Thread: idle surging and car is somewhat difficult to get started. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thumbs down idle surging and car is somewhat difficult to get started. PLEASE HELP!!!!

5.3 turbo
    223/227 cam
    10 lb wastegate springs.
    no maf

car will start if feathering the throttle a bit but on most starts it dies after 2 seconds of running. then it idles, then the idle ramps and slows and ramps and slows.. vcm showing spark advance advance kicking in. after a few minutes of that it idles nicely.

i've tried russellk's idle cfg and i cant get it to display any numbers in the single cell table that it brings up... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is the third thread and you still haven't changed anything related to your injector table or the MAF fail high hz.

You said you are running like 94lb/hr injectors but the tune still remains at 50ish lb/hr injectors and the MAF fail hasn't changed for speed density.

Why won't you make those changes, you are just making this harder on yourself if you do not set those up correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

dont have time to answer at the moment. i will a b it later once im done tuning. anyone else?

Hope i didnt come off rude, i only have so long to tune before it gets too cold.
    OKAY!
    so I thought we discussed that the MAF Fail HZ variable does not apply or matter...? I'm happy to change it again but it won't fix or even change anything.

Secondly, i have actually changed my injector tables to reflect the this data using the "universal LS1 injector calculator.xls" with the manufacturer's data at the bottom of this reply. are the calculations incorrect? Because honestly it runs just fine. sometimes the idle hangs and sometimes it surges or "rolls".

Here's a simple question. how much timing advance should i be running at idle? 800-1200 rpm values.
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manufacturer's injector data:
    Coil Resistance: 12 Ohms / High Impedance
    Static Flow Rate: 850cc/min at 43.5PSI ( 300kPa )
    Gain: 0.12ms/MG
    Offset: 0.055ms
    Turn on time 1.14ms at 14VDC
    Turn off time: 0.85ms at 600KPa
    Voltage: 8-15 Volts, nominal 13.5 Volts
    Amperage: 1.0 Amps
    Pressure: Min 30PSIG/ Max 100PSIG
    Variance:3%

BTW i have a vacuum controlled FPR that is set to 56 PSI of E85.

Mid 20's for timing.

Is your fuel system setup to run at 43.5 psi or 58 psi like a standard GEN 3 normally runs. If you setup the injector table for 43.5psi but your fuel system is really running 58 psi of fuel pressure, it will be wrong.

The MAF fail high should still matter, you are wanting it to fail on first error so setting the fail to 0hz is lower than the MAF could ever read and thus it fails the MAF. It's best to set it this way so it's never a possibility to have a problem with it.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Also, 850cc at 43.5psi is around 83lb/hr injectors, your table for injector flow rate is still in the 50's.

okay i've adjusted the MAF. I see your point.

can you expand on the Fuel system portion?
    My Boost adjusting fuel pressure reg is set to about 56-58. (very small gauge ticks.)
    I put all those numbers in the injector calculator spread sheet and those are the values in the tune above. does all of that seem right?

Advanced Tuner
    Uff Da. You absolutely need the correct injector data just to start. Arent you running a return based fpr with a boost reference? If so. The flow rate is the same across the board. The help file in the editor has a really good write-up, I'd start there. Search a lot more too. Your idle sparks are a ways off of your mains, also.

Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    Uff Da. You absolutely need the correct injector data just to start. Arent you running a return based fpr with a boost reference? If so. The flow rate is the same across the board. The help file in the editor has a really good write-up, I'd start there. Search a lot more too. Your idle sparks are a ways off of your mains, also.
    thanks for the info.
    Can you elaborate on the spark part? that's where i was assuming a lot of my issues are. In the last hour or two i've actually been reverting all spark tables to GM stock 5.3 values. is there a decent base tune that i could be referencing? or is the GM stock tune considered the best base tune to begin with?

Heres my cam:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-480-11
    Brand:COMP Cams
    Manufacturer's Part Number:54-480-11
    Part Type:Camshafts
    Product Line:COMP Cams LSR Series Hydraulic Roller Camshafts
    Summit Racing Part Number:CCA-54-480-11

UPC: 036584195443
    Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
    Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,200-7,000
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227
    Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 223
    Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227 int./223 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration: 277
    Advertised Exhaust Duration: 273
    Advertised Duration: 277 int./273 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.614 in.
    Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.610 in.
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.614 int./0.610 exh.
    Lobe Separation (degrees): 115
    Camshaft Gear Attachment: 3-bolt
    Computer-Controlled Compatible: Yes
    Grind Number: 277LTBHR15

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think your new flow rate is 91lb/hr if you raised the PSI from 43.5 to 56psi of fuel pressure using those injectors.

Advanced Tuner
    That cams lobe sep isnt too far off from stock. id start with stock timing to get it running and then start tweaking on it to get more vacuum and smoother idle. probably around low to mid 20's as stated above. Your injector flow rate is way off. I would definitely start with that. It also should be the same flow all the way across. Just search more. There was a ton of of injector posts around when Greg Banish released his How-To videos. That thing should idle pretty dam smooth around 700 rpm or even lower.

I have not seen those videos. I will convert my entire spark tab to original GM for my engine. Im also replacing almost all of the injector tables with the same values that someone running the same injectors. which is where i originally got 94.3 @ 58PSI. (just checked those emails from almost a year ago)

alright, here is my updated tune. lots of white smoke. lots of spark correction tables disabled, almost all stock airflow/VE/ spark tables. car starts and is wayyyyyy rich then idles kinda hard and high.. I followed the hptuners "converting your ls1 to e85" guide. please halp!!

basetune.hplbase tune.hpt

stole some spark tables from someone with a similar cam profile "whack shack nova 5.3" from sloppy mechanics hptuners base tune cabinet.. hard to start still but still not idleing right. it's in the log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You Ve in the idle are is way to high thats why its rich. Larger cams need less gas at idle . Your gas washing your cylinder walls and oil . Pull your dip stick if it smells like gas change your oil . DOnt want to see you ruin your motor.
    If you think its to rich pull your fuel pump relay then start it to clear the gas out the cylinders . I bet it idles fine for few seconds.
    You said you read russellk's idle cfg this one the first things he talks about, the camshaft being less efficient at idle and needing less gas. I would suggest you go back and reread.
    Are you sure your Map sensor values are right. I see you have a 2bar map.
    I used these values off matts site for my map sensor. That could also be why your idles erratic.
    GM 2 bar map sensor Linear and offsets for HPtuners software
    MAP Sensor Linear: 207.66
    MAP Sensor Offset: 9
    I would , I did put my stock injectors back in one thing at a time.
    Last edited by Mrich0908; 11-12-2016 at 06:22 PM.

can you explain to me what matt's site is?
    also i said i downloaded and used russellks idle.cfg file. which is a vcm scanner preset. if there's a guide i would love to see it.

also, this is a fresh lm7 turbo build in a car that was never GM or LS and never had original injectors.