Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad raw fuel smell at idle...EOIT increasing makes it worse

Bad raw fuel smell at idle...EOIT increasing makes it worse

2 Bar SD, tune attached is what I am using for tuning - so DFCO and closed loop are disabled

I read up on EOIT and how to do it, and used the spreadsheets to get to my numbers. The only problem is, when I increase the values in the Normal EOIT table, the gas smell gets worse - even when I correct the AFR to a lean ratio at idle

I have attached images of my cam card, the EOIT spreadsheet values, a spreadsheet showing how I got the numbers.. I tested the car at 6.22 and at 5.96 (current value) and neither of these values helps with the raw fuel smell

It is so bad that it burns your eyes.

2005 LQ4 w/ 69mm turbo, BOSH 650 CC injectors (I used the provided injector data by Fuel Injector Connection). Cam specs are on the card image below

Anything I am doing wrong?

CamValues.JPG

EOITvalues.JPG

CamCard.JPG

Chevelle2Bar.hpt

Should I be adding the same amount to the "Makeup" table also? I left the makeup table alone

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    first dial in your fuel trims and get to stoich, then work on your delays of eoit. also with those cam specs dont expect that you will not have raw fuel
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Thanks for the response. I got my values to stoich, then started increasing EOIT by .1 and seeing what the new AFR was. According to forum posts, the AFR should get richer, mine kept getting leaner. I think I'm just going to just leave this alone..

Tuning Addict
    Go the other direction. This isn't an exact do this for every cam out there principle. Sometimes advanced injection timing is better than retarded.

Senior Tuner
    yea leave the makeup tables stock only touch the normal, rpm, ect or boundary tables, just see what you're likes if it's going lean one way just do the opposite then once u know where u are u can base any further changes from that

I only have "Normal" and "Makeup" tables in my PCM I believe. Thanks for the replies guys, I will give it a try. I read a post where someone said they subtracted from the Normal values and the car did not like it at all, so I thought it was a bad thing to do so.

Senior Tuner
    yea forgot it was in the gen3 section they work on a slightly different calculation think increasing normal helps, maby around the 6.8 or 7.0 may help but see how it goes in steps and if u stop going rich just keep it there

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    yea forgot it was in the gen3 section they work on a slightly different calculation think increasing normal helps, maby around the 6.8 or 7.0 may help but see how it goes in steps and if u stop going rich just keep it there
    So with Gen3 I shouldn't try decreasing the values? Just increase it majorly? I started in .1 steps from the stock value, and as I increased the value .1 from stock it got leaner immediately - I went all the way up to 5.96 from 5.56 (which is why reducing might make sense, unless this isn't the case for Gen3)

Maybe it I keep continuing the .1 increase it will start going rich (go .1 steps up to 6.5 or 7.0)
    Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 12-16-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Senior Tuner
    the information was put in wrong in the calc. new normal is 5.56 and true normal is 6.16. try 5.86 in the normal field and test when the vehicle is warm. the burning eyes thing is not always raw fuel. you will also need to make sure the fuel trims are within a spec range, keep in mind, if they are, it will change them as the fuel across the sensors have changed.
    Last edited by Area47; 12-16-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    the information was put in wrong in the calc. new normal is 5.56 and true normal is 6.16. try 5.86 in the normal field and test when the vehicle is warm. the burning eyes thing is not always raw fuel. you will also need to make sure the fuel trims are within a spec range, keep in mind, if they are, it will change them as the fuel across the sensors have changed.
    Yup, already tested 5.86 (and 5.66, 5.76, 5.96) wideband goes leaner than it was at 5.56 (everytime I increase it, up to 5.96, it would get leaner). All increases were done at operating temp. I read that a wideband cannot pickup on raw fuel, so it shows it as lean - which means it's prob dumping more fuel out the exhaust valve as I increase the numbers.

Senior Tuner
    what does the fuel trims do when these are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    what does the fuel trims do when these are changed?
    Well, I have fuel trims disabled (LTFT, STFT) as I'm running it Open loop. This is what I notice on the wideband reading

Senior Tuner
    what wideband?

Senior Tuner
    u have "boundary" its set to 6.5 thats what i was meaning to adjust higher, it is a ref period after TDC so increasing it should delay injection, looking at your settings in your tune file in the calculator i have u are ending injection just as the IVO, leave normal at 5.96 and try boundary at between 7.3 to 7.7 the 7.3 will allow for up to 3ms IPW at idle to be after EVC for example give that a go this is using your cam .006 events

I was reading that you should never mess with the boundary, and only change the "normal" table - ever heard that?

u have "boundary" its set to 6.5 thats what i was meaning to adjust higher, it is a ref period after TDC so increasing it should delay injection, looking at your settings in your tune file in the calculator i have u are ending injection just as the IVO, leave normal at 5.96 and try boundary at between 7.3 to 7.7 the 7.3 will allow for up to 3ms IPW at idle to be after EVC for example give that a go this is using your cam .006 events
    I changed the boundary to 7.3 and left normal tables at stock value, car runs a little leaner - but it should be running rich if it corrected the issue

Senior Tuner
    hmmm it is strange maby u are at the best place for eoit and any changes either way make it worse, do u have cats..? going leaner at idle will smell worse too it makes more of the emission smell then a richer mix, have u tried using E10 the ethanol will help a little with the smell

hmmm it is strange maby u are at the best place for eoit and any changes either way make it worse, do u have cats..? going leaner at idle will smell worse too it makes more of the emission smell then a richer mix, have u tried using E10 the ethanol will help a little with the smell
    I don't have cats, but I was also thinking maybe I am at the best spot using stock values- because no matter if I increase or decrease EOIT "Normal" values the car goes lean. Same with messing with the boundary.

I'm going to move my wideband from the downpipe of the turbo to one of the exhaust manifolds. I wonder if there is an exhaust leak that I can't see and is causing weird readings

Tuning Addict
    This is close to what you have right now, but give it a try and see if it makes any difference - don't worry about changing the boundary - it's just one of the tables given to you to work with...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC