Thread: What is the point of automatically logging us out after 10 or so minutes?

Banned

What is the point of automatically logging us out after 10 or so minutes?

Apart from pissing me/us off?

I'll be in the middle of writing a post, then go get a drink or answer the phone or go to the toilet or go to my garage or google something or go through my pc notes... go to finish my post and then it says I don't have permission to post it and to log in or make an account.

Like really?

I just click the keep me logged in check box on the login in screen.

I can shut my computer off and open the forum and I'm always logged in. Same with posting, I can leave for hours and still make my post later on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Banned
    I/we don't have that option when we log in normally at the top/right of the screen. Unless it's "Remember Me?".
    Probably comes up after I/we get logged out.. then you can select it. Never noticed it.

I still don't see the point of getting logged out automatically after a period of time. Why would anyone think that's a good idea and bother making it that way?

Yeah, on this one I guess it is called "remember me". On others it sometime worded different.

I believe most of this stuff comes with the layout that is built by VBulletin and that is what this site runs. It possible that a site admin could change that settings if they wished too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Banned
    Why oh why would they word it "Remember Me?" instead of "Keep Me The Phuk Logged In Until I Choose To Log Out"?

Anyways, will give it a go and see if it keeps me logged in. Thanks.

Tuner
    I belive You talk about logout after session time has passed. Nothing to do with "Remember Me" feature.
    Session time is for security and performance reasons.
    All phpbb based boards does that from default. Can be changed by admin thoe.

best regards
    Last edited by wasyl; 11-13-2016 at 03:25 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wasyl View Post
    I belive You talk about logout after session time has passed. Nothing to do with "Remember Me" feature.
    Session time is for security and performance reasons.
    All phpbb based boards does that from default. Can be changed by admin thoe.

best regards
    Thanks and yes, I'm talking about the logout after session time has passed thing..

I hate to disagree with you.. but I think that "Remember Me?" feature has done the trick. I ticked the box yesterday, didn't log out, started up my laptop 15 minutes ago, came back here and I'm still logged in. I'll try (out) letting my laptop sit/idle later while I have a HPT thread open then refresh the page, see what happens..

When you say "performance reasons", will my laptop run a bit slower if I stay logged in 24/7 or something?

Tuner
    performance at server side not end-user side, im IT geek and forgot that most of users not

best regards

Tuner in Training
    Can someone please help me. My computer got flooded with my house here in walker Louisiana and I have logged into my account on here. Is there anyway i could get another copy of the software for this computer somehow? my house and everything in it was ruined...