Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the ecu to a differant year

Changing the ecu to a differant year

I have a 1998 corvette that is twin turbocharged. I bricked the 98 ecu flashing it. I have read about re-penning the harness and going to a 2002 ecu. How can i keep my old vin number, and what is involved in the software side of the swap. Where is the mileage for the car kept? If i cant change the vin will the bcm work with a different vin
    Last edited by gearheadib; 11-30-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Swapping to the "0411" PCM is very common and totally worth it. I am doing the swap on a friends old Blazer in about a week. Re-pinning the connectors is pretty easy. There is a guy around here who is very well known for helping everybody with their 0411 swap pinouts and details. I am not sure if he wants me to pass on his contact info so I wrote to him to ask first. I expect that within a day he will say yes. He is a great guy and knows everything you need to know before doing this. I hope to be passing you his contact details soon.

Sorry for the delay there. The friend I was referring to was not sure about the Vette PCM swap. He thinks you want have an issue with the BCM but is not sure.

I have done a swap on a W-body, going from 3100 to 3400 where the specific model never had the 3400 option. I also ended up with a minivan trans on that swap which has lower gears. I did not have HPTuners at the time so I just used GMs SPS to flash the original PCM with the minivan OS. Everything but the airbags worked. The BCM was never very happy that it was now dealing with a minivan system even though I went through the introduction process with my Tech2. It is possible that the engineering of the VETTE system will be able to handle the swap. One thing is for sure, VETTE forums will suggest this PCM swap if it is beneficial. I sold my last VETTE 11 years ago so I don't keep up on them anymore.

I know for a fact that the newer GMs have the mileage both in the PCM and the IPM...but it is possible to adjust the one to match the other upon replacement. I am pretty sure that going back to 2001 or 2002 this is still possible.

If you need any help with the pin-outs I can look them up. Just say so. Good luck

Tuner in Training
    I have swapped ECUs between my 1999 Silverado and 2002 Sierra with no issue, both cars worked fine on either ECU (both were drive by cable though). Mileage is not in the ECU for the trucks

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Sorry for the delay there. The friend I was referring to was not sure about the Vette PCM swap. He thinks you want have an issue with the BCM but is not sure.

I have done a swap on a W-body, going from 3100 to 3400 where the specific model never had the 3400 option. I also ended up with a minivan trans on that swap which has lower gears. I did not have HPTuners at the time so I just used GMs SPS to flash the original PCM with the minivan OS. Everything but the airbags worked. The BCM was never very happy that it was now dealing with a minivan system even though I went through the introduction process with my Tech2. It is possible that the engineering of the VETTE system will be able to handle the swap. One thing is for sure, VETTE forums will suggest this PCM swap if it is beneficial. I sold my last VETTE 11 years ago so I don't keep up on them anymore.

I know for a fact that the newer GMs have the mileage both in the PCM and the IPM...but it is possible to adjust the one to match the other upon replacement. I am pretty sure that going back to 2001 or 2002 this is still possible.

If you need any help with the pin-outs I can look them up. Just say so. Good luck

I think its the ecm A cooling fan came on in the middle of a write and then i got a write error, with the P0601 dic.

I am sure you already read all of the options and tried this but...have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while then reflashing it? I just had one mess up during a flash the other day. It was my first time going through that. It would not start, would not connect with HPTuners, would not connect with GMs SPS system for a fresh flash... After a battery disconnect all was fine. It took the next flash and works great now.

Maybe upgrading to the newer PCM is not really needed. Well it does function at roughly twice the speed and offer better VE tuning... AND... it is totally possible. Just found this:
    http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-corvette.html
    Apparently you will just need to turn off some evap codes that Vettes did not have until later but your can leave your 1998 codes functional if you like. There may be a few other little details but if you are running a pair of turbos this upgrade could be TOTALLY WORTH IT. Enjoy!

I am sure you already read all of the options and tried this but...have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while then reflashing it? I just had one mess up during a flash the other day. It was my first time going through that. It would not start, would not connect with HPTuners, would not connect with GMs SPS system for a fresh flash... After a battery disconnect all was fine. It took the next flash and works great now.

Maybe upgrading to the newer PCM is not really needed. Well it does function at roughly twice the speed and offer better VE tuning... AND... it is totally possible. Just found this:
    http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-corvette.html
    Apparently you will just need to turn off some evap codes that Vettes did not have until later but your can leave your 1998 codes functional if you like. There may be a few other little details but if you are running a pair of turbos this upgrade could be TOTALLY WORTH IT. Enjoy!
    My one big question is about the vin. The ecm i get will be a remaned unit it will have a vin in it. Do use that vin, or can i change it back to the 1998 vin from my car? will HpTuners work with a 1998 vin in a 2002 ecm?

Last week I used a Tech2 to change the VIN on one of my cars that I recently changed the PCM on. If I remember right...there were mismatch codes as the VIN in the BCM was different. If you can write your VIN to the PCM...it should not be done until after all of the tuning...as I am pretty sure that HPTuners orient to the vehicle based on VIN. As far as I can tell you will need to license the VIN that the PCM comes with and do all of the tuning on that VIN....then if you need to (in order to pass emissions) you can probably write your VIN to the PCM with a Tech2. If you don't need to pass emission inspection you might just write the PCM's VIN to the BCM to keep from seeing the "service vehicle soon" light.

Last week I used a Tech2 to change the VIN on one of my cars that I recently changed the PCM on. If I remember right...there were mismatch codes as the VIN in the BCM was different. If you can write your VIN to the PCM...it should not be done until after all of the tuning...as I am pretty sure that HPTuners orient to the vehicle based on VIN. As far as I can tell you will need to license the VIN that the PCM comes with and do all of the tuning on that VIN....then if you need to (in order to pass emissions) you can probably write your VIN to the PCM with a Tech2. If you don't need to pass emission inspection you might just write the PCM's VIN to the BCM to keep from seeing the "service vehicle soon" light.
    There or no emission test where i live so im good there. So how do i write the new vin to the bcm? I have a friend with a flash tool i can reflash a pcm from Gm's service website with, but its not a tech 2.

Well if you flash it through SPS you end up with the operating system that came with the VIN...which won't work for you. If there is no Tech2 GM has a Tech2win program that simulates a Tech2 on a computer and has almost all of the functionality. It is designed to be used with their MDI but it works fine with good flash tools like the Mongoose GM. There are a few Tech2 functions not allowed through it but I think it can write a different VIN to your BCM. By the way, changing the VIN in the BCM was one of those less important details. Everything worked without doing that...it was just a matter of clean-up.

Well if you flash it through SPS you end up with the operating system that came with the VIN...which won't work for you. If there is no Tech2 GM has a Tech2win program that simulates a Tech2 on a computer and has almost all of the functionality. It is designed to be used with their MDI but it works fine with good flash tools like the Mongoose GM. There are a few Tech2 functions not allowed through it but I think it can write a different VIN to your BCM. By the way, changing the VIN in the BCM was one of those less important details. Everything worked without doing that...it was just a matter of clean-up.
    Can I generate a vin? Something like mine but with the year changed?

One way or another you will have to flash the new PCM with a similar system just to have a starting point. Generate a VIN? Nope. GM's flash will be based on the operating system that came with that VIN from the factory. You can always search ebay or ... for a car with similar options/transmission and flash that VIN (and operating system) to the PCM. Your friend with the flash tool and GM's service site (SPS) can do that for you.

That is basically what I did in the old days when I did not have HPTuners and a friend put a manual trans where the factory had an automatic....makes for strange coast-down RPM. I just found a same year pick-up with the same engine/trans as he now has and flashed that VIN to it. Of course that was in a non-emission area... Worked great!

One way or another you will have to flash the new PCM with a similar system just to have a starting point. Generate a VIN? Nope. GM's flash will be based on the operating system that came with that VIN from the factory. You can always search ebay or ... for a car with similar options/transmission and flash that VIN (and operating system) to the PCM. Your friend with the flash tool and GM's service site (SPS) can do that for you.

That is basically what I did in the old days when I did not have HPTuners and a friend put a manual trans where the factory had an automatic....makes for strange coast-down RPM. I just found a same year pick-up with the same engine/trans as he now has and flashed that VIN to it. Of course that was in a non-emission area... Worked great!
    A few months back i bricked the ecm on my 2004 h2 hummer so I grabbed a remanded ECM at the auto parts store. When i used the flash tool borrowed from my buddy, going though GM's SPS web based system there was a option to change the VIN that was on the new ECM To the VIN of my H2 I did this and worked fine. I even got a number wrong and flashed with a 2006 operating system, anyway i found my mistake and changed the number two make it a 2004 and reflashed it and its running great now. why can i not do the same the when my vette change the digit that makes a 1998 to one that makes it a 2002 and keep the rest of my old vin the same?

That is great that it happened to work on the H2 (some of the later numbers don't mean much) but you would be taking a major risk doing it on your Vette on purpose. You need to research exactly what options are on the vehicle that's VIN is being flashed into it. If you really want your VIN to look almost identical to your original... you could make up a VIN the way you are suggesting and run it through decodethis.com or better yet one of the many GM parts sites to see what options the made up VIN has. If GM never made a car with that VIN SPS won't be able to give you anything. The options tag that is usually in the glove box of a truck or on the under side of a spare tire cover or under the trunk lid lists numerous other options....some of which are important for a PCM. You can do some VIN research online and quickly see which digits will be inflexible and which ones might be flexible. At least back in 2002 there was not that many variables. Here are the digits you have to use for a 2002 LS1 Coupe: 1G1YY22G?2???????. You can try putting your 9th (check digit), 11th (color), 12th,,,,(sequence) numbers and run it through a site like I mentioned but you may still be rolling the dice as compared to finding one that definitely has your trans, gears, options, etc.

HPTuners does not give us total control over all facets of the PCM. There is quite a bit that we don't have access to and probably never should...so getting the closest calibration possible from GM can put you a lot closer to where you need to go tuning wise.

Good luck!

OK so i think i have this. So I was worried about getting a remaned ECM with a vin from like a mini van or a truck and getting stuck with that O/S when i flash it from GM's SPS. The Vin really doesn't have to be close to the old 1998 one as much as it needs to be from a 2002 corvette to get a flash that is close to what i need. So all i need is a vin number to enter in SPS that is from a 2002 corvette coup. Enter the tune Repository found a stock 2002 corvette tune downloaded it and bingo a vin number. will try this in a day or two after i re pin it.

Just in case you have not purchased the PCM yet, lsx-solutions on ebay sold me the exact PCM you are looking for a few months ago for a friend's swap I did. His price was too low AND..............I messaged him with the VIN I needed in it and he went ahead and flashed it for FREE! I would have been more than happy to pay him some for that because every time I have to update a GM I have to open a 2-day SPS account for $55 plus tax. I offered to pay but he flashed it to the provided VIN and even through in the connectors! I am not offering that he will do that every time....just saying that he made me an unreasonably good deal and I gotta pass on that kind of news.

Ok so I bought a 2002 pcm flashed it with a good 2002 corvette vin I repined the car and i have a few wires from the 1998 that there is no place for them in the 2002 pin out. now the car starts and idles but i'm getting a p1689 and a p1638 code, and a charging system fault on the heads up display. any ides where to look because i can find anything in the pin out sheets

Good job getting that far. The extra wires are normal. I am traveling for the next month so I won't have access to much of my info. I am curious who controls the heads up display. With a little homework it might be possible to figure out how to make it happy.

The P1638 is a given as the 2002 PCM wants to control the charging. I am pretty sure that everyone who does this upgrade just turns off that code by going to Engine Diag>DTC's>setting P1638 to "No error reported". That is what I do.

The P1689 appears to be Delivered Torque Circuit Fault. This one will take me so researching. While "delivered torque" info is really important on later models for trans control, I am not sure how much it matters on yours. It might just be for traction babysitters.

Flew 3.5 hours today. Early in the morning is another 3.5 then a 10.5 hour flight so I doubt that I will be able to do much for at least another day...but I love this stuff. I will do as much as I can to get answers asap.

Good job getting that far. The extra wires are normal. I am traveling for the next month so I won't have access to much of my info. I am curious who controls the heads up display. With a little homework it might be possible to figure out how to make it happy.

The P1638 is a given as the 2002 PCM wants to control the charging. I am pretty sure that everyone who does this upgrade just turns off that code by going to Engine Diag>DTC's>setting P1638 to "No error reported". That is what I do.

The P1689 appears to be Delivered Torque Circuit Fault. This one will take me so researching. While "delivered torque" info is really important on later models for trans control, I am not sure how much it matters on yours. It might just be for traction babysitters.

Flew 3.5 hours today. Early in the morning is another 3.5 then a 10.5 hour flight so I doubt that I will be able to do much for at least another day...but I love this stuff. I will do as much as I can to get answers asap.
    thank you for all the info i am off the rest of the year so i will have alot of time to play with it.

one thing i forgot to mention is the motor will not rev. it sounds like the fuel cut off hits it about 2000 rpms any ideas?