Thread: Chevelle inside!-Learning to tune my car

Chevelle inside!-Learning to tune my car

72' Chevelle-Full weight
    2003 lq9-ported 243 heads w/ all needed valve-trane upgrades(11.1-1 static), 228/232 cam, 50# gm injectors(12613412), stock MAF, intake manifold and t/b. 1 3/4" full length headers.
    4l80e- Circle D single disc 3400 converter
    4.10 posi

I have been reading, watching videos and learning for about a year. I have hp tuners pro and have installed a daytona wideband. Once I got the stock engine/trans installed, I played with the stock tune and made some improvements.
    Now that I have made some real modifications, its time to do more in depth tuning. I got the car running and driving after the heads/cam/injectors/converter swap. It has a long ways to-go before its correct though. I need yall's help looking at my set-up and guiding me in the right direction for getting the most out of my set-up

Thanks, Markchevelle3.jpgchevelle2.jpgchevelle.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by knappweld; 11-27-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    72' Chevelle- 6.0L - 4L80E - 4.10 gears

Some of the "hard" stuff is done if it's running okay and not being a pain to drive.

Based on the fuel trims from that log file and looking at the tune file, the VE and MAF curve still look completely stock as of right now. Those two tables are some of your biggest concerns or things you will need to address. Because of the camshaft change the airflow tables are now pretty far off and need to be corrected.

I also wouldn't suggest flat lining the high octane table like that at 25 degree's, leave it stock looking with a nice slope. You want to run more timing under low load situations and have lower timing under heavy throttle. You can still shoot for 25 degree's at WOT but you don't need the whole table to be that way.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ya, parts of the tune are totally stock and others I worked on to get it running/driving.
    Sounds good on the timing and airflow tables. I'll keep digging and learning so I can make the appropriate changes.

Quote Originally Posted by knappweld View Post
    Ya, parts of the tune are totally stock and others I worked on to get it running/driving.
    Sounds good on the timing and airflow tables. I'll keep digging and learning so I can make the appropriate changes.
    The Chevelle looks great.

There are some very skilled tuners on this forum, so I think you will get it dialed-in.
    2001 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by KFZ)^ View Post
    The Chevelle looks great.

There are some very skilled tuners on this forum, so I think you will get it dialed-in.

Thank you. I have got it dialed in pretty well now (at least I believe so...).
    It fires right up, burns rubber, gets up and goes pretty good for a heavy car. I'm tinkering with the timing and shift points to get them maximized.
    -Mark
    72' Chevelle- 6.0L - 4L80E - 4.10 gears

Potential Tuner
    I know this is and old thread but was wondering if by chance you can post your dialed in tune. I have almost the exact setup other than mine is in a s10. I just recently bought hp tuners and would like to see yours as a reference point to get me a little more knowledge on what I will ne changing.
    Last edited by Dsholly; 06-28-2020 at 03:00 PM.