Thread: Stock 5.3 turbo logs spark retard. Why?

Tuner in Training

Stock 5.3 turbo logs spark retard. Why?

IS300 5.3 turbo 11DEC2016.hpt
    6th 5.3 driving log.hpl

See attached log and tune. WOT Boost is 13psi, timing is at 12 degrees, AFR is 11.3. All of my logs have SPARK RETARD logged, pulling timing. I've disabled BURST KNOCK. Why is it pulling timing/knocking? I've read these are conservative settings?

853 Heads on a 5.3 iron block with gen IV internals.

It could be false, hard to say for sure.

You could toss some 100 octane in the tank and see if it goes away.

I few things I saw though, change the other two MAF dtc's to fail on first error for SD setups. The VE is rather choppy still and needs more work. The commanded AFR is still rather lean untill you reach over 150kpa. It's pushing into the 12.5-13.0 in that scan from looking at the wideband reading. It's not dropping to 11.3 to 11.4 AFR untill about 160kpa which is pretty good into boost already. The VE could be causing that too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I just added two friends to the car and made a run. I heard audible knock that time with the more weight in the car. I'm running 93 Exxon pump gas right now. I am still working on the VE table actually... I know its ugly! Also, since you mentioned it, I see now the commander AFR is rather lean. It doesn't match my BOOST ENRICHMENT table, which I have set up to command 12.12 AFR on down to 11.3 AFR. The ECU is supposed to use the richer of the PE and BE tables, but apparently its not doing that. Strange... I fixed the MAF DTC's, thanks for that catch too. Ill work on cleaning up the VE table as well as richening up the boosted areas and see if that helps.