Thread: tuning help for thumper cam in lm7

Potential Tuner

tuning help for thumper cam in lm7

Hey guys I'm new to the world of tuning and need some help . I have a fresh lm7 5.3 ,hooker long tubes, full hooker ls swap exhaust and 4l60e trans bracket ,new valve springs ,comp thumpr 275t. The lm7 is a drive by wire setup and is a 2003 Silverado engine . I swapped it in my 85 c10 swb and am at the tuning point . I bought hp tuners and googled a lot and read a lot on this forum and it helped me get to the ok idle and ok drive performance . My problem is it will not idle with out being rich and it will not idle well in gear at all and slightly bucks at the stop light.I followed a few tunes posted up here and no luck .I also tried the repository and downloaded different tunes and compared them also copied and pasted with no luck either. No one seems to tune the cam I have . Thanks guys for the help ahead of time .

Well copy and pasting someones elses work is never going to get you far. Not every engine and setup is the exact same and not everyone lives in the exact same place so the tunes are never going to correct for everyone.

You need to take the time and tune this thing yourself, it really doesn't matter that not many people use that cam because you'll have to tune the engine for what it wants anyway.

Start with VE tuning, then working with the MAF. Fix any idle problems you have along the way but many times fixing the VE and MAF do wonders for overall drivability.

Grab yourself a wideband too because you are going to need it. Read up on VE tuning in speed density and that'll be one of the first things you want to do. Also make sure any injector related tables are correct if you swapped those or if you used the stockers from the 5.3.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Well copy and pasting someones elses work is never going to get you far. Not every engine and setup is the exact same and not everyone lives in the exact same place so the tunes are never going to correct for everyone.

You need to take the time and tune this thing yourself, it really doesn't matter that not many people use that cam because you'll have to tune the engine for what it wants anyway.

Start with VE tuning, then working with the MAF. Fix any idle problems you have along the way but many times fixing the VE and MAF do wonders for overall drivability.

Grab yourself a wideband too because you are going to need it. Read up on VE tuning in speed density and that'll be one of the first things you want to do. Also make sure any injector related tables are correct if you swapped those or if you used the stockers from the 5.3.

Thanks for the advice . I purchased a few ls tuning books and have been reading them every chance I get . I am still learning about basic tuning and speed density tune . Its making sense of all the options that get me hung . I Do learn a lot from the description I get at the bottom of the editor... it helps .But finding a basic place to start on the ve table , maf , and air flow for me is not working I'm still learning what all the values mean through error lol. I Also tried to enroll in the seminars to teach me how to program but there are non within my driving distance . So once a gain thanks for the help I felt like I lost my shit for a minute but glad you guys are out there !I will look at some books and info on ve tables and maf like you suggested

Senior Tuner
    Check out the tuning tutorial created by the member motown. The guide is $65 and the time it saves having all the information in one place is worth it. He includes detailed information that will teach you how to tune your setup and many different extras such as spreadsheets and VCM Scanner graphs and config. It is much easier to get started with a guide like his than trying to collect information from everywhere and put it all together like I did at first.

http://ermperformancetuning.com/

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Check out the tuning tutorial created by the member motown. The guide is $65 and the time it saves having all the information in one place is worth it. He includes detailed information that will teach you how to tune your setup and many different extras such as spreadsheets and VCM Scanner graphs and config. It is much easier to get started with a guide like his than trying to collect information from everywhere and put it all together like I did at first.

http://ermperformancetuning.com/
    Thanks for the info ! I will take a look at the web link you put up !. It sounds like it will help a lot because you hit the nail on the head ... scrounging for tuning tips from all over and then trying to put it all together has not helped me at all. I'm just trying to get a starting point and learn how to tune correctly and not hack .