Thread: Need Help/Ideas with random idle issue

Need Help/Ideas with random idle issue

2012 Camaro LFX with stock internals, just bolt ons. The engine is a replacement from a 2015 with 7k miles on it installed 2 months ago. Never had the issue with the original motor. The car randomly will fluctuate timing/TPS readings at idle. The logging looks like a heartbeat. Timing will vary from -3 up to +25 degrees and TPS 1.6 up to 4%, then repeats. It doesn't do this every time i stop, but a lot of the time which makes it harder to diagnose. So far i have replaced the intake and TB gaskets, MAF sensor, Purge Solenoid, Brake booster check valve, and the hoses to my catch can. Car drives good and ltft while driving are +/- 3%. Any ideas?

Tried an experiment....if i turn on the AC while it is doing its surging, it stops fluctuating so much and smooths out. Here is a pic of what i am looking at...u see the spikes then smooths when i turn AC on

Last edited by benf; 11-18-2016 at 09:13 AM.

So much for the AC turning on clearing it up...just tried it again and no effect...

Could the TPS be causing it?

did you modify the MAF freq?

Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
    did you modify the MAF freq?
    Yes...its weird that it does this now that I replaced my motor in september and that is when this started. Did not do this on the old motor with same setup and same tune. I have tried multiple older tunes, but still same issue. What makes it even harder to figure out is that it is random, doesn't do it all the time.

I have now replaced Plugs, maf sensor, TPS/Throttle body, Gas pedal/APP sensor, intake gaskets, TB gaskets, purge solenoid, brake check valve, crank position sensor, and catch can hoses.

as a test, I was idling and while it was doing its surge thing I pulled the connector off the gas pedal and the surge stopped and idle leveled out.

hmm..by any chance do you have a VTC installed?

Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
    hmm..by any chance do you have a VTC installed?
    Yes, and i thought the same thing, but it did it even with it disconnected. Right now i am replacing my 4 o2 sensors. I have 98k miles on it and figure it couldnt hurt. I have replaced 3 of them already and waiting for the 4th to show up today. Does seem to have the issue less often now, so maybe there was an issue with the sensors cause i never cleaned them after i blew the last motor up. Guess the real test will be after i get the 4th sensor installed.

Advanced Tuner
    If you still have the issue, post up a log of it when it is happening.

And also included your list of modifications.

Here is a short log showing whats going on. I have now replaced the 4 o2 sensors as well and the issue remains. Being that it doesn't do it all the time its hard to diagnose. Does it a lot though..

I also did the Throttle Cleaned function..no help

Issue starts at 1:02 on the log file posted
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by benf; 12-12-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post up the tune and also your list of modifications?

Mods are e85, 80mm tb, Solo high flow converters, under drive pulley, CAI, and HP Tuners, VTC. 3.91 gears, 3800 Circle D convertor.

Advanced Tuner
    And you had the larger throttle body and the VTC installed on the previously engine with the same tune?

If so, it didn't have this issue?

Never had the issue with the setup on the old motor. Everything is the same minus the nitrous. Like I mentioned, I tried older tunes and same issue.