Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modded C7 Z06

Tuner in Training

Modded C7 Z06

Have a c7 z06 M7 car with an upper pulley, headers and CAI on 93.

Car is pulling timing hard due to IAT 2's even in 65 degree weather. How do you guys typically set up the IAT spark base area? I will upload my tune if anyone has any pointers...
    Attached Files Attached Files

What are your IAT2's when you see spark being pulled? How much spark is being pulled? What PID are you monitoring to determine spark activity?

My apologies for not looking at the attachments at this time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    What are your IAT2's when you see spark being pulled? How much spark is being pulled? What PID are you monitoring to determine spark activity?

My apologies for not looking at the attachments at this time.
    The IAT2 beginning on that run was 120, it decreases as the run commences. It looks to pull around 8+ degrees.

The car sat over an hour before that run, so I am at a loss in combating this. Obviously methanol would help, but its still going to heat soak sitting there prior to the run or during the burnout.

I have a flex fuel sensor that I have yet to install. About at my wits end with this car lol.

Log Manifold Air Temp instead of IAT2.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a log from today
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Log Manifold Air Temp instead of IAT2.
    You have to log IAT2 if you want to see IAT in manifold. I was logging Manifold Air Temp thinking it was the IAT in the MAP until I started a car with the map unplugged and it still read temp. IAT2 didnt read with the map unplugged.

Are you seeing IAT2 go down/lower at WOT? I think that's one of the big issues with not trusting the IAT2 value.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you seeing IAT2 go down/lower at WOT? I think that's one of the big issues with not trusting the IAT2 value.
    My car has a modified Procharger air to water with 40 degree water temps entering the intercooler I also have meth injection so the IAT2 is always lower than IAT1 at WOT.
    The IAT Spark Advance Correction table is based off of IAT2. Without a doubt.
    Here is a screen shot of the log from the half mile this past weekend.

Halfmile run 1.jpg

If you watch IAT2 pid vs Manifold Air Temp pid on a stock blower style vehicle, the IAT2 pid behavior doesn't make sense.

I agree, the table is "not IAT1."

Advanced Tuner
    If you watch IAT2 pid vs Manifold Air Temp pid on a stock blower style vehicle, the IAT2 pid behavior doesn't make sense.

I agree, the table is "not IAT1."
    I agree but if you unplug the map sensor on the back of the blower it will still read Manifold air temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
    I agree but if you unplug the map sensor on the back of the blower it will still read Manifold air temp.
    So it may mean manifold air temp is a calculated value but it doesn't tell us which one it uses for fueling and spark.

My IAT table pulls spark based on Manifold Air Temp, not IAT2.....at least that's what it appears to do based on the logs I have made.

I agree with you though in that if there is a physical sensor with real data it should be using that, but even on a stock Z06 IAT2 stays very cool vs how much IAT spark retard is present, but MAT does not.

Advanced Tuner
    So it may mean manifold air temp is a calculated value but it doesn't tell us which one it uses for fueling and spark.

My IAT table pulls spark based on Manifold Air Temp, not IAT2.....at least that's what it appears to do based on the logs I have made.

I agree with you though in that if there is a physical sensor with real data it should be using that, but even on a stock Z06 IAT2 stays very cool vs how much IAT spark retard is present, but MAT does not.
    On my 16 Z06 if I unplug the MAP sensor and also the MAF sensor the manifold air temp still displays a temperature, but if I unplug the ambient air temp sensor along with the other two sendors Manifold air temp doesnt display a temperature.
    I dont want to tune based off of a calculated air temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
    On my 16 Z06 if I unplug the MAP sensor and also the MAF sensor the manifold air temp still displays a temperature, but if I unplug the ambient air temp sensor along with the other two sendors Manifold air temp doesnt display a temperature.
    I dont want to tune based off of a calculated air temperature.
    I agree but if IAT2 cools off as you increase boost and RPM then that's not right either (on a stock Z06).

So if the IAT table uses Manifold Air Temp, calculated or not, but you are trying to adjust it based on IAT2, then you are adjusting based on the wrong criteria.

Granted in your case, with meth and a different intercooler, it's not that you are tuning off IAT2 or a calculated temp, it's that it is irrelevant since you wouldn't even need the table at all, except for potentially adding timing with cold IATs.

I agree but if IAT2 cools off as you increase boost and RPM then that's not right either (on a stock Z06).

So if the IAT table uses Manifold Air Temp, calculated or not, but you are trying to adjust it based on IAT2, then you are adjusting based on the wrong criteria.

Granted in your case, with meth and a different intercooler, it's not that you are tuning off IAT2 or a calculated temp, it's that it is irrelevant since you wouldn't even need the table at all, except for potentially adding timing with cold IATs.
    Manifold temp is a calculated value that is biased around coolant temp as well as air temp. Its also the temp that the controller uses to calculate GMVE. In reality its the real temp that is going by the intake valve which is more accurate for fueling and spark. I think HPT has an issue in how these values are interpreted.
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Might just be a logging issue on the intake temp PID...

Quick question, been literally 10 years since I tuned anything with HP Tuners. Is the PE EQ Ratio RPM (Alcohol) table used at all for Z06 models? I presume not if the hardwire flex fuel sensor is not enabled. But, rather than waste 15 seconds copying the main table over ever time I change something may as well ask those who use this software daily.

I timed myself and the copy paste took 1.64 seconds.

So, you don't know either whether the table is actually used?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
    So, you don't know either whether the table is actually used?
    Mine is used. Yours is not.

If alcohol % = 0 then it's only using the (gas) tables

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    If alcohol % = 0 then it's only using the (gas) tables
    Thanks. If a flex fuel sensor is added and alky value changes, does it do a linear transformation from one table to the other as a function of alky %?