Thread: Colbalt SSTC Torque managment issues

Advanced Tuner

Colbalt SSTC Torque managment issues

Hey guys. Tuning my Aunts stock 09 Turbo Colbalt. Never had this issue (I've always delt with the 411 pcm). I just want to eliminate the torque management to make the car more fun. I did add 2 degrees of timing everywhere as well. I plan on WOT tuning next spring. The car got a lot faster but it hunts for idle, then calms down and it also stumbles in 4th gear when cruising around 35-40. The car is an hour and half from me and when she visit I dont have much time until the spring, so I cant do a step by step until the problem repeats. I only added 2 degrees of timing and messed with torque management.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    did you do anything to the optimum torque tables? that is usually what would cause your hunting issue if you adjusted it as apart of your tm adjustments. leave them stock until you have the time to sit with it for a few days.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I just checked them. I had them set to 100. I just reset them to stock. Wouls also cause the spark retard and stumble when cruising at 40 in 4th gear?

im sorry i meant to say optimum spark tables. these tables require time to get correct. if you make a big change on them it effects air load request, throttle opening rate, boost, ignition lead in rate, and max allowed ignition advanced based on its urgency setting. a severe enough change here can cause big issues. i have seen similar issues when one table is copied to another to make them the same without making some changes to other effected tables.

the Opti Torque is fine that way. if all you touched there was the highest load range then that is all it would be affecting. for stock setups i set 3500 to max rpm to 100 and iterate a value of 98% around 2800 rpm to the 3500 value. once it auto adjusts the vertical range i highlight everything from 60% to max load and smooth entire twice to give me a starting point. most of the time i reach a desired result off that general shift. it becomes more critical when adjusting from aftermarket cams and/or different turbochargers than stock.
    i will try to look into your file tonight.

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome. I appreciate it.

Advanced Tuner
    I have added the stock file as well to compare.

try resetting you optimum spark tables back to stock. Since you dont have a lot of time to dive into them i would suggest you leave them stock and figure the rest out since that is possible. when you have a lot more time come back to them.

if the car solely runs premium like i did then at 3k and 200% load you can command 9* of ignition and ramp it up to roughly 12-13* by 4500 rpm no problem. any higher and the stock setup tends to have a tissy at the gmpp 20psi boost range without diving into those optimum spark and dynamic traction options heavily.

leave the retard settings stock. there is no reason to change them as these are actually quite sensitive to heavy detonations. I lost 2 pistons by running these settings to low and powering through it. Lived and learned i guess.

max airload trq table can be increased. 2700 rpm is roughly 96% / 3500 rpm is 100% and interpolate the values between that horizontally. anything above 3500 is 100%.

trq management injector disable- return this to stock. we found a few years ago this doesnt really impact you since we have more ecu access now than before. we used to limit this as a crutch to missing some tables.

the optimum torque is a no go. return this table to stock. then modify as mentioned in previous post. should look similar to the attached picture.
    opti torque.png

under diagnostics... set both map and boost pressure sensor p0106 and p0236 to max allowed value. (should be something like 512.689999)

set pressure rpm factor to 2.702. this limits boost pressure to 25 psi. stock turbo cant handle more than 24 but this gives you a 1 psi buffer range for protection.

when you get to fueling controls try the attached pe settings as a start. the stock values tend to be a hare lean on the top end and doesnt allow it to come on soon enough for areas under part throttle with raised boost as well. changing this will require a maf recalibration so dont do that until your ready to sit with it and fix the fueling.
    pe enrich.png

i believe most of your problems are coming from the optimum torque table. that being said the optimum spark table may also be causing some issues even though the changes seem minor compared to how i remember the table reacting. try fixing the errors and see how it behaves.
    keep the tables smooth it is very critical. if you have to open the 3d view and make a few hand blends.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks so much for your help! Ill let you know how it goes. It think Ill see the car around xmas time

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post

if the car solely runs premium like i did then at 3k and 200% load you can command 9* of ignition and ramp it up to roughly 12-13* by 4500 rpm no problem. any higher and the stock setup tends to have a tissy at the gmpp 20psi boost range without diving into those optimum spark and dynamic traction options heavily.

max airload trq table can be increased. 2700 rpm is roughly 96% / 3500 rpm is 100% and interpolate the values between that horizontally. anything above 3500 is 100%.
    Which table do I command 9 degrees at? I see 8 tables under spark.

How do I set the max air lod table as you described?

Sorry for all the questions, my Level 1 gm tuning school book doesnt cover any of this. Seems to focus only on v8s

the 4 at the top left are the base ignition maps. adjust one table and copy it to the other 3.

the 4 at the right are optimum spark tables. leave them stock for now. according to your tuning schedule you dont have the time to mess with those particular tables yet.

GM did not produce any books on tuning the Torque Model based ecu's as far as i know.

Max Airload Torque table...its not in the same location as this video since the video used VCM V2.22beta but the table is still setup exactly the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36RYYxwJHY8
    skip to 3:30 for the MALT Table
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 12-04-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I got the timing tables set at 9 at 200% and scaling to 12 at 4.5k. I assume leave the timing after 5k stock.

Sorry, I got the MALT confused with the Desired Air Load table.

Advanced Tuner

i saw that today. it makes a decent starting tune. unfortunately 2011 is when more features were offered for us and it is now out of date.

yes stock 12* ignition would be fine up there. at 24 psi most cars stop taking advance around 14* on pump gas. (generally) 12* is fine until you decide to focus on it.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea, I was looking for more a of light tune on stock boost.

I may have a few days with the car. Would the tune out line in that link be a good place to start if I were to log with my wide band and make sure everything is good?

i wouldnt follow it only because you need to go step by step and this is going to force you to make a bunch of adjustments all at once.
    your best option is to go table by table learning the ecu first then attack it hard when your comfortable.

1) disable traciton
    2) correct fueling
    3) optimize base ignition
    ** see how you like it after those 3 steps.
    if you want more
    4) raise boost to 20psi and re-correct fuel and ignition.
    ** see how you like it again.
    anything after this will your really leaning on your setup and it will most likely require you to just about re-calibrate the entire ecu