Thread: PCM substitution

Potential Tuner

PCM substitution

Greetings: I am having a bad time locating a PCM for my 1999 Lightning.
    I see every day where people install superchargers and tune regular 1999 F150s
    They run fine.

Q: Can I get a PCM for a regular plain Jane vanilla 1999 F150/4r100, then have my
    Lightning firmware flashed and run it OK?

The lightning has an output for the intercooler pump, (But that is easy to get around)

There is no "boost" signal on a Lightning PCM, (no boost reference)

Im thinking that the basic box-board
    is the same....with the calibration that makes them different.

Thoughts please?

Hey oldgringo,
    Check out the link below. It lists the pcms that are interchangeable on your truck.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...nge-chart.html
    99 silverado 1500 5.3, 30 over, all new ported, polished, and milled heads 30 thou, 220 226 custom BEI cam. 2" intake valves, ported & polished TB, Long tube ceramic coated headers, magna flow cats, y pipe, 3" magnaflow, vera ram air intake, I6 TB stall, All new Drivetrain, 3 Trans coolers, Auburn E-Locker, 4.56 gears, Throttle body bypass, Flex-a-Lite E-Fans, LS1 e-fan harness, ASP Under Drive Pullleys, HP Tuner Pro. 1 Bar MAP SD OS upgrade. Amsoil EA Bypass Oil Filtration system.

Tuner in Training
    To avoid changing anything else, you'd need to go by the hardware number on your PCM, yours should be MLC-482. Looks like those were used 99-01, and again in 2004. As long as the hardware is the same, even if it is like a 2001 with CXN1 box code, your strategy can be flashed onto it.