Thread: Controller Unlocker: x36 Exceed Number of Attempts

Tuner in Training

Controller Unlocker: x36 Exceed Number of Attempts

I have a PCM i have been tuning for years with the same tune. Upgraded to 3.4 and somehow bricked my pcm. Swapped to a mew PCM, licensed it and magically was able to read the file on the Pcm and that was the last time any connection was made. Now every time i try to do anything i get a controller unlocker error. This PCM is not locked. I have the tune pulled up and it shows its unlocked under the security tab. Did anyone else have these problems? I have tried all combinations of battery off/disconnected, different settings on the software side. Please help!!

Same problem, any solutions?

Tuner in Training
    I am having this same issue. Does anyone out there have a solution?

Tuning Addict
    Make sure everything is updated including interface and editor version via your customer login page - it's usually an issue with communicating to the vehicle when this happens...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    I will try to update. My snap on scan tool works just fine on the truck.

I have had this issue. Seems the cable supplied by HP tuners has a pin width that is less than some other tools. After other tools are plugged into the port the pins are spread apart enough that they do not make good contact with HP tuners cable. In my case taking needle nose pliers and rotating the pins on the HP Tuners cable about 10 degrees fixed the issue. OF course this is not an HP Tuners recommended fix.

Tuner in Training
    ive updated to the latest and greatest and still same code. I'm surprised someone from HP hasn't commented on this yet. Ive found multiple threads on this with no answers.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    x36 error means the ecm is tunerlocked.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I have had this issue with two different ecu's . both on same engine (changed ecu to troubleshoot) and it happened again earlier on an ecu that I had made several changes to already today and tons to in the past.

actually mine is saying timed out