fuel. However, the question that you actually seem to be asking, is which Gen III Operating Systems support Flex Fuel.

With the P01 (512 Kb PCM) there is only one OS that supports Flex Fuel (12216125 - used only with 2002 L59 or L18 engines).

With the P59 (1 Mb PCM) all OS appear to support Flex Fuel, but the Flex Fuel system is not always active.
    Glad you mentioned this. Yes i was thinking p59 controller. And no the p59 not all support it. I put the 04 tahoe flex tune in my pcm. And then my alcohol composition sensor started reading in the scanner.

When we tried to tune it in two different trucks with the same pcm number (2 different pcms) IT did some weird stuff with fueling like what it was telling me what it needed and what it needed was 2 different things.

One truck had e85 and one truck was on pump gas 93 both did the same weird fueling issues. 2 different engines 2 different but same part number pcms same Tahoe flex fuel OS. SO i reverted back to original tune and everything worked fine and responded how it should. But no flex fuel sensor reading so the tune could adjust to what fuel i put into it

After researching i found the tune i was using and i also found another tune a friend sent me which he probably got off the tune repository. I noticed some interesting differences.And for some reason i swore hp tuner told you pcm number. But i guess that is a tunercat/jet thing. I attached the infoflex 1.pngflex 2.png

flex.JPGThis is the tune that works fine in aforementioned pcm

Judging by this post http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ve-IAC-control

I need the 12586243 pcm and 05 avalance tune.

Tuner in Training
    Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use a P59 and a 05 corvette base file to do all that? I have been looking into doing the flex fuel sensor on 2 builds I will be starting very soon. The problem is that I will be needing the 3bar map setup. Plan to run around 28 to 30lbs of boost. Which is why I need the E85 capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by GMjunkie View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use a P59 and a 05 corvette base file to do all that? I have been looking into doing the flex fuel sensor on 2 builds I will be starting very soon. The problem is that I will be needing the 3bar map setup. Plan to run around 28 to 30lbs of boost. Which is why I need the E85 capabilities.
    No idea but good question

What are you running this in? My understanding is the 05 Express van 5.3 has Flex Fuel support, and has a 3bar SD setup available. This will give you the option of either a 60E or 80E trans control from what I hear. I have not done it yet, but am almost in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by rpturbo View Post
    What are you running this in? My understanding is the 05 Express van 5.3 has Flex Fuel support, and has a 3bar SD setup available. This will give you the option of either a 60E or 80E trans control from what I hear. I have not done it yet, but am almost in the same boat.
    Manual trans so i dont care

one is a swap 1992 s10
    one is a swap that i need all the factory crap to work 2004 1500

I still need to know which pcm and OS

ATM the 12586243 pcm seems to be the best bet

Quote Originally Posted by GMjunkie View Post
    Did you have any luck with this because I havent? I personally get tired of spending a 100 bucks for it not to work. And HP I guess feels this controller is too old to help any one out with it. I know I cant be the only one that wants to do this.

I think i got it i used the 04 tahoe tune in an 04 pcm and it finally reads alcohol content. I had to cheat and use tuner cats because i wasnt wasting another 100 bucks to see it not work. But now that it does i can spend another 100 bucks to 2 bar os this tune. single turbo ls1 in a 92 s10, plus i got 3 other trucks i am going to do this on now that i know it works.