Thread: Does anyone tune their LS1 with VCM Suite STANDARD and with a 4.9 LSU controller???

Banned

Does anyone tune their LS1 with VCM Suite STANDARD and with a 4.9 LSU controller???

Everyone seems to use/own the PRO interface and old 4.2 LSU sensors/controllers...

All I'm trying to figure out is which wideband controller I should/can buy which uses 4.9 LSU 02's and which works with VCM Suite Standard... and no one seems to be 100% sure, including HPT.
    I don't want to spend $300 on a controller then wait 1-4 weeks for it to arrive, only to find out it isn't compatible with VCM Suite Standard.

I'm a "little" + over Hp Tuners not being able to help me regarding this. It's like buying a Chevy, only being able to turn the ignition on and check out the gauges, not knowing what fuel it takes, then asking Chevy/GM about it and them telling you "sorry, unleaded MIGHT work, but we're not sure. Try our forum".
    Like wft?
    It's not like new aftermarket controllers are being released every day and it's not like there are millions of different brands and models.

Can't HPT figure out if some wideband controller will work with their product by just checking out the specs or something + can't they get in contact with AEM (for eg.) and get AEM to send them their newest stock to try out (like whenever a new model gets released, they send a controller to HPT) then send it back to AEM with a small note or short email telling them if it's compatible with HP Tuners and/or even some feedback.. so they both benefit (eg. "AEM new model 05-5110-blah-blah: Compatible with HP Tuners!!")??
    Something along those ^ lines.

Banned
    Forgot.
    Those of you who do own/use VCM Suite STANDARD + 4.9 LSU sensors/controllers.. can you please tell me what controller you use.

Getting desperate..
    and I'm over thinking that buying a scanner/tuner was a good idea. Top 5 worst decision of my life. Easily.

Sure, it'll work. With a standard interface and not being able to use the CAN system like on the newer vehicles you will just have to wire the wideband in via the EGR or AC circuit. Possible that you can use the serial input aswell.

Pretty much all the most recent widebands run that bosch 4.9 LSU sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Forgot.
    Those of you who do own/use VCM Suite STANDARD + 4.9 LSU sensors/controllers.. can you please tell me what controller you use.

Getting desperate..
    and I'm over thinking that buying a scanner/tuner was a good idea. Top 5 worst decision of my life. Easily.
    As someone once said to me..."Step back from the ledge!!!" ;-) If I am not mistaken, the AEM 30-0333 X series wide-band does not use the serial interface, but instead has a bridge OBDII cable. So no having to wire the wideband in via the EGR or AC circuit. This should work with the Standard as opposed to the Pro...
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

Banned
    Thank you very much, guys.

@Jggregory99: I'm going to buy the AEM 30-4110N(o)S(ensor) then, since it's about half the price of the AEM 30-0333 kit + I don't see much difference between the two.

I can't believe how overly-complicated this whole tuning thing is. I'm still at the "organizing and buying components" stage and my head is about to explode. I'm sure it WILL explode when I fiiiiiiiiiiiinally (or should I say - hopefully) start tuning. Ridiculous. Should've tried building a time/space-warping spaceship instead, or a small and "simple" (compared to engine tuning) teleport machine.

Tuner
    I use HPT standard and a innovate LC2 everyday with a serial to usb adapter. The only issue I have is if you stop the scanner you MUST close the scanner completely out and reopen it or the serial wideband with be blank.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I use HPT standard and a innovate LC2 everyday with a serial to usb adapter. The only issue I have is if you stop the scanner you MUST close the scanner completely out and reopen it or the serial wideband with be blank.
    Thanks a lot. I was going to buy the AEM 30-0333NS today, but it only showed 1 cable in the ebay sellers ad/pics so I asked him "why is there only 1 cable in the kit instead of 2 (not including the 02 sensor)" and he replied "there is no 02 sensor in the kit" - like no shyt..

So I'm now going to buy the LC2 since it works for you + "FixedRoof" on here recommended it in my other similar thread + that was my original choice + it comes with 7,284 cables.

Do you have the LC2 #3877 or LC2 #3795 (with that hot perfect gauge)?

If you are interested in the 30-0333 I Wouldn't get it off of Ebay. Jeg's has the entire kit with the 4.9 LSU sensor for $222.75... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0333

Just FYI...

Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

To all,

Please take note that the 0330 will only interface to 2008+ vehicles via the OBD II pass through interface so Gen III platforms and early Gen IV's will require the serial or analog interface as well. As these do not come populated in the as-delivered package (which for the life of me I don't understand ), you will have to pick up new pins (specified in the manual) on-line and fabricate wires runs to interface the later, depending on which you elect to use. I am waiting on my pins so I can build these additional interface cables and test out my new unit on my 04 vette.

A great vendor as well is Modern Automotive Performance...their order statusing and customer service is above all I have seen to-date.

Ed M

20161028_140530.jpg

LOL Jason.....Back away from the ledge is one of my most favorite responses on this Forum :-)
    Last edited by mowton; 10-28-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    To all,

Please take note that the 0330 will only interface to 2008+ vehicles via the OBD II pass through interface so Gen III platforms and early Gen IV's will require the serial or analog interface as well. As these do not come populated in the as-delivered package (which for the life of me I don't understand ), you will have to pick up new pins (specified in the manual) on-line and fabricate wires runs to interface the later, depending on which you elect to use. I am waiting on my pins so I can build these additional interface cables and test out my new unit on my 04 vette.

A great vendor as well is Modern Automotive Performance...their order statusing and customer service is above all I have seen to-date.

Ed M

20161028_140530.jpg

LOL Jason.....Back away from the ledge is one of my most favorite responses on this Forum :-)
    I like the box...! Nice... What did you construct it from, or did you find a pre-made case somewhere...?

As far as the LEDGE thing...WELL GEE... WONDER where I heard that.... Oh yeah, I remember now... YOU....! LOL ;-)

Radio Shack...less than $5. Need a bunch of other items like gromets for the drilled holes, strain relief/zip tie (self stick to inside of box, 5 amp fused Power plug etc. Also the hole is 2.060 which is impossible to find (2.125 is the closest) I had a 2.250 hole saw so I cut strips of plastic from the hole piece and "closed" the hoe up around the gauge in 4 places.

Ordered pins to fabricate/install the serial and analog interface cables to round out its capabilities.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    If you are interested in the 30-0333 I Wouldn't get it off of Ebay. Jeg's has the entire kit with the 4.9 LSU sensor for $222.75... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0333

Just FYI...

Thank you. But I'm going to buy Innovate 3877 LC-2 hopefully tomorrow. Just waiting for my VCM Suite package to arrive first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Also the hole is 2.060 which is impossible to find (2.125 is the closest) I had a 2.250 hole saw so I cut strips of plastic from the hole piece and "closed" the hoe up around the gauge in 4 places.

Ed M
    I just use my dremel for that sort of thing and $5 Chinese Ebay Special tungsten carbide cone-shaped bit.

..like butterrr