Thread: 1999 LS1 ECU , no egr input reading from wideband controller

Tuner in Training

1999 LS1 ECU , no egr input reading from wideband controller

I have installed a 99 Camaro engine/trans into my BMW and have been running it for about 2 years. Recently bought and installed a wideband controller and installed the output to C1 Blue pin 55. The scanner is set up correctly to receive the input, but it does not read any voltage. EGR is enabled in the tune. If I connect it to pin C of the ac pressure sensor [goes to C2 (red) pin 14] it works perfectly. I have ac in the car, and rather not have a switch to toggle between the two. Is there an other settings to change in the tune for it to read through egr. Its a standard OS. I will upload the tune file tonight.
    Much appreciated

Did you add the ground wire from the computer too?

My 2006 Sierra was a different computer but I had to add both the power wire and ground wire.

Like pin 55 and pin 41 or something on my year PCM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I only connected the voltage output from the controller to 55, and the pin 41 was the controllers ground wire (sensor wire, not heater ground). Then I tried using only pin 55, and a separate chassis ground, still no reading.
    Thanks for the reply

Tuner in Training
    11.28_read_vcm_VE_turning_day1(clint11.30_idle_good + firing order change).hpt

tune is incomplete, a coworker is VE tuning it when time permits but shows egr enabled

Yea, I am about to do the same thing. PID.2801 Do I just 'transform' it to 2801 in the window under 'user defined' in scanner? And does the EGR airflow Rate vs. vacuum TABLE need to be maxxed so the "EGR" (ie. the Wideband) will be powered? Maybe this is why ZJM861 has no success? Hope this helps...

No transform needed just add EGR parameter and commanded AFR to Channel, save these two .xml's to your math folder. Load them to the Maths>User defined and then load all three to your chart. The WB EGR Err .xml will be you error parameter in your Graph. And yes you need to make sure the EGR function is enabled.

Ed M
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Hoepfully you get it figured out because that VE table is whacked.

It's got some HUGE numbers in it that aren't even possible to see on a standard NA engine. You should never really see numbers over 105kpa but that one has upwards of 160 in it. Just so you know you need to tune the secondary VE table too, they need to almost match. Currently they are way way different and likely causing you many problems tuning.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    No transform needed just add EGR parameter and commanded AFR to Channel, save these two .xml's to your math folder. Load them to the Maths>User defined and then load all three to your chart. The WB EGR Err .xml will be you error parameter in your Graph. And yes you need to make sure the EGR function is enabled.

Ed M
    Thanks Ed,

I added AFR to Gauge, I added AFR and EGR to chart vs. time. Having problems saving your .xml 's anywhere. Added both to channels but, when I save to documents and when I look for them in Maths they're not there to open? Tried dragging and dropping, tried copy/paste. No luck. I have an AEM AFR 4110 and was confident last night - now I'm dangling, wondering where to put this .xml info in.

Thanks,
    Jef
    Last edited by JefTek; 12-01-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JefTek View Post
    Thanks Ed,

I added AFR to Gauge, I added AFR and EGR to chart vs. time. Having problems saving your .xml 's anywhere. Added both to channels but, when I save to documents and when I look for them in Maths they're not there to open? Tried dragging and dropping, tried copy/paste. No luck. I have an AEM AFR 4110 and was confident last night - now I'm dangling, wondering where to put this .xml info in.

Thanks,
    Jef
    Jeff, they both get saved to Documents>HP Tuners>VCM Scanner>Maths. They don't get saved to Channels. Then go to Tools>Math Parameters>Maths - Users. Click an open slot, the Folder/Disc icons will illuminate next to the red X. Click the Folder icon and it will take you to your Maths Folder. Double click the .xml you saved. Do this for both. Now they are saved in your Maths section and are accessed through the Parameter Selector tabnle like any other Chart/Graph selection except you go down to the Maths>User Defined to access them.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Hoepfully you get it figured out because that VE table is whacked.

It's got some HUGE numbers in it that aren't even possible to see on a standard NA engine. You should never really see numbers over 105kpa but that one has upwards of 160 in it. Just so you know you need to tune the secondary VE table too, they need to almost match. Currently they are way way different and likely causing you many problems tuning.
    We are only modding the secondary ve table since we have open loop disabled/doesnt read the main ve table. Or do i need to copy and paste the values to the main ve each time I flash it? I lm sure I read that when you leave SD mode, that's when you copy the secondary ve to main ve and blend. just got the idle dialed in at operating temperature, so gonna do some light load logging.
    Thanks for the help

The .xml 's definitively are in the vcm scanner maths now for sure they are there. When I go to Tools>Math Parameters>Math there's nothing to see there. Actually it only goes: Users>HPTuners>VCM Scanner>Maths: "No items match your search"... What am I doing wrong? This should be so simple to convert a channel. I've read and re read the how-to at least a dozen times and when I checked the file under HPTuners in my documents the .xml files are there but they are both 1kb in size but in your post it says they are 197 bytes and 160 bytes respectively?? This new version of VCM Scanner I'm running has a button for "new variable" which can take me directly to AEM AFR 4110 but I cannot for the life of me assign PID2801 to BE the AFR or vise-versa. Am I trying to convert EGR > AFR or is it the other way around? I think there's new stuff on this software that makes it difficult for anyone who isn't running exactly the same VCM Scanner program but I could be wrong on that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The .xml 's definitively are in the vcm scanner maths now for sure they are there. When I go to Tools>Math Parameters>Math there's nothing to see there. Actually it only goes: Users>HPTuners>VCM Scanner>Maths: "No items match your search"... What am I doing wrong? This should be so simple to convert a channel. I've read and re read the how-to at least a dozen times and when I checked the file under HPTuners in my documents the .xml files are there but they are both 1kb in size but in your post it says they are 197 bytes and 160 bytes respectively?? This new version of VCM Scanner I'm running has a button for "new variable" which can take me directly to AEM AFR 4110 but I cannot for the life of me assign PID2801 to BE the AFR or vise-versa. Am I trying to convert EGR > AFR or is it the other way around? I think there's new stuff on this software that makes it difficult for anyone who isn't running exactly the same VCM Scanner program but I could be wrong on that.
    Don't see the EGR parameter in your channel table, Should be in volts. What WB are you using? The voltage range will be 0 to 5v and the AFR range will be defined in the WB manual. Use out attached calculator to develop the "transform" formula for the EGR voltage. try to get the WB at least reporting to the Chart....

Ed M

[email protected]

IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1504.jpg
    Don't see the EGR parameter in your channel table, Should be in volts. What WB are you using? The voltage range will be 0 to 5v and the AFR range will be defined in the WB manual. Use out attached calculator to develop the "transform" formula for the EGR voltage. try to get the WB at least reporting to the Chart....

Ed M
    Like this:
    AEM AFR 4110

That looks good for the MATH portion but they are pink because you must not be logging EGR or the AIR Fuel Commanded parameters in you Channel table.

Ed M

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ZJM861 View Post
    We are only modding the secondary ve table since we have open loop disabled/doesnt read the main ve table. Or do i need to copy and paste the values to the main ve each time I flash it? I lm sure I read that when you leave SD mode, that's when you copy the secondary ve to main ve and blend. just got the idle dialed in at operating temperature, so gonna do some light load logging.
    Thanks for the help

How'd the primary VE get so whacked if you've only been touching the secondary?

Those numbers are just so large and nothing you should be having in there. The secondary VE needs help too, there is a huge dip right in the middle where it goes from 120's to 104 back to 120's and still those numbers are rather high for a NA engine. Overall something is just seems off in the way someone was gathering data and putting it towards the tables.

Like This?:

IMG_1506.jpg[/attach]IMG_1507.jpg
    that looks good for the math portion but they are pink because you must not be logging egr or the air fuel commanded parameters in you channel table.

Ed m
    Last edited by JefTek; 12-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Yes...how about the AIR Fuel Commanded parameter and then the AFR Err math?

Ed M

[email protected]

That's not them? What am I missing now?

That's not them? What am I missing now?
    Your two attachments are of the same math expression

Ed M

[email protected]