Thread: 1998 F-body, running (barely) on P59 PCM something is wrong

Tuner in Training

1998 F-body, running (barely) on P59 PCM something is wrong

As the title states, I have something wrong. The car fires up, throttle response is terrible, sounds like it has a giant cam but its an all stock engine, barely revvs....Wideband goes dead lean...straight to ---. I havent hooked the wideband up to the MPVI yet, also the tach isnt working. I have some error codes which are:

0x10: P0315 - Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0522 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Current)----I know this wont ever work with the P59 pcm.
    0x10: P0654 - Engine RPM Output Circuit (Pending, History)

I tried to swap over as many parameters I could from a stock 1998 file into the 05 Avalanche OS that Im using. Bigmandengo has been helping me along the way, and now we both are stumped.

Here is the tune currently in the car:

Bigmandengo- Trial tune (1.1).hptBigmandengo- Trial tune (1.1) log.hplBigmandengo- Trial tune (1.1).hptBigmandengo- Trial tune (1.1) log.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Why use a P59? Do you know if the P59 you are using has IAC drivers? Would make more sense to use a P1 0411.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Why use a P59? Do you know if the P59 you are using has IAC drivers? Would make more sense to use a P1 0411.
    Yes, the service and hardware # on my PCM indicate that I have IAC drivers. The 0411 PCM cannot do 3bar map AND flex fuel.

None of those codes will cause the engine to run poor.
    Copy the MAF and VE tables from the 98 tune to the new one, then multiply the whole tables by 1.3 and test again.
    If the wideband still reads lean, use the scanner controls to command a richer AFR while scanning. Start with 14.2 then enrich it half a point at a time. The engine should run much better.
    If it doesn't respond to these changes, you have a problem with some cylinders misfiring, a mechanical problem
    or something else that needs to be addressed before messing with the tune
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    None of those codes will cause the engine to run poor.
    Copy the MAF and VE tables from the 98 tune to the new one, then multiply the whole tables by 1.3 and test again.
    If the wideband still reads lean, use the scanner controls to command a richer AFR while scanning. Start with 14.2 then enrich it half a point at a time. The engine should run much better.
    If it doesn't respond to these changes, you have a problem with some cylinders misfiring, a mechanical problem
    or something else that needs to be addressed before messing with the tune
    Ok, I multiplied 1.3 into the entire VE table. Car fired up went to 10.9 AFR, then it slowly went dead lean again. I could hold the RPM to around 2500, and the AFR would go from full lean back to 11ish. then while idling, it would slowly creep dead lean again. Drove around the block and it started staying rich until idling for 20 sec or so and again would go lean. I went back to the base VE numbers and multiplied by 1.1. Car idles better, and no super rich conditions anymore, but it still is dead lean. drove the car around the block again, and tip in it goes to 16ish, then while crusing at 20mph it goes lean. I dont think its a crank sensor, doesnt misfire, doesnt stumble. It obviously showing signs of being super lean, so I didnt beat on the car. I dont know how to use the scanner to command a desired AFR. I will look into that.

Tuner in Training
    it runs, but its still crazy lean. got the WB hooked up

Bigmandengo- Trial tune (1.6).hptBigmandengo- Trial tune (1.6) log.hpl

Force open loop, multiply stock VE table to 1.15, do the same with MAF table. Test the car and tune MAF table using the scanner.
    If you are using a MAF then adjust the AFR in the MAF table, VE changes will have little effect since the MAF is the main fueling table. Check spark plugs for dead or misfiring cylinders.
    After the fueling is tuned start tuning spark. It's a good idea to pull a few degrees from the high octane table until fuel is correct, then add timing as needed.

Be aware that every change you make must have a noticeable effect in engine performance until the fuel is dialed in. The changes must behave in a constant and predictable manner. If you feel you are chasing your tail then you have a mechanical problem.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    still got some tuning to do....but I feel like Im gaining ground and knowledge of HP tuners. I must say, I think megasquirt and other stand alones are easier to tune. Anyway, here is my latest tune and log. I am still doing a MAF fail to try to nail down the VE table. It responded to my adjustments, but still idles leaner than commanded and cruises richer than commanded. cant seem to dial it in. The help from Bigmandengo and you guys here have gotten me this far...which I am very grateful for.

Bigmandengo- Trial tune (2.3) MAF fail-DTC adjustment.hpt

Bigmandengo- Trial tune (2.3) MAF fail.hpt log.hpl