Thread: More Air = smaller MAF numbers? Help me understand the basic concept of Tuning.

Tuner in Training

More Air = smaller MAF numbers? Help me understand the basic concept of Tuning.

Hello Gurus.
    I have a LSA CTS-V and totally new to tuning.
    Please spare some of your time for me to check if I understood everything right so far.

I'm not planning to tune my car myself right now but would like to try in the near future.
    and at least, I would like to be able to understand what is happening to my car everytime my tuner gives me an update.

So I'm looking up youtube videos and studying the tune file from my tuner to understand the basic concept first.

As I guess, the basic concept of tuning is to calibrate the air flow on the MAF table first as much as more air the new larger intake can suck up (or also smaller SC pulley in my case)
    then accordingly increase the injector flow to match the stoichiometry AFR.
    Last, callibrate the spark advance as faster the engine runs.
    after that look for knock retards and adjust the spark retard or injector flow to eliminate it.

Would this be the correct basic concept of tuning?
    Of course I know it's hell lot more complicated and professional but for today, I wanna check if I understood the file so far.

And also... I see the MAF airflow number getting smaller everytime my tune gets updated.
    Does smaller MAF airflow number mean more airflow? Like is my car getting faster?

Thanks guys and have a great weekend.

Tuning Addict
    I assume that you have a good wide band installed and your tuner is going by this? Smaller numbers means that he's pulling fuel out - doesn't necessarily mean that you've got less air or more power - just means that it was overly rich and is being compensated for.

Injector flow rate you adjust to match the actual injectors. This info should be provided by the injector manufacturers if possible (or GM if they are OEM injectors)

Adjust MAF to make actual AFR and commanded AFR match (and fuel trims close to 0)

Adjust VE table, also to make actual AFR and commanded AFR match (and fuel trims close to 0)

Adjust spark for peak power/torque or sometimes less on FI applications to avoid adding extra holes in the block

And that's about as close to a 50,000 ft overview as I can make

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Injector flow rate you adjust to match the actual injectors. This info should be provided by the injector manufacturers if possible (or GM if they are OEM injectors)

Adjust MAF to make actual AFR and commanded AFR match (and fuel trims close to 0)

Adjust VE table, also to make actual AFR and commanded AFR match (and fuel trims close to 0)

Adjust spark for peak power/torque or sometimes less on FI applications to avoid adding extra holes in the block

And that's about as close to a 50,000 ft overview as I can make
    I like that.... If only tuning were so simple
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC